Sweet treats at work...

Options
How do you all deal with communal food at work? I am talking about sweet snacks in general... For example, today one member of staff brought in mini-muffins, and I just couldn't help myself! I have to work with all this temption around me!

Do any of you have anu suggestions on how not to let this kind of working environment sabotage your healthy eating efforts?

xx

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    We have two cubicles at work designated for food...not a day goes by when they aren't full of donuts, cakes, cookies, chips, etc. Just don't go around it. I don't go to those cubicles. I have my own snacks, and that's that. It's just willpower. Just like we teach our kids to just say no, you gotta do the same thing.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    stay strong, It's like that at my office also-- its okay to indulge once in a while, only allow yourself one treat per week at work.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that brought LIGHT desserts....to work when we had little treats. She brought a light pumpkin cheesecake. Why dont YOU try out some new desserts or treats that are helathy...and bring that to work, to encourage OTHERS to live a more healthy lifestyle. It opened my eyes when my friend started bringing things that I actually LIKED low cal stuff! Who knew? BEst of luck! : )
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I literally just posted as my status that I'm struggling today at work because someone brought in cupcakes. They sit right by the only door to our office, so I pass them every time I leave. I finally gave in and just had a cupcake so I wouldn't be tortured all day, and now I feel terrible over one little cupcake. I'm working on the guilt part associated with it!

But to your question - where is the food kept at your office? Somewhere you have to pass by, or could you take an alternate route?

Also - I find that if I log the cupcake or mini-muffin prior to giving in and eating it, sometimes it will stop me from getting it. Or I get a healthy snack that I brought with me instead and just try to get my mind off of the junk. It doesn't always work, but it helps sometimes.

Good luck - I know it's tough!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Try bringing in a low calorie sweet option to have rather than the ones provided at work. Maybe a handful of chocolate covered pretzels, or a small piece of chocolate. Even some granola bars will do it for me. Or even a bowl of cut up fruit? There are a lot of options out there for under 100-150 calories... just gotta find what fills your sweet tooth!
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the WORST problem with all the random JUNK that people bring to work (and even the candy jars sitting on random desks). In my job people bring in a variety of cookies, cakes, breads, and other treats all the time. I don't think people understand that their show of "gratitude" is increasing my "latitude."

It is hard for me to pass by without picking up a treat. Until a couple days ago I've not been able to say no. Granted I have some things going on in my life that were killing my motivation and drive to succeed.

I have started saying (allowed when necessary), "I don't need this! I'm better than this and I will only regret it later."

I have also done what I can to not walk past the areas where "treats" are kept. I try to eat enough before work to curb cravings, but also take healthy (yet sweet) treats with me so I can battle the urge to "junk out."
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Figure out the calories in one of them, and how long it would take to exercise to burn it off. Or keep a picture for motivation if you're waffling. Myself, I would have one, or a half, and do an extra workout or modify my eating the rest of the day to allow for it. You do have to have some enjoyment in life. You just have to decide if that mini muffin is worth it.

Also, keeping some healthy snacks close by can help avert temptation. Or go drink a glass or two of water, then think about the treat again.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    My office is facing the counter in the kitchen at work and I constantly have to stare at muffins etc. I just have to tell my self I dont want one! Its hard. but If I wanna loose weight I know what I gotta do (ignore them) xxxx
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    I find that looking up the calories in a sweet treat makes it less sweet. I also don't like to have it staring at me from my Recent Foods, reminding me that I just HAD to have it...
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My coworker behind me has a constant supply of Peanut and Plain M&M's. I don't have them everyday and some days are harder but when I do I just make sure I log it. But Chocolate is my weakness. People bring in other treats all the time but they are not my weakness. I guess only indulge if its something you REALLY like. Not all the time but once in awhile but don't waste your calories on food that you know is not your favorite. Plus maybe just take a bite or split with someone.

I hope that helped... I agree you should stay away as much as you can but I know there are days when that is hard to do!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I HATE this and haven't figured out how to cope with this. I wish there were a policy against it. Heck, my company has more annoying strict policies against stuff. Why not this?

What has helped me is working from home more often. I realize that's not an option for most, but thank goodness it is for me. You can only pass by it so many times before the will power goes away.
  • darlenewanamaker
    darlenewanamaker Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with communal food at work? I am talking about sweet snacks in general... For example, today one member of staff brought in mini-muffins, and I just couldn't help myself! I have to work with all this temption around me!

Do any of you have anu suggestions on how not to let this kind of working environment sabotage your healthy eating efforts?

xx
    it is hard, I could never turn down a dessert as I progress it got easier for me, to just walk away.... it gets easier with time... what I enjoy right now is the fresh fruits and veggies, cherries add a sweet taste and you can pretend it is a mini muffin, or yogurt banana cream yogurt @ wal-mart yummy... good luck and have a great day
  • itsgrantsnitch
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight you should try to only have dessert once a day. If you choose to have it during work you will most likely regret it, BUT you could probably take one home for after dinner. If it's something that's too horrible for your health simply say "I'm not hungry, thanks anyways" and go on with your work. Use your best willpower and focus on your work, drink a swig of water and it will be over before you know it :)
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think every office has that snack area. Here at my office we started a "Wellness" commettie to try and get some healhy light snacks in. I sometimes make bananna nut muffins with flax seed and bring them in. They are way better then the nasty doughnuts that are always on the counter. Maybe you can find like minded coworkers and try something like this.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I'm a teacher. All the treats are placed in the teacher's lounge. Thus...I almost NEVER go into the lounge. If I don't see it/know it's there, I won't take any.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

xx

It's a mental game as well. I quit snacking at work one day and haven't had anything other than sunflower kernals and peanuts off it since.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    If you count it into your calories and do a work out should you really feel guilty??? Food is not the enemy. I am a firm believer in eating what you want in moderation. If someone brings something to the office like the cupcakes I would cut one in half and eat pnly the half. Done. If the temptation is still there then if the items can be removed to a different location I would do that. If not I have to count on my will power not to eat the other half! Our snacks are usually in the Staff Room. Someone just brought in tirimisu. Wow was it good. But again I had a very small piece and half of that.
  • xXxbig_hazel_eyesxXx
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys...

I think looking up the calorie content of something before I eat it is a really good idea. I just need to tell myself that I want to be fit and healthy more than I want the treat. Tbh. They are never as good as you think they'd be anyway and I always feel worse after eating them!

xx
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My office is the exact same.

For some reason though, my boss insists that all the treats sit on the edge of my desk...taunting me.

For each day that goes by where I don't pick at the chocolates/candies/donuts/cupcakes, I'm super proud of myself. Try looking at it as a game that tests your willpower :)

If it does get the best of you though, make sure you know exactly what you're going to be eating, and log it
  • BigBadVooDooBob
    Options
    Pure willpower, baby! Or avoid the area the food is in. Last week our controller brought in donuts from my favorite local donut shop. I stayed out of her office until all that was left was the kinds I don't like...and that's not too many! But I could here them calling me all day.......