Let's talk sushi... rolls.

Options
Going out to sushi for lunch and need some advice.

I only eat cooked sushi first of all. I'm from the northwest and now live in Oklahoma... I'm not going to eat raw fish this far from the ocean, just my preference. I usually stick to the rolls. I love me some spicy cowboy rolls and tempura shrimp rolls - BUT those are not some of the healthier choices.

Besides California Rolls... what other healthier *cooked* rolls are out there? I know to stay away from spicy mayo, crunchy, and tempura.

Some of the sushi-gurus out there are going to tell me to just exercise this evening and splurge a little on lunch. Currently my weight is not moving because "splurging a little" has become a daily problem for me. So... besides those cali rolls any suggestions??

TIA!!

Replies

• Rockindreamer
    Options
    Honestly, the fish is usually flown in to the stores the sushi places buy it from. You should be fine. And the proteins and omega 3s you get from them are wonderful. Myself Im a fan of spicy tuna, rainbow roll, and raw salmon. Im not sure on the cooked, unfortunately the stuff when cooked isnt nearly as healthy, they use alot of high sodium to cook with.
  • itsgrantsnitch
    Options
    avocado roll - more nutritious
    cucumber roll - less calories

the two best in my opinion
  • sflohr
    sflohr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Low calorie choices: seaweed salad, miso soup, agadashi tofu, and cucumber roll. All very good.
  • brarew
    brarew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon. It's called a philadelphia roll at most places. I'm addicted.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I will typically order what I want at a sushi place and just eat less of it. I'll eat like about 4 pieces (about half) of a sushi roll, but then order edamame and a salad to fill me up. If I order plainer sushi I end up not being satisfied and being sad that I didn't order what I wanted. Plus the edamame is REALLY good for you. I work in biomedical research and have heard about some really cool studies coming out about edamame.
  • kwinterscheidt
    kwinterscheidt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    something with shrimp and avocado would be very healthy and not too high in calories.
    i get a roll at a local place that has shrimp, spinach, avocado, and cucumber, but i leave the spicy sauce off because it adds a lot of calories.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    A sushi guru wouldn't tell you to splurge a little or exercise this evening, they would tell you about sushi.....
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I LIKE IT RAW
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Please peruse through my signature. There is a link to all you need to know. Then look under that one and it says, "SUSHI!"
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I personally live in Colorado and eat raw sushi all the time. But if your preference is not to, there are options. Unagi is cooked eel and is amazing. You can order rolls with smoked salmon, steamed shrimp, tofu, or crab meat. I also enjoy green mussels, which are cooked. The above posts that mention the salads, miso soup, and edamame are spot on - miso soup and edamame especially have many health benefits and are delicious!

Sushi places are starting to tap into the "health conscious" thing America has going on (which is weird, because sushi is extremely healthy if you eat it the way you're supposed to - minus all the fancy sauces, etc) so you might be able to request low sodium soy sauce, brown rice, sashimi (which is just the fish, no rice), or fatty sauces on the side. Don't be afraid to ask!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Look for rolls containing smoked or BBQ eel :) That's a typical staple of sushi places and definitely cooked (and delicious!)
  • dailyorange
    Options
    Hm, that's a tough one! I love sushi and eating raw would be the healthiest! However I have seen cooked salmon/avocado rolls, seared tuna rolls (slightly cooked, but still raw), I think the Boston roll or something similar is cooked shrimp with lettuce. Hm, pretty limited when it comes to cooked. I would stay away from eel rolls, the teriyaki sauce is loaded with sugar/calories. If you still want spicy sauce or the teriyaki sauce, ask for it on the side so you can use the amount you want to use. Enjoy!
  • kashia09
    kashia09 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Snow Crab Roll, which is about 220 cals per 6 pieces/ 1roll. I would advise just googling the crap out of different sushi rolls you know that restaurant has and find their nutrition facts...That's normally what I do before I go out to eat anywhere now. Sorry, couldn't be more help...a plus about sushi though is that you can pretty much tell them what you want and don't want in there, so that may help a little...Enjoy your sushies! :)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    GREAT INFO! Thank you everyone!

@anubis609 I'm headed off to check out that site!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I only eat vegetarian rolls myself as well.

I love, love, love avocado so I suggest enjoying a whole tone of cucumber (kappa) rolls for 110 cals for 6 maki pieces or avocado rolls for about 150 cals.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Please peruse through my signature. There is a link to all you need to know. Then look under that one and it says, "SUSHI!"

Thanks for the great site info! Much appreciated! I'm learning to LOVE sushi and just recently tried raw:) Yum Rainbow Roll!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I LIKE IT RAW

Excellent. Raw is usually the way to go. The natural flavor stands out more.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love eel and avocado rolls. If you only want cooked stuff your choices will be more limited. Someone mentioned Philadelphia rolls, I think those usually have cream cheese in them. I'm not sure since I don't like cream cheese in my rolls. You could look for things with shrimp or crab that don't have tempura in the description since those are always cooked.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I LIKE IT RAW

Excellent. Raw is usually the way to go. The natural flavor stands out more.

I love raw salmon/rolls but I thought the calories were alot more. I guess I got confused :(
    But yayy for me to see this - Thanks so much!!!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    SO! I got the california roll (best cali roll I have EVER had) and the spicy tuna roll... which I have never had and fully expected to have to take a hit for the "spicy sauce" - but there was none. Apparentlythe tuna is spiced some other way. I'm off to educate myself on spicy tuna! Thanks again everyone.