Feeling Hungry!

I am eating 2320 calories but I feel hungry living on that number. Why does changing my weight loss goal & activity level changes calories?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited October 2017
    Try different meal timings, frequency and macro breakdown to alleviate hunger. Or get used to hungry... There is no reason to be satisfied all of the time, feeling hunger is perfectly OK.

Changing your activity will alter how many calories you burn, changing rate of loss changes how much of a deficit you need to be in.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    If you truly are very active, then you aren't eating enough. Why are you eating less than MFP suggests? Two pounds a week is an aggressive goal. Eating less than needed doesn't help if it leaves you hungry, as you are more likely to binge if you feel deprived.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited October 2017
    The application assumes that you have to eat 3500 calories less than you spend in order to lose 1lb in a week. The more you tell the app you want to lose in a week, the larger the deficit it will indicate... and the hungrier you will be.

While most people automatically pick a 2lb a week goal, such a goal is usually NOT appropriate unless they happen to be obese, or extremely active, or a combination of both that creates a TDEE of between 4000 and 5000 Cal a day. I note that MFP uses NEAT not TDEE for your base calories.

A more appropriate, in my opinion, method would be to calculate a deficit that does not exceed 20% of TDEE (up to 25% while having the fat reserves associated with being obese)

This, incidentally, answers your other question: the more active you are, the more calories the applications expects you will need to eat. Otherwise you will be creating a bigger deficit. Which is NOT always a good thing.

All these values, of course, are guesses based on population statistics.

Your own weight trend results over 3 to 5 weeks when compared to your expected weight change based on your consistent logging will allow you to better evaluate if they are good or bad guesses when it comes to YOU!

If you are indeed active you may be under-eating for your activity level and making things sub-optimal and harder than they have to be.

It is the BALANCE of calories that counts.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    I adjusted my weight goal to 2lbs a week because I have a lot of weight I want to lose.

How much is “a lot”?
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Big tip for me was to add plenty of bulk through things like mushrooms and lettuce which have virtually no calories

I have scrambled eggs for breakfast with about half a pound of mushrooms on the side just grilled, makes it much more filling

add a large green salad as aside to your lunch and dinner, I like romaine lettuce, a little green onion, fine sliced cucumber, squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of salt

50lbs is not 'a lot' btw, it's some sure but come on, thereare people here with 200+ to lose

that's a lot
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Are you really 'very active'? What do you do for work/school? Not counting deliberate exercise, just your normal daily activities without the gym or sports.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The application assumes that you have to eat 3500 calories less than you spend in order to lose 1lb in a week. The more you tell the app you want to lose in a week, the larger the deficit it will indicate... and the hungrier you will be.

While most people automatically pick a 2lb a week goal, such a goal is usually NOT appropriate unless they happen to be obese, or extremely active, or a combination of both that creates a TDEE of between 4000 and 5000 Cal a day. I note that MFP uses NEAT not TDEE for your base calories.

A more appropriate, in my opinion, method would be to calculate a deficit that does not exceed 20% of TDEE (up to 25% while having the fat reserves associated with being obese)

This, incidentally, answers your other question: the more active you are, the more calories the applications expects you will need to eat. Otherwise you will be creating a bigger deficit. Which is NOT always a good thing.

All these values, of course, are guesses based on population statistics.

Your own weight trend results over 3 to 5 weeks when compared to your expected weight change based on your consistent logging will allow you to better evaluate if they are good or bad guesses when it comes to YOU!

If you are indeed active you may be under-eating for your activity level and making things sub-optimal and harder than they have to be.

It is the BALANCE of calories that counts.

Pav really knows his stuff--I'd give a listen here. Being overly hungry is counter productive and tends to set you up for failure. He wins who eats as much as he (or she) can and STILL loses weight.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    When trying to lose two pounds per week you are going to be hungry.