Core strength

Options
What’s the best routine for building core strength? Not just abs. Back and obliques etc too

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX works your core on nearly every exercise. Just do a well rounded routine. Rotating planks and side planks.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    A routine with barbell exercises.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    deadlifts.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like front squats and any kind of 'carry' exercise. also, i find that once i get the hang of finding and using those muscles, life itself is a core exercise. it's more about recruitment and activation than 'strength', for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Your core's job is to assist the rest of your body, so it's best to follow a full-body strength program, preferably one designed by a professional. If you need help choosing one, tell us what equipment you have available.

What is your goal with the core exercises? Are you trying to trim your waist? Are you trying to reduce back pain? Something else?
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum of weight training. I've developed my core (not just abs) strength through yoga. My balance, posture and strength have all greatly improved. Not to mention definition.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,321 Member
    Options
    I use videos from Fitness Blender, it tells you what exercise works what part of your body
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Best...one of the few times I will use the term "best" but for a strong core gymnastics movements can't be beat. Anyone who thinks they have a strong core from doing just barbell stuff, do some real gymnastics and let me know how humbled you are.

Most people need to start at very very basic levels. It's tough to give suggestions, without knowing where you currently are.
  • Lee_an
    Lee_an Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Squats and dead's. Throw in bench and your'e pretty much hitting the entire body. Starting strength is a good program and includes these.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Your core's job is to assist the rest of your body, so it's best to follow a full-body strength program, preferably one designed by a professional. If you need help choosing one, tell us what equipment you have available.

What is your goal with the core exercises? Are you trying to trim your waist? Are you trying to reduce back pain? Something else?

My job involves a lot of lifting so I need a strong core. My goals are basically all that you’ve mentioned. I do most of my workouts outside and use what’s at hand
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Lots of good ideas. I’m not a beginner with training but definitely still a novice
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

My job involves a lot of lifting so I need a strong core. My goals are basically all that you’ve mentioned. I do most of my workouts outside and use what’s at hand

since your job involves lifting and you want a strong core for that, the best thing to develop your core for that is to do just that. I'll say deadlifts again, they are practical for every day life. When do you ever do a palloff press or plank or cartwheel in real life? never. But every day we lift , we bend down and pick things up , all day long every day. Learn to deadlift with perfect form and you'll get a strong core plus learn the skills and muscle control to activate your core for those real life day to day activities.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    The "Big 4" compound lifts - - the deadlift, squat, bench press and overhead press - - are all you need to do to strengthen your core.