unsupportive household

Options
2»

Replies

• DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do , but I got to point I don't care, I don't need him or his support I need my sanity. I plan live a lot longer and healthier them him and I kids think about. It's his Lost not mine , Lost 23 pds so far, do it for your self girly Denis
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get my life together. I am so uncomfortable in my own body and have never felt this bad about myself or my life. I weight 300 lbs. and am disgusting. I try to get my husband to make changes with me, but he just doesn't seem to care. Is there others out there that are struggling from lack of support at home? How are you handling it?

Not wanting to make a change =/= not being supportive. You can't just expect people to change things just because you have made that decision.

I made changes to my the way I was living my life due to some really bad blood work and whatnot...my wife didn't make those changes with me. She didn't really start getting back into fitness and whatnot until I was pretty much in maintenance...about 8-9 months after I started.

Her not wanting to go to the gym never stopped me from going to the gym. Eventually she did come around...she is a former collegiate athlete and she saw how well I was doing with my fitness and I think she got a little jealous..
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem I have, so I'm not really qualified to comment, however.. there is a big difference between not being interested in joining in and being deliberately awkward and sabotaging your efforts. You just do your thing, for you, and if he jumps on board later then great!
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone Crystalmarie, I'm surrounded by people who are either happily unhealthy or doing the whole talking about doing something then laughing about being too lazy thing. But as many above have suggested, we just have to press on and get what we want out of life. I'm really glad to have found this community because they seem really positive.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    When I started my first fitness journey, I was talking about it at home for a couple weeks, what methods sounded realistic and proven (MFP/NHS weight loss plan) and which sounded less scientifically sound, whether I actually WOULD lose any weight (I honestly didn't think I would. Ha!) and what it might entail. All of this meant that by the time I started logging everything, my partner knew this was going to be happening. We split the meal prep between us, and I showed him the changes I was making (cooking with less oil or water, what an actual portion of rice looks like, etc). He was under no obligation to follow along, but knew that if he didn't, we wouldn't eat the same thing. For him, there was vastly more value in sharing meals and experiences than in not changing.

As so many have said, you can only choose for you. And as you go through this process toward a healthier, fitter you, you will adapt and learn. You can't help it - it's the outcome of experience. Be open to allowing your husband to adapt and learn as well. @warrenlightyear 's story is an excellent example of an OH learning from experience.

You're not doing this alone. There are, what, two dozen of us on this forum alone who have your back. Being the only person in your home doing this just means you are a trailblazer there. And please, please make sure that if your husband is doing things that make your work harder - offering bites, insisting on going out for pizza, hiding your keys when you're trying to get to the gym, whatever it may be - talk to him about it. Give him the chance to not actively obstruct. But don't expect him to know what affects it has on you unless you talk to him about it. And even if he doesn't change, don't let that derail you. You can do this.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I was also 300lbs at one time, 308 actually. My husband is a little chubby but no where near where I am, he's about 180 or so. We have completely different meals sometimes, or if I'm making tri tip we share that and have different sides. He might make ramen and put steak in the ramen, and I'll have mine with broccoli.

I have a ways to go but I'm making progress, 30lbs down. If you want to make the changes for yourself, go for it! I get a lot of ideas from Pinterest and Instagram. My Instagram feed is nothing but keto/low carb meals, progress pics etc.
  • TalaNrys
    TalaNrys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said, there is a huge difference between him actively participating and just being supportive.
    My husband is overweight too, not by a lot, maybe 40 or so pounds, and so we've talked a lot about losing weight, and I've been a chronic starter in weight loss since we've been together. He hasn't actively participated with me, but he doesn't complain if I make a healthy meal for dinner, though for example, if I make spaghetti, I'll eat mine with spaghetti squash, and make him pasta if he wants. I do the majority of the cooking in our family and we live with my mom still so that's a challenge in and of itself. He hasn't complained about my slight changes in cooking, like using ground turkey instead of ground beef in some things, or eating less red meat.
    My mom is always another story, she was born in the 50's so it's all cream based, carb heavy foods. She's also got a very unrealistic view of how weight loss is supposed to work and nags at me if I have something that's not 'diet food'.
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get my life together. I am so uncomfortable in my own body and have never felt this bad about myself or my life. I weight 300 lbs. and am disgusting. I try to get my husband to make changes with me, but he just doesn't seem to care. Is there others out there that are struggling from lack of support at home? How are you handling it?

First off, your not not disgusting, you feel disgusting. There is a huge difference. Second make changes for you that you can. Don't expect others to change, but set an expectation of what behaviors you will and won't tolerate from others if possible. Do grocery shopping if possible and have a good sense of foods that are healthy. You can't change anyone but yourself, but you can make it more appealing by buying healthy foods all household members want. Healthy can be quite tasty. If you can set up a schedule of staples you eat regularly, for example I have 2 Eggs and 1 fruit for breakfast daily 90% of time... this can be stuck to and part of routine regardless of others meals. Exercise with a walk or basic but do something you can do regularly too. For me it takes about a month before the rest of the family will buy in. It's hard but if I get there we have a chance together. Don't know if I helped, but happy to talk further if you need.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm the only one 'dieting' in my house so its only my attitude which decides if I will lose weight/get fit -I exercise alone (walking initially but gonna try a running program - eek) and food planning involves cooking what I want with additional for them! I found it much easier to ignore their choices as time went on (7weeks in now).
    You have to be a bit selfish, focus on you and you never know, he may follow!

P.S I spend a lot of time prowling these pages so you are never truly alone :)
  • Jpoirier17
    Jpoirier17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do it for you and you will lead by example. I work with a lot of fat people and they were always trying to feed me sweets or inviting me to dinner and event with lot of drinking involved... I learned to say no and think about me. Now 45 pounds lighter my coworkers are now following my example and most of them started to hit the gym and ask me about what food should they eat etc. All the activities from the past are changing slowly to more healthy events like sports or hiking.