Question(s) about gym & waking routine effectiveness

I need to lose weight, 50lbs, I started going to Anytime Fitness about 3 times/week, I walk for an hour 2 times a week & one of those times is walking uphill. I have a question about my workout routine. I normally do this:
Elliptical (moderate to high) interval training for 30 minutes
Then I hit the machines, I do about 5 of the upper body machines (4 sets 10 reps each). Then I do about 4 of the lower body machines (4 sets of 10 reps each). Finish off with 50 ab crunches.
The day I do my "uphill" waking, I swing by the gym first & do the weight machine routine.
My question is, is this a good workout routine for weight loss & building some muscle?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Exercise can help you create a calorie deficit, but how much you're eating is going to be very important to.

Without knowing what you're doing exactly on the machines, it's hard to tell. Most people find better results when they're using some kind of structed resistance program (as opposed to just using machines).
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    I should've also said that along with the exercise, I am dieting
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    A large number of crunches are probably over-kill. If you switch out some of those machines for dumbbell, barbell options, then you'll be getting some decent work to your core (from stabilizing/balancing yourself) without really needing to add any core stuff specifically (although ab work is something that can easily be superset'd in during rest periods since you won't be taxing the other major muscles you plan to work in following sets). A lower BF% will make the most difference on the appearance of your abs. There is a saying: "Abs are made in the kitchen". (You can't spot reduce).

If your gym time is limited, the most basic programs generally call for something along the lines of 1 leg (alternating quad-dominant squats and the more hamstring/lower back-dominant deadlifts) (some machine versions would be the leg press, leg extension, leg curl machines) + 1 pull (alternating horizontal such as rowing or vertical as in pull-ups/chin-up/lat pulldown)(the cable machines are popular for this) + 1 push (alternating horizontal such as bench press or push-ups and vertical as in overhead/military press)(the chest/shoulder press machines) + 1 or 2 accessory items (like bicep curls or tricep presses)(the preacher curl machine or the tricep press or the dip machine)(this is one where I prefer the machine over the dumbbells) + optionally (more-so for the females) something targeting the glutes (something like hip thrusts or back extensions).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You won't build a lot of muscle while you're losing weight. A realistic goal for most people is to not lose muscle, which means resistance training while they lose. Good on you got doing that!

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help in two ways, first it burns calories, second your probably not eating while you exercise. :wink:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    The best workout routine is the one you will consistently do.

That said, if I were you, I would train harder for shorter periods of time. Do weights first. Use heavy free weights and lift 3 sets in the 8-10 rep range. Do compound exercises so you don't have to do 8 of them. The right weight will be one where you almost can't finish your set. Go up each week or two. After the weights, do 10-15 minutes of tough intervals, varying speed, incline or both.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Exercise can help you create a calorie deficit, but how much you're eating is going to be very important to.

Without knowing what you're doing exactly on the machines, it's hard to tell. Most people find better results when they're using some kind of structed resistance program (as opposed to just using machines).

Machines are a structured resistance program.
  • Azdak
    The best workout routine is the one you will consistently do.

That said, if I were you, I would train harder for shorter periods of time. Do weights first. Use heavy free weights and lift 3 sets in the 8-10 rep range. Do compound exercises so you don't have to do 8 of them. The right weight will be one where you almost can't finish your set. Go up each week or two. After the weights, do 10-15 minutes of tough intervals, varying speed, incline or both.

It may take longer, but the calorie burn from OPs stated program is likely to be substantially higher than doing a shorter, harder interval workout. It won’t sound as cool to describe, but it is likely to be effective.
  • Azdak
    I need to lose weight, 50lbs, I started going to Anytime Fitness about 3 times/week, I walk for an hour 2 times a week & one of those times is walking uphill. I have a question about my workout routine. I normally do this:
    Elliptical (moderate to high) interval training for 30 minutes
    Then I hit the machines, I do about 5 of the upper body machines (4 sets 10 reps each). Then I do about 4 of the lower body machines (4 sets of 10 reps each). Finish off with 50 ab crunches.
    The day I do my "uphill" waking, I swing by the gym first & do the weight machine routine.
    My question is, is this a good workout routine for weight loss & building some muscle?

If you enjoy it, your workout is fine and, if done consistently, will contribute to your weight loss efforts. Just make sure your weights are challenging you by the 10th rep.

The 50 ab crunches are OK for now, but you will quickly (and I mean in a couple of weeks) outgrow them, so I would look at some other alternatives. Google dead bug (exercise).

As you progress, you can move into some more challenging exercises, but if you are happy with your routine, it should work. As others have said, you do not gain much muscle in a deficit, but your routine is enough to increase strength and conserve lean mass.

PS: where do you find a hill in Lafayette?

• GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    Chicot State Park has some great "hills" & inclines. As soon as the weather gets cooler, sends the snakes, ticks, & redbugs into hibernation, I will start doing the trails there. The trails make for a great workout.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    As someone else has stated weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. To put things in perspective if you want to lose 50 lb that means you have to reduce over specific time. Approximately 175000 calories from your food consumption

If you drop your caloric intake buy a thousand calories a day that means it'll take you about a hundred seventy-five days to lose that weight.
    On the other hand if you want to walk that way. Off and going with the average of say about 150 calories lost per mile walked that means you have to specifically walk a thousand miles over that 175 day.

I lost 80 pounds over 8 months and have maintained that lost for over a year. Yes I did exercise but there was no way I could have burned off that many calories simply exercising.