Should I bulk or cut?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    CheyGal18 wrote: »
    Money is tight so professional help with this will have to wait a lil while sadly

You don't need to hire anyone, just use of the programs in that link. They are written by professionals who know how to maximize muscle growth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Money is tight so professional help with this will have to wait a lil while sadly

You don't need to hire anyone, just use of the programs in that link. They are written by professional who know how to maximize muscle growth.

Yup...lots of good programs out there.

OP, these programs are often free or cost very little...price of a book. They are written by professionals. Following an established program is going to garner more efficient results than making your own program.

Not to mention, writing your own programming takes a lot of knowledge...I've been lifting for years and I do put together my own programs now, but I still run them by my former trainer...he often catches something that I'm missing or will switch this out for that or ask why I'm doing X or Y, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, can you tone up on maintenance calories?

Of course. Even an old dinosaur like me with decades of training can do it - you have the massive advantages of being young and relatively new to lifting.

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    In my experience...you should be lifting HEAVY when you start your bulk. I did my first bulk when I was lifting heavy...I had to bulk very slowly to mitigate my fat gainz. During my 3rd bulk, my lifts had hit a point where the intensity of training helped mitigate the fat gainz.
  • CheyGal18
    CheyGal18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m about 26percent body fat, I’m thinking of staying at maintenance calories and lifting heavy or going on a mini cut. Maintence for me is 2,000 so if I cut I would eat about 1,800 a day
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.

What aren't you happy with?
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    Thank you !
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I’m about 26percent body fat, I’m thinking of staying at maintenance calories and lifting heavy or going on a mini cut. Maintence for me is 2,000 so if I cut I would eat about 1,800 a day

You already know what to do. Good luck.
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    Thanks guys your help means a lot!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lifting builds muscle. Bulking is gaining fat. Cutting is losing fat. I never want to bulk.

Bulking is gaining muscle and fat (minimal if done correctly). Cutting is losing fat while preserving as much muscle as possible.

That's ok.. you don't have to bulk depending on your goals. But it is pretty dang awesome ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    lifting builds muscle. Bulking is gaining fat. Cutting is losing fat. I never want to bulk.

That's contradictory. For one, to build muscles, you need to be in one way or another in a caloric surplus. There is no way around it unless you take steroids/ You're a new lifter/ You're obese or have exceptional genes. The best scenario for someone not to gain excessive amount of fat is to be in a small caloric surplus...especially for women since they don't grow potentially more muscles than men.

Other than those 4 scenario's that I mentionned, you cannot build muscles when losing weight.

Sorry but the bold isn't true. Remember people recomp too.

BTW, fun fact - people recomping are actually in a tiny energy deficit.
    Eric Helms explains it better than I can - https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Chey Gal - first congratulations on loosing the 80 lbs -It's not easy to do & you look great. as a FFG (former fat girl) you should not use the term "bulk" - bulking implies eating big & gaining weight which will be fat along with the muscle , that is risky for you ( and me) - instead think more like a re comp - keeping your cals at maintenance + a little, maybe 2-300 a day and pick a program like Starting Strength/ Grey Skull / or Strong Lifts and follow it for a few months. You don't know enough now to write your own program - pick a proven one and stick with it. You can adjust your cal intake up or down as needed - it you are putting on fat or getting too lean. lift 3X a week- get enough protein & eat your veggies - they will help keep you healthy. Do that for a few months and you will be amazed - Eastcoast Jim
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    Thanks everyone love hearing all of your insights on this and it’s extremely helpful
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    I’m about 26 percent body fat
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I’m about 26 percent body fat

Cut some bf% beforr bulking imo
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @CheyGal18 - generally, bulking for a female starts around 20% body fat. However, how do you feel that you look? From that one picture, I would not guess 26% but I am not really any good with that (yet). So, if you were to decide to bulk then you might want to consider getting to around 20% body fat first.....depending on how you feel about how you are right now.

As others have stated, in very simplified terms, a bulk is where you are trying to gain muscle. You will also be in a caloric surplus , which will generally create some additional body fat (thus, the suggestion to be around 20%....). You train heavy and follow a progressive overload (generally).

Then there is the recomp, which is eating at maintenance and lifting heavy and in a progressive overload. This is the best of both worlds but is SUPER slow.

Finally, there is a cut. This is where you are trying to loose body fat. You are in a caloric deficit and you - if you do not do this properly - will potentially loose some muscle. One thing that typically is suggested in a cut is to increase your protein intake a little bit. You train heavy and follow a progressive overload here, too.

See the pattern? Train heavy and follow a progressive overload!

Does this help?