New to this.. What's your fitness story?

Options
NicoleMckenzie2017
NicoleMckenzie2017 Posts: 141 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all! I'm new to all this.. so forgive me if I don't sound super educated on fitness and weight loss.

I am getting married to my beautiful fiancé in five months and it's time to light a fire under my behind to lose my extra pounds. I weigh 185 at 5 foot 8 and I plan to lose thirty pounds by the time March rolls around. So far I have cut my calorie deficit by 1,000 calories.. making my daily intake sit right at around 1,000-1,200. Man has it been hard but I feel motivated so far!

I have days where I get a little distraught- I have been thin my entire life. I don't think up until I turned 23 (one year ago) that I weighed over 130 pounds my entire teenage and young 20's life. But the food caught up with me since I had an "I can eat whatever I want and not gain weight attitude".

But on a more positive note- I can't wait to start reaching my goals. Any advice or motivation is gladly appreciated! Good luck all- let's do this! :)

What's your weight loss story?!

Replies

• MadamMarie33
    MadamMarie33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request. I generally wouldn't recommend going below 1200 calories. You're gorgeous already but I understand wanting to lose weight for the special day. Too low of calories will make it tempting to binge though, you'll lose plenty on 1200 (:
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    Thanks so much @MadamMarie33 you're too kind! Weight loss is something I've been putting off for so long now- that I almost feel like I HAVE to go to drastic measures to lose the weight. I will definitely try to up my cal intake a little bit though. As much as it pains me lol
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Where are you coming up with those numbers? Did you let MFP determine your calories? I manually calculated your BMR and put you at lightly active and it gives you 2293 calories per day for your N.E.A.T burn. Even if you want to lose 2 lbs a week at 1000 calorie deficit, you are at 1293 calories. You have plenty of time to lose the weight by March even at a pound or pound and a half a week. You can do it, just do it the healthy way.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So far I have cut my calorie deficit by 1,000 calories.. making my daily intake sit right at around 1,000. Man has it been hard but I feel motivated so far!
    It's hard because it's not enough calories for a grown woman to eat in a day. Eat more or you won't just lose weight. You'll lose muscle, strength, stamina, hair......
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    @dwilliamca thanks for going through all that trouble- I appreciate it. I think I put myself as "sedentary" for the simple fact that I have a desk job. Although I do hit the gym about 3 times a week- I don't get much exercise at all working 11 hour shifts during the day. That may be where my allotted calories came up lower than they should be! Thanks for your input! ❤️
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    1000 Calories a day is too low.
    It's counter productive.
    Your metabolism will slow. Permanently.
    Take it from someone who has been there.
    1200 Calories daily is the bare minimum...For a reason.
    Your body needs fuel to live.
    While you want the weight weight loss.. Now.
    It takes time.
    Fuel your body with high quality protein, fibre rich and nutrient dense foods.
    Log everything, but you need to fuel your body.
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    @theabsentmindednurse thanks for the comment. I totally agree with you- I think the main reasoning for wanting to do low cal is because I have such little time to get in the shape I want to be in. I will definitely take that advice though. Thank you :)
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    Bump
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would recommend you not crash diet especially if you want to look good on your wedding day. Fast weight loss can cause muscle loss, weakness, hair loss and bad skin. Not things you want on your special day I can assure you.

As for me? My journey has been long, but the most success I have found for weight loss was eating at a small and sustainable deficit, keeping active (I lift weights) and having patience.
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for a long time and I hit a plateau because of it. I upped the calories to 1400 and began to lose again. I feel so much better now - I have more energy, I am happier and this weight loss journey is definitely more sustainable. You're taller than me AND more active, seeing as you go to the gym regularly. Aim for a 1500 calorie goal and see what happens in the next month. If you don't lose then increase your exercise, but take it from me - going too low will slow down your metabolism and just ruin your attitude towards this. You have enough time to lose the weight AND keep it off.
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    @sardelsa thanks for the post. That's awesome that you're steady on your journey. Maybe I will try more weight based exercise as I only really do cardio. I used to run long distance track in high school so that's what I'm used to. Haha- goodluck :) you got this
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    Huh that's interesting- I guess most people just associate less calorie intake with more weight loss. But it sounds like it really worked for you to up your intake a bit! I will definitely use everyone's advice and do some trial and error runs to see how my body responds: that's great that you got past your plateau. Those are frustrating I imagine. @FeelingAlive
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out is still the basic truthful equation but I think when you go too low you change the variables: I am not an expert but I think I lowered my metabolism and the rate at which my body functions and therefore had a decreased deficit over time. By upping the calories my body functioned better and therefore the calorie deficit was enough to start to lose weight again.

So keep an eye out for those hiccups. So far I've lost 1.5kg (3.3lbs) in less than a week - only because I upped my calories and slightly increased my exercise levels.
  • priceless807
    priceless807 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was 6-1 and 9st!

I started training four years ago and have added 7-8st with no bodyfat gain due to my genetics and high metabolism

I have now got my own gym and am a competitive bber!

I have started a thread in the intro section with pics!

• mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Same issues with food, spent most of my teens very fit and thin without trying too hard on the diet, I did play multiple sports though. Now I've had a weight problem since college, trying to get back on track again.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 calories is not sufficient. If you burn 1000
    And eat 1000 what’s the maths? Add me for support
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    @mwalle09 nice to see someone in a similar situation that I am. I feel like it's discouraging sometimes knowing I used to be SO fit and thin for so long and my body just caught up with me. But everything can be reversed which is positive. :) Muscle memory is a beautiful thing.. good luck today! Keep me updated
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    Bump ✨
  • NicoleMckenzie2017
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone- how's it going?!
  • Meggan_Adele
    Meggan_Adele Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Jumping on here! Congrats on your upcoming wedding, that is so exciting! I'm getting married next Sept and March is around the time I'll need to start trying on dresses so I'm hoping to lose around 30 pounds by then as well. Would love to connect and encourage each other!