Need help - how to log homemade smoothies correctly

Options
Hello -
Could someone kindly give me advice as to how to log homemade smoothies?
Are they logged as the individual ingredients separately, or, is the calorie amount more than the sum of its parts?

I am trying to get off regular deserts and have been feeling stressed as of late, so smoothie are a way for me to wean off sweets.

Thanks

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just log everything you put in them.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The only time its ever going to be more calories thn you think is when its a store bought one or your lieing to self...Calories dont just magically appear when you blend something...But if you or whoever serves you adds in sugars and flavorings ...that adds up quick and aslong as you remember to track everything then no surprise calories.
  • fuchsias
    fuchsias Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought. I read somewhere that smoothies are more caloric than just eating each part. I thought it was weird and was wondering if I was missing something.
    I think I read that on weight watchers a few years back when I gave it a try.
    Thanks for the input!!
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Putting it in the blender doesn't make extra calories. ;)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    fuchsias wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I read somewhere that smoothies are more caloric than just eating each part. I thought it was weird and was wondering if I was missing something.
    I think I read that on weight watchers a few years back when I gave it a try.
    Thanks for the input!!

I believe what you may have read is that its much easier to drink calories thn eat them, And that eating the full fruit would be more satiating thn the blended version making it easier to eat more. Or some form of that. But no, Same amount blended as whole = same calories
  • fuchsias
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use the recipe tool to keep track of the calories in my smoothie. I edit the recipe every time I make the smoothie to account for changes in the size of the banana I use, the kind of frozen berry I use, and the amount of the various other ingredients I use in the recipe.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use the meal function instead of the recipe function for my smoothies. Just select the meal, and then I can update the individual items if needed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder tool.

I find the "meal" function more useful for things like smoothies, where the "recipe" varies each time I make it (due to what fruit is available, and the size of a banana or peach, for example) and where I'm consuming the entire "recipe" each time I make it (if you make smoothies in bulk amounts and drink them over a couple of days, or you always make them exactly the same, I could see using the recipe builder).

I have a "smoothie" meal that contains all the different ingredients I ever put in a smoothie. I log it, change any quantities that need changing, delete anything I didn't use (deleting is much faster than looking up and verifying database entries each time you make a smoothie), and I'm done. I do the same thing with oatmeal and the various toppings/stir-ins that I use.
  • fuchsias
    Options
    Thank you!! I will check it out
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Make a recipe on this site. Then add the recipe as one thing. You can edit it when you decide to change up the ingredients.