Thyroid problems/hypothyroidism

Options
I just went to the doctors yesterday to have my thyroid checked, I feel like I'm always having problems and this has been going on for a long time. I have a lot of symptoms like low energy levels regardless of high caffeine intake, enough sleep, eating enough, etc. sometimes slow weak workouts, always tired during the day, I feel like I'm always gaining weight in my thighs and can never lose any weight or that area anymore, hair thinning and falling out, brittle nails, very dry skin, puffy face, horrible water rention regardless of lots of cardio and water intake or cutting my sodium intake, muscle weakness in my legs or arms, depression, low self esteem, anxious, increase of appetite even on two types of diet pills to help with my appetite (not working now), always bloated, and sensitive to cold. I no this isn't going on in my head because I'm constantly complaining about these symptoms and I finally had a blood test yesterday but won't know my results for a few days. Has anyone have thyroid problems or any of these symptoms and know how to fix them and be able to lose weight succefully because I struggled to maintain and lose weight right after Christmas and it kept getting worse and I reached my breaking point. Im always frustrated and getting upset. It stresses me out bc now I can no longer fit in my favorite shorts or pants when I could back in December/January. I just hate feeling this way and just want to know if all this can be reversible.

Replies

• heidirn2003
    heidirn2003 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Blackoantherchick123-your story sounds almost identical to mine.
    I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid but it took 20 pounds of weight gain, mostly water, my hair falling out of my head and me falling asleep the second I sat down each day to convince someone to check me out. Along with so many other symptoms. In April I was 123 pounds (5 pounds heavier than my norm). I tried the keto diet prior to vacation and did well and dropped the 5 pounds. We went on vacation and I didn’t stick to the keto diet and I gained 20 pounds in the two weeks and it never came off. I was diagnosed in May after returning and realizing something was seriously wrong and things were spiraling fast.
    Fast forward to now and I’ve been on nature thyroid 5 grain daily. I take it divided through the day. I take a lot of supplements as well. I still do not feel great and I’m still 15 pounds over weight but I look like I’m Cicero’s in jiggly cellulite because the water retention is so severe. I too am depressed because I have turned into this mess and I gave absolutely no control over it!
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Blackoantherchick123-your story sounds almost identical to mine.
    I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid but it took 20 pounds of weight gain, mostly water, my hair falling out of my head and me falling asleep the second I sat down each day to convince someone to check me out. Along with so many other symptoms. In April I was 123 pounds (5 pounds heavier than my norm). I tried the keto diet prior to vacation and did well and dropped the 5 pounds. We went on vacation and I didn’t stick to the keto diet and I gained 20 pounds in the two weeks and it never came off. I was diagnosed in May after returning and realizing something was seriously wrong and things were spiraling fast.
    Fast forward to now and I’ve been on nature thyroid 5 grain daily. I take it divided through the day. I take a lot of supplements as well. I still do not feel great and I’m still 15 pounds over weight but I look like I’m Cicero’s in jiggly cellulite because the water retention is so severe. I too am depressed because I have turned into this mess and I gave absolutely no control over it!

I thought I was alone! My cellulite on my thighs are horrible. I'm terrified to weigh myself bc I feel like it will trigger something but I do so much cardio and tend to stick to a healthy diet but no matter what, the weight won't come off anymore. Not even "starving" works anymore. I feel and know I can gained 20-30 in like one day due to the horrible water retention. I use and wish I can b 114 again but I feel like it's impossible. Even with an increase in my appetite, I never really gained weight easily but now I have and nothing will come off. I hope I can get my results soon because I hate not knowing. I tend to do low carb myself (regardless of the intense workout I do but normally a net of 120-180 grams). I'm also a full time student so I'm always walking around campus so I'm getting in extra walking. Also recently, I'm not sure if it's due to the thyroid problem but my thighs r so big that the skin is started to split and clear water like fluid is coming out. It's gross and painful. It's like all my weight is in my thighs and nowhere else.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I also get these horrible eye lid twitches throughout the day, every now and then my eyes will look droopy.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me! Mt thyroid is annoying though in that it has gotten worse as ive lost weight. I have been having to get blood work and meds tweaked every 2-3 weeks. Once I get down to 200 (from 241) the plan is to take a month or two off deficit and into maintenance to see if it stabilizes.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well- took a while to figure it out and get on a med that worked. Had many of same symptoms-the fatigue was the worst and it also had a bad effect on my over all mood. But things seem stable now and I am losing about a pound a week. After trying a synthetic thyroid hormone (felt crappy on it), I now take Nature Thyroid with much better results. Also take a few basic supplements.
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're symptoms sound like mine. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune disease) and now being treated with Synthroid. Don't get discouraged, there is hope. I managed to lose 20lbs. I have to say, I was never overweight. It took a strict diet and working out routine. After only 10months after having my 2nd baby I was able to see my abs. That being said, you have to be disciplined with your eating habits and you need to workout. But most importantly find a very good Endocrinologist who can treat you properly. Once that happened you need to try to eat healthy. Stay positive! You can do it. P.S.: A good preworkout with Appetit suppressant can definitely help with energy and appetite.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer 2 years ago and had to have it removed. I take thyroid replacement hormone but will always be hypothyroid for prescribed medical reasons. You can lose weight despite it. Don't get discourage and don't fall into the trap of using as an excuse like I did for a while.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I also had thyroid cancer about 22 years ago. Had my thyroid removed and when through about 5 years (because of testing and follow up) where my TSH would be up over the 100s. Yes, the 100s. The most weight I ever gained from that was about 10lbs. For many years, I did feel awful and often blamed my thyroid even though at most points, I was well regulated with medication. It probably took me at least 10 years to figure out that *most* of my horrible issues were related to low iron. I was not anemic; however, my iron stores (measured by ferritin) was almost non-existent. Many doctors will tell you that this doesn't matter. My endocrinologist did think it mattered. He didn't like any woman's ferritin to go below 50. Mine was at 3.

But like you, I had gradually stopped doing any sort of exercise because I couldn't really handle it. I was tired all the time. My heart rate was high. Once I started taking some iron, I did feel a lot better. Of course, I never really got it fully under control until 3 years ago when my periods started dropping off due to menopause. I am fully in menopause now and I have to say, I have so much more energy than I did through my 30s and 40s.

No one ever really wants to hear this but "average" hypothyroidism is really only going to account for about a 5% upswing in weight. It's actually very minimal. Significant hypothyroidism would cause more problems but most people that have that also really stop eating much because their digestive system and energy requirements also slow down.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I also get these horrible eye lid twitches throughout the day, every now and then my eyes will look droopy.

I've had this for years, always thought it was linked to my migraines, never thought it could be linked to my thyroid disease
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you do have a low thyroid, once you get your medication adjusted correctly, you should be fine. You'll still have to work to lose weight, but it will be easier than now.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Same thing here but feel cured. I take a kelp supplement once a week, multivitamins and megafoods thyroid three days a week and am 40/40/20 ( protein, carbs, fats) eating low carbs have completely took away symptoms, but took about 3 months. Weight that would never come off easily losing 2 pounds per week. I cut out bread regular sugar too and added daily exercise.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I want to encourage you to be diligent when your bloodwork comes back. Sometimes if the TSH numbers come back in the normal range Dr's think they're done or there's nothing to do. If you're still feeling crappy then you need medication. I need my TSH super low for me to feel "normal" and it took a lot of years and insistence to get it there.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I also had thyroid cancer about 22 years ago. Had my thyroid removed and when through about 5 years (because of testing and follow up) where my TSH would be up over the 100s. Yes, the 100s. The most weight I ever gained from that was about 10lbs. For many years, I did feel awful and often blamed my thyroid even though at most points, I was well regulated with medication. It probably took me at least 10 years to figure out that *most* of my horrible issues were related to low iron. I was not anemic; however, my iron stores (measured by ferritin) was almost non-existent. Many doctors will tell you that this doesn't matter. My endocrinologist did think it mattered. He didn't like any woman's ferritin to go below 50. Mine was at 3.

But like you, I had gradually stopped doing any sort of exercise because I couldn't really handle it. I was tired all the time. My heart rate was high. Once I started taking some iron, I did feel a lot better. Of course, I never really got it fully under control until 3 years ago when my periods started dropping off due to menopause. I am fully in menopause now and I have to say, I have so much more energy than I did through my 30s and 40s.

No one ever really wants to hear this but "average" hypothyroidism is really only going to account for about a 5% upswing in weight. It's actually very minimal. Significant hypothyroidism would cause more problems but most people that have that also really stop eating much because their digestive system and energy requirements also slow down.

CMNVA- I could've written your post bc I had the same experience. I had to beg my doctor to do a ferritin test. When she called with the results she apologized. My level was around 15. I pass the screening to donate blood but would pass out bc I have no iron reserves to help me recover. And you're right-you really have to ask to have the test done.

If you find yourself exhausted, losing more hair than normal, having dry skin, or getting winded easily, please ask your doctor to check your ferritin level. Might be worth checking into.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Whenever I try to diet, I always get these intense cravings for carbs and sugar and sometimes end up giving in, if I don't give in, I'll most likely binge on them. I tend to low carb and tend to be a little strict with my diet because I just want the weight to come off but it's like no matter what I do, I gain, feel drained all the time when I use to have a lot of energy (I started noticing the symptoms since May but didn't realize it could b my thyroid until now). I always feel depressed and always frustrated. I feel like it's ruining my relationship with everyone but they always try to support and make me feel better but I feel like a nuisance. I hate what I see and how I feel everyday and all I want to do is cry, sleep all day, and wishing it could all just stop. I want my energy back, my confidence, my normal weight and body back, and just to be able to be in control because my hormones are horrible too. Always angry and depressed, tend to take my frustrations out on everyone when I know it's not normally me. I just don't feel like myself anymore.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I don't like to make excuses that I can't lose weight, I never gave up on diets but I always ending up giving in to cravings or end up overeating. This week has been one of those weeks. Constantly hungry and craving all those foods high in carbs and sugar. If I have hypothyroidism and that means my metabolism has slowed even with 2 hours of daily intense exercise, then how am I suppose to know how much I really need. I normally eat 1500-1700 a day and sometimes 1200-1400 but even if I do eat that amount, I still find myself with no energy at all. I think the worse things for me have been me being extremely frustrated. I end up saying things I don't mean, getting extremely angry and then will end up crying a lot. I thought it was PMS but this has been going on for months. Dieting to me is also no longer easy when it use to be. I even tried different diet pills to help with my appetite, even those stopped working. (I don't always take them, I started taking them to see if that can control my appetite but they not working when they use to back then when I started losing weight). Right now life is so unenjoyble and always stressful.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    What about a diet that lets you have the things you crave in moderation? Since restricting doesn't seem to be working for you, maybe another strategy would be more sustainable.

For the crying, saying things you don't mean, anger and frustration pieces, have you thought about seeing a counselor? It sounds like there are other things outside of the thyroid getting you down. Getting your TSH levels corrected might not help with the other stuff going on for you and it might be beneficial to have a multi-pronged approach to what's hurting you. :heart:
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism isn't as slow as you think it is, research is showing the amount your metabolism slows while hypothyroid is next to nothing. My guess is you are not accurately logging everything, would you mind if I took a peek at your food diary? If you crave carbs and sweets don't go on a low carb diet, overeating causes weight gain not carbs. Heck I had a healthy choice frozen burrito bowl meal with 3 dove chocolates for lunch. I eat a relatively high carb diet and lost weight and continue to maintain. Set up with MFP to lose .5 pounds a week and see how many calories that gives you. Slow and steady weight lose is the most sustainable. Looking at your profile picture it does not look as though you have a lot to lose. After MFP gives you your calorie goal, mess around with your macros. I have my carb goal set to 165 grams per day, 85 grams protein, and 40 grams of fat. I find a healthy dose of fat with each meal helps keep me fuller longer.