whats the best diet?

Options
I am a strong believer in 'healthy eating' and not fad diets.
My weight loss has been slow but steady, now i need help to speed it up.

What do you think is the best diet and why?? (im a vegetarian but happy to hear about all types)

Replies

• theMightyAnt
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm going to regret saying this, as I too don't believe in 'diets' but I also realise you have asked for advice so I'll try

There is no 'best' diet, except the one that works for you, I can't give you any more 'why' than that. What works for one may not work for you. Is there a reason why you suddenly want to speed up? eg: holiday?

I can't see your food diary to see how you eat and exercise to see if there are other avenues available. (feel free to add me if you want and I'll take a look)

As far as specific diets go, other friends I know, including vegetarians, have seen great results through Dukan and Paleo. So much so (in both cases) that I was ALMOST tempted myself. However most evidence seems to show that the majority of people put the weight back on really quickly if they stop the 'diet' therefore I would suggest a food lifestyle and exercise regime that you can adhere to. What sort of exercise are you currently doing?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is no 'best' diet, except the one that works for you, I can't give you any more 'why' than that. What works for one may not work for you.

I completely agree. Some people need to do low carb to lose weight, while I do just fine eating carbs. I think anyone can benefit by eating lots of vegetables, lean protein (not meat for you, obviously), whole grains, and as little processed/prepackaged food as possible. I would say keep the sodium down, but if you aren't eating boxed food, chances are it isn't an issue for you.

What is the rush for wanting to speed up the weight loss? People who lose fast are usually the ones who put the weight back on after reaching goal. Unfortunately, slow and steady really does win the race. I know it is frustrating...I am almost 6 months into this and still haven't lost my original 30 pound goal.
  • tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks yeh im generally a believer of slow is better than fast, and im proud im actually losing weight as this is my first attempt to lose weight ever.

however I am heading back to university in end august/ beginning september and would really like to have lost quite a bit more. and by the results so far i am only losing half a pound a week.
  • atla_moves
    Options
    So, just create a greater calorie deficit? Lower your calories a bit, or exercise a bit more.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't consider this a diet but I eat more frequent smaller meals 5-6 a day. It works for me.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't have a best diet, but i have a diet proverb! "eat until you're 8/10ths full."

It sounds so easy but makes sense :)