Exercise when you can only do limited activities ???

Options
I have fibromyalgia, which gives me severe pain, fatigue and muscle weakness. I am really struggling with exercising at moment, other than what I get from climbing stairs in house; doing my daily stretching routine and very limited walking ability. I also attend a dru yoga class once a week - which again in gentle stretching; and most of which is done sitting in a chair (because I cant stand for more than 5-10 mins at a time).

As I try to lose weight, Id really like to focus on trying to tone up my muscles a bit more, especially my stomach.

My plan is to try and start going to pool - to do some stretching exercises in the water, and maybe increase to adding in some gentle swimming.

Any other suggestions for gentle exercise that will tone up my stomach muscles (cannot do sit-ups or anything like that). xxx

Replies

• hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! It's really hard to exercise when you're in pain. I've found aqua jogging has really helped, especially with tummy muscles. You can be really gentle on stiff sore days, I think the warm water helps a bit too. My physio has recommended trying to work up to half an hour a day. I'm not there yet but i'm working on it. I find it really annoying that just walking causes pain! Hang in there, hope it helps to know that you're not the only one.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really like pilates, and mat pilates classes are very adaptable to injury and/or your personal level of fitness and strength. It's also a nice balance of challenging moves interspersed with restful stretches and breathing. If you like yoga, it might be worth a try.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, which gives me severe pain, fatigue and muscle weakness. I am really struggling with exercising at moment, other than what I get from climbing stairs in house; doing my daily stretching routine and very limited walking ability. I also attend a dru yoga class once a week - which again in gentle stretching; and most of which is done sitting in a chair (because I cant stand for more than 5-10 mins at a time).

As I try to lose weight, Id really like to focus on trying to tone up my muscles a bit more, especially my stomach.

My plan is to try and start going to pool - to do some stretching exercises in the water, and maybe increase to adding in some gentle swimming.

Any other suggestions for gentle exercise that will tone up my stomach muscles (cannot do sit-ups or anything like that). xxx
    I've worked with some clients with fibromyalgia and it's tough to see them wince in pain even if it seems the exercise might be easy. Just work within your limits.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Bump.

My mom has fibromyalgia and I know that she's in pain, but she has so many other health issues due to her obesity and she needs to lose weight. She doesn't see working out as an option, so I'm interested to see what helps. I'm an all-out, no pain/no gain, no excuses, work out with broken bones type of girl, so when she complains I'm really insensitive about it.
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    hermione_ar ... I'm starting hydrotherapy sessions next week, so will be interesting to see how I cope in the water with exercise; just hoping it doesnt cause me to flare and able to do even less. But yes, it does help to know i'm not alone in struglling with this

etarre - I tried pilates previously, and it just sent me into flare-mode . Dru Yoga seems to be the only thing that I can do that doesnt leave me in bed for the next 2-3 days.

Managed to get some walking in today; not much just between the car and a couple of shops - but better than nothing.

xxxx
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    ninerbuff - I always do work within my limits - I just feel that to get the weight moving I need to be doing a bit more, but its finding something that I can do without going outwith my limits.

Tenlaws - unfortunately with fibromyalgia; the no pain/no gain type of workout only serves to make you worse and causes you more problems. Most of my exercises consist of general stretching and flexibility exercises combined with walking short distances, 2 or 3 times a day.

xxx
  • Sidonas
    Sidonas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, also started after my child was born.

I have found Yin Yoga (Ying Yoga with Mimi Soltaire) is extremely gentle and a good routine. Yin yoga is about holding the stretch over an extended period of time, rather than moving through poses quickly. The majority of Yin Yoga is done laying down or sitting up.

I have also found walking is the best remedy, even though some days I feel like I will collapse just walking into work. Try to do it, though, even if all you can manage is walking to the end of the driveway and back. Over time, you will find yourself walking farther, though I have noticed I have to walk slower than I want to sometimes. The speed makes a big difference for me, so I take the "slow and steady" approach rather than the "get it over with" approach.

I picked up an exercise pedaler from Amazon for $30. It is a stationary bike, only more compact so it does not take up a lot of room. I sit in a chair or on an exercise ball and use it. http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Exerciser-Attractive-Silver/dp/B002VWK09Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312333582&sr=8-2

What works best for me? Do 15 minutes of something every day. I mix up the exercises and do what I feel I can handle, but it has to be at least 15 minutes every day no matter how I am feeling. One of the big hurdles I have found with fibromyalgia is getting past the mental roadblock of "exercise will make it worse". Strange enough, exercise makes it better and better.

Also, if you can, pick up The Fibromyalgia Handbook: 7 steps to halt and even reverse fibromyalgia. There are some good suggestions in that book and it explains things really well. "Moist heat" has been my best friend since reading that book. A warm bath, rice heating pad, or other form of humid heat on sore areas has really helped me with exercise.