Help with routines

Options
2»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    cheryl0214 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses and thoughts, I am going to take this 1 stage at a time.....first learn to cook and prep meals at home, then I will tackle another stage. I do agree not to make all these changes at once for fear of discouragement and failure. As was mentioned, any start is a good start.

That's a great start. Cooking doesn't have to be fancy weird ingredients or lots of time/cleaning. I like using frozen foods almost exclusively. Chicken nuggets on a baking sheet, fill the rest of the baking sheet with veggies, boom- dinner. I also love single-skillet meals. I'm a vegetarian, so I go for the fake meat, but my recipe is basically protein + large quantity of vegetables + sauce and/or noodles. I nearly never use more than 1 frying pan or 1 baking sheet to cook dinner.
  • phlegmfatale1
    phlegmfatale1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    first of all, i know it seems very difficult to fit meal planning into your already busy day when you feel like there is never enough time and you're already exhausted. but just know that it gets much easier with a little practice! maybe when you have a few hours off this week, plan to make a larger batch of 1 recipe and then bring that to work all week. it can be simple like others have said -- baked chicken, or something like cooked vegetables with a sauce you like, or a healthy snack like cut up apples and pb. keep changing things one by one. before long it will be like second nature to you. and you'll be motivated by the positive change you've made and maybe even have some more energy to show for it! good luck and i really hope you get your breaks, retail can be really tough on the body and you deserve time to yourself to re-fuel!
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That was me that just gave you an awesome.... cause that sounds awesome.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are already making some great changes! I reckon half the trouble is in the planning, which you are now doing. If it's closing in on dinnertime and I have no idea what I'll cook, it all seems so much harder. So every weekend I'm trying to take a little bit of time to plan 5 meals so that I can also plan my grocery shop around that. (The other two days are leftovers or frozen meals, or simple things that everyone in my family can get themselves like an omelette.)

I'll also add that I find stir fries are a great quick meal. I often use chicken or beef (already sliced if I can't be bothered chopping) or prawns and throw them into my big electric frypan with frozen vegies and then add a bottled sauce. I cook some rice in the microwave in the meantime. Or, even quicker, just soak some noodles. Ta da...dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes and barely needing to engage my brain to do it, lol!

Also, if I'm making something that will freeze well (like a bolognese or casserole) I'll often make a double quantity and freeze the leftovers. It's great to just pull something from the freezer on nights when you are exhausted.

I hate cooking when I'm tired or short on time, but I love cooking when I've got all the ingredients, am feeling fresh and have plenty of time!

All the best with the changes you are making. Even if you only improve one meal a week to start, remember it's a positive step. You don't have to do this perfectly.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If you really don't feel like cooking some nights after work just puck up a cooked chicken (or even roast beef if your supermarket does that) on the way home from work. Then all you need to do is cut up a salad or steam some vegetables and you have a quick and reasonably nutritious meal for you and your daughter.

Others have given great ideas and it seems you are already doing a fantastic job with making some healthy changes. Keep up the great work.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating restaurant food or convenience foods. You just need to make choices that fit your calorie deficit goal.
    Healthy meals contain nutrients. That means a casserole, spaghetti, eggs, oatmeal, canned soup, a sandwich, or yogurt can all be part of a healthy diet. Don't define healthy food so narrowly.
    When you do cook make double. Put the extra in the freezer. I generally have some soup in my freezer. You might look up once a month cooking or freezer meals for ideas.
    Eggs are quick cooking as is pasta.
    Get a slow cooker.
    A piece of fruit or a granola bar are easy portable foods.
    Prep in advance- not just food but stuff like your outfit or your child's bag. Get stuff ready in the evening so you don't have as much to do in the morning. Prepare for the week on your day off.
    Don't skip breaks you are entitled to and need. That isn't healthy.

Maybe look for a different job. This one sounds pretty brutal.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious. Go you!
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking so I sympathise with you so much! Just remember it's kilojoules (calories) that matter for weight loss. Healthy food is important but it doesn't have be fancy and a lot of things fit into a healthy diet. I've solved my dislike of cooking by eating - eggs (quick, easy and cheap), cooked chicken from the supermarket (with a salad or vegetables), tinned soup, easy meals that can be frozen and reheated - spaghetti, slow cooked stews etc. Good luck!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cheryl0214 wrote: »
    I have actually tried the frozen prep meals at one time, but I would either forget to lay them out to cook or they would cook too long in crockpot because I had to work longer than planned and they would not be enjoyable. I am looking at all these wonder suggestions and comments thinking to myself, I can do this. I did it when I was married even though I was tired when I got home, I can do it now....push myself, encouraging myself, reward myself because I am better than what I have become, I am worth taking care of myself. I truly want to say thanks for all the comments, I think I came to the right place to find the encouragement I need. Thank you all

There's an easy (and fairly cheap) solution to the cooking too long problem - if your crock pot doesn't have a built-in timer that will shut it off/switch to warm, you can buy a timer for it.

Manual one like this or this.

Or "smart" ones with wifi, like this.

I'm a tech geek, so I have the one with wifi - means I can turn on/off the timer from anywhere, but the manual ones do the job too! Set your crock pot to whatever heat is appropriate, and the timer will do the rest :)

~Lyssa
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow...nice job and it looks tasty.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That bowl looks great! That is very similar to what I do. Pre-cook ingredients for meals I like so dinner can literally be throwing something together. And yes, small steps. Every little change adds up and it is much easier to stick with things when don't slowly. Nice job!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Your bowl looks fantastic! You are doing so well! I'm so impressed with you!

I love this community - they have already given all the advice I would give plus more! :)

I'm a Trader Joe's fan myself, and love their frozen foods and also their selection of cleaned and prepared raw veggies, lentils, beets, salads, etc. A few days ago I picked up two packages of fresh baby broccoli and a package of kale. I steamed them then sautéed with garlic and a bit of olive oil. Those veggies were there when I was hungry for lunch or dinner and lasted three days. I've noticed my diet hums along smoothly if I have some leftover cooked meat in the fridge and cooked veggies ready to heat up.

I second the opinion that an exercise program can wait a bit until you have dropped some weight. Your job sounds strenuous enough for now on weekdays. On weekends, a long walk might feel good. Be kind to your knees and back, etc. and keep things gentle for now to avoid injury.