DESPERATE NEED OF ADVICE PLEASE...

Options
.The question I have is I want to get to my goal weight which is 200-190 but I’m having trouble losing the last 30 I went on vacation for my anniversary I ate any and everything I wanted and didn’t work out when I got home the next morning I weighed myself it said 229 & I was 227 when I left to go on vacation. And I started working out the same day I weighed myself. Now the sacle is saying 232.4 I have been exercising and weight training but I don’t see a difference on the scale it also said 232.4 yesterday also, and I’m very discouraged at this point so my question is should I stop strength training if I want to see a difference on the scale too get to my goal weight and just do cardio alone are should I continue to do both and I would reach my goal weight by doing both cardio and strength training ....thanks in advance !!
I haven’t started logging in my diary because of disappointment in my weight !

Replies

• Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a hard question to answer if you're not logging in your daily calories. You won't lose without a calorie deficit- a 5 pound gain seems to indicate excess calories. Your disappointment in your weight gain is even more reason to be more vigilant about logging calories.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start logging again. Also, if you are strength training, measurements will be more accurate than the scale - since adding strength training, my scale has stopped moving, but I have gone down sizes in all my clothes.
  • fuchsias
    fuchsias Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The first step is the hardest, once you start logging your feelings of dread and disappointment will go away and logging will not be such an issue. Logging your food is very important in order to lose or maintain weight. it also takes the blinders off and lets you see where you need to make changes in what you eat.
    You are your harshest critic!
  • Millender2012
    Millender2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    .thank you guys so much...I’ll start logging again !! ❤️
  • Millender2012
    Millender2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    .also when i start back logging what I eat, should I not worry about the scale to get to my goal weight ? And continue to do both cardio and strength training and I’ll reach my goal by doing those two !! ?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You say your last 30 which means you've had practice at losing weight. Did you used to weigh yourself multiple times a day? If you have you must have figured out that the scale is fickle. Five pounds either way doesn't mean much. It could be fluctuating water weight.

Changing an exercise routine can temporarily increase your weight (nothing to do with fat loss).

Eating salty foods or carbs can temporarily increase your weight (nothing to do with fat loss).

Cutting carbs can temporarily lower your weight (nothing to do with fat loss).

I suspect the weight training if you are consistent over the months will give you a sense of progress. But count your wins in number of reps, not the scale.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Advice: Think logically.

A vacation is a tiny fraction of a year. Weight gain from vacation eating is a tiny problem, easily solved by engaging in the regular activities of living life in pursuit of improved fitness.

Are you seeking to improve your fitness? Or, are you neglecting to improve your fitness?

Those two are big, nebulous questions, because any of us can do activities that both advance and retard our own fitness in the course of a day, a week, a month, or a year. You have to determine if the sum of your activities in a recent period of time is moving you toward or away from your fitness goals.

An excellent tool to use in making this determination is the myfitnesspal food and exercise diary. Use this tool diligently and honestly, and you can answer the question for yourself of whether or not you are doing something to improve your fitness.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    .also when i start back logging what I eat, should I not worry about the scale to get to my goal weight ? And continue to do both cardio and strength training and I’ll reach my goal by doing those two !! ?

You need to be in a deficit. Doing both those things are great (and bear in mind can cause temporary initial water weight loss) but if you're still overeating they're not going to do anything to help you lose weight. Keep doing the exercise, but log and measure and weigh your food so you know if you're at a deficit or not.