Squat rack question.

deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
K so I am looking into buying a squat rack. I am still relatively new to this. I attempted the gym but I find I am rather shy and intimidated by the crowds. So I am thinking on buying a squat rack and weights. I already have a bench so yeah. Fit505 Power Rack http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-power-rack or the http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-half-rack-with-pull-up-bar I am wanting to know if anyone has one of these or your opinions on it?.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Go for a full rack (not a half rack). Shop around and check Craigslist for deals.I got a full rack from a personal trainer closing his gym for just $200. It wasn't pretty but it's functional.

Things to look for are the studiness of the uprights and cross bars and the adjustability of the pins and the safety bars. Built-in pullup bars, easily attached accessories and other features are nice to have as well.

Visit Rogue's website for an example of what would be the consider among the best you csn buy.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    agree on full rack.
  • deup
    K I been thinking a full cage. Never used a half rack so I not sure what to expect from it. Been looking for a used one but around here they are almost non existent. I never thought about accessories..
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited October 2017
    Agree on full rack. I also think having plenty of holes for safety bars are important.

I had to really ask myself would it be worth it to drop $1000+. Remember to add bar and plates along with shipping to cost estimate. Can you overcome your dislike for the gym? It is a much cheaper way to get stronger and not have an expensive rack that you end up hanging *kitten* from. It also would be safer most of the time.

I might do it now if had a good place to put one. That’s after 5 months of dedication to lifting. So much that I’m pissed if I miss a day. I’m still a newb and don’t know *kitten* about lifting really, and like the added people around when I go for new squat PR. Not for them to look at me, but if I *kitten* up they can help/call for help. So maybe I wouldn’t get one either.
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    I would spend money on a personal trainer. You will get the confidence to do the exercises and overcome the intimidation.

Also if you have poor form or are a noob at this, the trainer will pay off in other ways such as injury prevention.

I am not a personal trainer. Like you I nearly bought my own gear. I am glad I went down the PT option and am now comfortable in the gym.
  • deup
    Ain't so much form you tube is great for info on that. I am vary much self conscious. Arg. I hate having options lol.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited October 2017
    I was 300lbs when I started. I also only did the bar on bench. This is at an old school barbell gym not a fitness club. I honestly believe that strength training builds mental as well as physical strengths. It matters because I also was self conscious. Now I just want to lift my *kitten* off and hit a new PR.

On the whole YouTube is great for training I disagree. To many conflicting lessons, bro science, and people on gear pretending they are natural. My strength coach watches me lift and lets me know what to correct. This is what’s needed not one way communication or miscommunication as it is just as likely to be from YouTube.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I have one similar to your first link and I love it. I bought it on Amazon for around $350... Totally worth the cost. I also don't like to use gyms.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    deup wrote: »
    Ain't so much form you tube is great for info on that. I am vary much self conscious. Arg. I hate having options lol.
    Youtube teaches you form. PT's ensures that you're doing form correctly. You can't see you rear when you squat or your back when you do bent over rows. Can't tell you how many times I help people improve their form who were regulars for a year or two once we hooked up.
    As for being self conscious, that's a behavior you'll have to learn to get over, but know that NOBODY cares about how you look in the gym. They are more concerned with how THEY LOOK in the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• deup
    Sorry may have miss typed the youtube thing. I used it as a lightly used alternative. But defiantly doesn't replace a PT but when u don't have the funds to afford a PT around here that runs at 120 a hour.. what can u do lol. Anyways any pros cons to home gyms?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I bought a Titan T-3. I love lifting in my basement in my pajamas.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Sorry may have miss typed the youtube thing. I used it as a lightly used alternative. But defiantly doesn't replace a PT but when u don't have the funds to afford a PT around here that runs at 120 a hour.. what can u do lol. Anyways any pros cons to home gyms?

cons for home gyms are no spotter, and less equip avail. Pros are no wait time for equip, workout whenever you want , wear whatever you want, no commute to a gym. Another con is the space in your world that it takes up. I had a full gym and so much equipment it was taking over my entire house and garage and yard, so i got rid of it all and now pay for 35$ a month membership just so i can have my house back.

And 120 an hour for a trainer is waaaay too much, maybe you can find a strength training team or club to join for much cheaper and better training.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

I would say the huge *pro* to a home gym is you can work out whenever you want, never have to worry about anyone hogging the equipment, etc.

There are more cons than pros though, in my opinion at least. The cons include everything from major lack of equipment (unless you're looking to drop thousands of dollars your home gym is gonna be quite limited) which leads to lack of exercise variety and additionally, you won't have a spot. You won't have anyone to help guide you on form improvement...which yeah, Youtube is great, but Youtube isn't gonna tell you you're quarter spotting when you totally think you're hitting parallel, or help you get that new PR without curving your back or turning your knees. Honestly, I think it's crucial to be in the gym. I used to be JUST LIKE YOU. I was nervous as hell and had extreme anxiety even stepping foot in the weight section. It took me forever to be able to walk right up next to the macho ripped dudes and pick up measly 5-lb. dumb bells or attempt a squat with just the bar. But you get past that when you start gaining strength (and confidence) as you hit new PR's. Now...I walk up and squat more than half those macho dudes that used to intimidate me. Stick with it. Confidence comes with the territory and you realize that most gym-goers are too into themselves and their program to even pay attention to what you're doing. And if they are paying attention they'll most likely help you and inform you of better form, work outs, etc.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Either will be fine. The full cage will be a bit more versatile, if that matters, but both should work for the core big lifts.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    I would definitely go for a full rack. If you don't get one that meets your needs and is versatile, you won't keep using it. You don't want to get a half rack and then have to replace it once you get into things. I have a cage in my basement and love it. I don't live close to a gym, and find that working in the gym takes forever because you are sharing equipment, and also because of that I then feel rushed. At home I can take my time, there is no commute time, I can wear what I want, listen to whatever I want without the need for headphones, I love it. If I am bored - I can go lift. If I am in a bad mood - I can go lift. You get the idea. Plus, although I feel confident lifting, I feel self conscious in the gym sometimes if it is full of buff dudes. A lot of people get exercise equipment and never use it. If you are determined though, and will actually use it regularly, it is a great investment and totally worth it.