Doesn't seem right...hhaha

Options
I just completed an hour of my fitness coach on the wii. I am 162ibs and I am not in the best shape. :P

This is what my HRM told me:
Avg HR: 161
Highest HR: 196
Min HR: 97
Total Cal: 1,110 (does this seem right?)

I just got my HRM and spent an hour yesterday setting it up. I know i did it right.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I just completed an hour of my fitness coach on the wii. I am 162ibs and I am not in the best shape. :P

This is what my HRM told me:
    Avg HR: 161
    Highest HR: 196
    Min HR: 97
    Total Cal: 1,110 (does this seem right?)

I just got my HRM and spent an hour yesterday setting it up. I know i did it right.

A good pace of 30 min cardio sessions burn roughly 300 calories so the numbers don't seem too far off.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Seems a little high to me...
  • ashcroft37
    ashcroft37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seems far to high to me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    That's high. Some HRM's are affected by wireless electronics and can cause higher sustained heart rates then what is really being done.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit high. From what I have seen someone who is really in shape burns ~ 5-6 cals/minute when in cardio mode and someone less in shape can burn ~10 cals/min. Now that's not everyone I know! But seems to be the norm that I have seen anyway.
  • Elysian13
    Options
    That is what I figured, the calories didn't seem right. I say I burned more close to 628.83 instead? does that make any sense? I did some calculations...haha I think the HRM will work better when I do my running outside. :P

Thanks guys
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Guys please remember that her avg HR was at 161 and she had jumps up over 190 (not sure why she went that high), but this will cause skin and body temperatures to skyrocket thus causing an increase calorie burn.

1100 for almost 100 minutes of cardio at THAT pace during HIIT is NOT far off in numbers.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I burned about that with 1 hr of fast walking, and 15 min of climbing stairs. so the calories burned look right, when compaired to your average heart rate. just one question. did you HRM come with a chest strap, and did you use it. or did you just use the touch sensor throughout your workout? (the chest strap makes a big difference in accuracy)
  • Elysian13
    Options
    I used my chest strap. :)
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    Make sure your strap sensors are good and wet and that the strap is placed on your chest as best as you can. Dry sensors can give some pretty wacked out readings. The strap too low can also give bad readings.
  • Elysian13
    Options
    It was on pretty snug and I wet it with tap water before putting it on (like it said). I also sweat a lot...during the highest intense parts of my workout.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Considering how high your heart rate went, it doesn't seem off to me. My heart rate rarely goes above 170 when I workout and if I worked out for an hour (depending on the activity of course) I could burn about 700 calories....so yeah, doesn't seem off to me at all.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,005 Member
    Options
    The less fit you are the more calories you burn. As you become more fit, building more muscle and stronger heart, over time, the calories burned will be reduced depending on the TYPE of cardio you do. High Intensity Interval Training burns a higher amount of calories. I think your HRM is correct.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Guys please remember that her avg HR was at 161 and she had jumps up over 190 (not sure why she went that high), but this will cause skin and body temperatures to skyrocket thus causing an increase calorie burn.

1100 for almost 100 minutes of cardio at THAT pace during HIIT is NOT far off in numbers.

We're talking about 60 minutes here, not 100...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Keep using the HRM repeatedly and see what results you get. Your results seem kinda high this time but not unbelievable. The spikes of heart rate into the upper 190's was probably the part that wasn't accurate and therefore your calorie count would spike too. If your heart rate averaged in the 160's for an hour I can see burning near 1,000 calories. If I run 6 miles in an hour and my heart rate stay around 170 then I burn a lot of calories...close to a 1,000.
  • Elysian13
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! I am going to drop it down to 700 cals to just be on the safe side. Rather be too low than too high. :P
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options

We're talking about 60 minutes here, not 100...

Yeah... 18.5 cals/minute is just a little too high.

And less fit people don't necessarily burn more calories. Less fit = less work capacity = less caloric burn.
  • Elysian13
    Options
    I didn't slack, when I start to get tired, I push. I played soccer for 10 years. I stopped in high school...I also have asthma.