Holy calories!

Options
Just had spaghetti for the first time since I started my weight loss journey and began logging/weighung everything.

What my old self thought was (and routinely consumed) one serving was actually about 5 or 6. Good grief. No wonder I started piling on the pounds. One serving is so puny it wasn't even worth the 200 calories.

I think I'm done with pasta since I need my entire daily calorie allowance worth to feel like I even ate any. Back to zoodles I go!

Replies

• msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I got to where my portion sizes were pretty big - crazy! After a couple of months, I'm used to smaller portion sizes, thank goodness! I've never tried zoodles. I'll have to give that a go.
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I got to where my portion sizes were pretty big - crazy! After a couple of months, I'm used to smaller portion sizes, thank goodness! I've never tried zoodles. I'll have to give that a go.

I def reccommend trying zoodles. They are pretty good as a substitute and you can eat a lot without feeling guilty!
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can also do sweet potato noodles and butternut squash noodles. As well as the good ole favourite of spaghetti squash. They all taste great as a pasta replacement. I had butternut squash myself tonight, and had spaghetti squash last night.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My favorite pasta substitute is spaghetti squash
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had pasta for the first time tonight in about 8 years, if not longer. Spaghetti with king prawns in a tomato and chilli based sauce. I just tend to not find it very filling but loved it as a kid. I much prefer potatoes.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pasta and I find it OK for the calories. Spaghetti meatballs with the sauce and lots of balls comes at 600-650cal. Pretty decent for dinner and very filling. For reference I eat at 1500cals (to maintain, at the moment I can't walk).
    I had leek and bacon pasta bake last several dinners for the same cals. Very filling.
  • JillSpike
    JillSpike Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Broccoli slaw works well too as a sub!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I eat my spaghetti sauce over greens. I prefer it that way now!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I eat my spaghetti sauce over greens. I prefer it that way now!

That sounds terrible lol

I like greens with marinara too! And a bit of Italian sausage mixed in.

Has anyone ever mixed zoodles with linguini? I'm thinking you could do 1/3 linguini and 2/3 zoodles and get a filling pasta fix.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting the starches out of my calorie count too
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower works well to fill out a smaller portion of pasta with tomato sauce, especially when the pasta is bite size shapes like ziti.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like carba-nada egg noodles. Higher protein and fiber, and I think they taste like the real thing. I’ve tried black bean and red lentil pasta, but the texture doesn’t work for me.

A couple cups of spinach and some tuna and I’ve got myself a pasta happy-meal!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Same I've always been a huge carb lover. Pasta, bread, yum. But when I actually look and weigh what I'm eating now I'm like oh my gosh I think before I dieted I atleast consumed 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day with no exercise! I would eat pounds of York patties (candy) a day. Which is INSANE. Plus downing soda like crazy!
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same I've always been a huge carb lover. Pasta, bread, yum. But when I actually look and weigh what I'm eating now I'm like oh my gosh I think before I dieted I atleast consumed 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day with no exercise! I would eat pounds of York patties (candy) a day. Which is INSANE. Plus downing soda like crazy!