Scale Jump?

Options
hello! I'm fairly new here... Been on here consistently for about 3 weeks. Anyways, I have been weighing myself everyday for motivational purposes (good or bad?) and from yesterday to today, the scale jumped 3.4 pounds up from where I was. It was the same time of day.
What Could cause that much of a jump in 24 hours?
And... Do you find it helpful or harmful to your motivation to weigh yourself everyday?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary so we can see what you're eating. I'm guessing salt or your TOM is coming soon.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight if either you ate a lot of salt yesterday or if your period is due.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Salt!
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ah the magic scale jump? Welcome to weight loss my friend. I get all excited because I will drop 3, 4, maybe eve 5 lbs in a week and by the next week I put it all back on again, usually only 1 or 2 lbs at a time but I know what you mean. It's very frustrating and I've tried everything I can think of. I'm about ready just to accept that I will never lose the last 15 to 20 lbs or so and that my body just refuses to lose anymore. I've tried the Keto diet recently and lost 7 lbs in 4 days but already have gained back 4 of it in a matter of 2 days so that's not working for me. Plus I was extremely tired all the time with no carbs. On to the next plan I guess - ho hum!
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ah the magic scale jump? Welcome to weight loss my friend. I get all excited because I will drop 3, 4, maybe eve 5 lbs in a week and by the next week I put it all back on again, usually only 1 or 2 lbs at a time but I know what you mean. It's very frustrating and I've tried everything I can think of. I'm about ready just to accept that I will never lose the last 15 to 20 lbs or so and that my body just refuses to lose anymore. I've tried the Keto diet recently and lost 7 lbs in 4 days but already have gained back 4 of it in a matter of 2 days so that's not working for me. Plus I was extremely tired all the time with no carbs. On to the next plan I guess - ho hum!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally fluxuates daily, so you might get bogged down by the day to day changes
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing.. I jumped up 2 lbs on day and back down the next. Don't worry about it. Bodies fluctuate.
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    It could be all manner of things, from the salt in the food to TOM as others have suggested, but my suggestion (which is kinda TMI) but watch your bowel movements. I weigh myself daily and sometimes if it aint comin out the scale jumps.
  • Okmoose
    Okmoose Posts: 10
    Options
    The above comments are dead on also besure to weigh the 1st thing after you wake up before eating or drinking if possible. I weigh daily also but only dwell on my weekly flucuations because daily will move up and down more. If daily checks cause you to get discouraged move to a weekly weigh in. For the 1st 6 months of my weight loss I purposely did not own scales so it was not conveinient to weigh in and get down. Good luck.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right about the salt and TOM...You could try to increase your water consumption and see if that helps. You may want to stop weighing daily since your body can retain a mess load of water one day and then release it all the next.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah I weighed myself yesterday and was down 3 lbs. since my last weigh in....weighed myself again today and I was only down about .6 lb from my last weigh in...
    Last week it was the opposite...weight was up but on my official weigh in day I lost about a lb. We'll see what happens this week, weigh in is tomorrow....yeah I peek at the scale almost daily but I don't record it but weekly....it can be a motivator and the opposite. Cuz when I saw I lost 3 lb I felt like I could eat a little more....When I thought I was gaining I felt I had to be stricter..It fluctuates daily. Good luck!
  • Asatison
    Options
    I'm no longer regular any suggestions?
  • getstrongrenee15
    Options
    I jump around quite a bit too and I agree with some of the other posts it seems to relate to how much salt I've had, not enough water etc.

I find weighing myself everyday can be de-motivating and even more just causes confusion to the whole process. Whenever I fall into the trap of weighing myself everyday, I start to feel all over the place and start to second guess everything I am doing. When I stick with weighing myself once a week on the same day and around the same time, I feel like I can track real progress and see what works and what doesn't. That seems to work best for me anyway!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm always tempted to weigh daily, but I resist, since I don't think it shows the true picture, and I don't want to get down on myself. I just weigh once a week.
  • JenRedesigned
    JenRedesigned Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I have taken a closer look at my food diary and found that yes, I have consistently been over on my sodium intake!
    You all rock!
    I made some smarter decisions at the grocery store today and am increasing my water intake.

Oh, and I decided to put the scale away until Monday mornings! I thought it was helping me stay motivated and focused, but I think it was making me crazy!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    and you might find that if you do number 2's this arvo, the number might look better in the morning...

keep up the fibre to keep yourself regular, if you're not regular, that doens't help.