Aaahh! Need support to kick the sugar!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in so many foods that cutting it out is not feasible without a very restrictive diet, keeping it low on the other hand means I have a lot more energy, and can get a lot more done, plus my appetite is reduced and I get less skin infections. You may not have troubles with sugar but remember too many of us do
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I actually had trouble with silly advice and fearmongering, which made me resort to disordered eating, which made me malnourished and obese. Education has enabled me to enjoy a varied and balanced diet, and remain weight stable for three years. I know which road I prefer.
  • Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Clarify your reasons and objective to yourself - is it on medical advice or what are you trying to achieve? Do you mean avoid all sugar or added sugars?
    Read all product labels before purchase. Find out which foods fit into your overall sugar ‘budget’. You may need to re-educate your palate. The veg recipe suggestion above is a good one.
    Keep an open diary in mfp if you don’t have one already. Don’t keep sugary stuff in the house and keep a low/no sugar snack in your bag. Good luck.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My weakness was ice cream, gelato to be exact. But now I make my own with frozen bananas, delish!
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 20 of no sugar and pretty much no added sugars (doing my best). I feel so much better. I find that things like donuts completely mess me up and make me hungrier when I eat them. Knowing how good I feel without donuts, cookies, bread, etc. is really motivating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    My weakness was ice cream, gelato to be exact. But now I make my own with frozen bananas, delish!
    You do realize that bananas are high in sugar?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I gave up 99% of added sugars 60 days ago, after gradually reducing for several months. I still eat fruit and carbs, though it's rare for me to have white flour or white rice, etc., I stick with complex carbs except maybe an occasional dinner out. Giving up added sugar has helped me so much with snacking!

Tired of hearing "but fruit has sugar!" on this website. We ALL know fruit has sugar (and so do many veggies) but because of the fiber it doesn't spike your blood sugar. It doesn't give me the sugar rush or subsequent cravings for more, which is the biggest issue those of us who have a sugar problem struggle with - the cravings. And fruit has lots of health benefits. Anyway, I used to eat fruit PLUS sugary foods so now I have a very reasonable amount of total sugar intake from fruits and veggies.

It is somewhat restrictive to cut out added sugar, I buy a special brand of bread with no added sugar and don't eat bottled sauces, salad dressings, etc. but I don't miss them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    While I think that it's great that people want to reduce sugar intake, people just have to realize that it's EATING BEHAVIOR that was the cause of weight gain.
    You can go all over the world and see in other countries that they have the same access to sugar laden products that we do and they still eat rice, noodles, breads, etc. along with it and still don't mirror the same weight issues like the US for one main reason......................................................they don't over consume based on different eating behaviors.
    Anyone who is fit and lean on here will usually echo the same. It's not essentially what you're eating. It's HOW MUCH you're eating that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    cjsacto wrote: »
    I gave up 99% of added sugars 60 days ago, after gradually reducing for several months. I still eat fruit and carbs, though it's rare for me to have white flour or white rice, etc., I stick with complex carbs except maybe an occasional dinner out. Giving up added sugar has helped me so much with snacking!

Tired of hearing "but fruit has sugar!" on this website. We ALL know fruit has sugar (and so do many veggies) but because of the fiber it doesn't spike your blood sugar. It doesn't give me the sugar rush or subsequent cravings for more, which is the biggest issue those of us who have a sugar problem struggle with - the cravings. And fruit has lots of health benefits. Anyway, I used to eat fruit PLUS sugary foods so now I have a very reasonable amount of total sugar intake from fruits and veggies.

It is somewhat restrictive to cut out added sugar, I buy a special brand of bread with no added sugar and don't eat bottled sauces, salad dressings, etc. but I don't miss them.
    Incorrect. All sugar will increase your blood sugar. That's why diabetics aren't allowed to have loads of them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sugar used to be my downfall and I was diagnosed with insulin resistance at age 16. I'm now 23 and spent the past 7 years reducing my sugar intake and now I find that I have a healthy balance and can enjoy treats without going overboard - because I didn't completely eliminate the food I loved. I am not insulin resistant anymore and neither do I feel such cravings to snack.

My advice is to slowly reduce your sugar intake (discipline is required), finding healthy alternatives and if you really crave something, enjoy a reasonable portion of it. I still have a sweet snack after dinner every night, whether it be a fruit salad, a lollipop, a frozen yogurt or whatever. Everyone is different, but I learned that not giving myself that small little sweet piece of deliciousness daily (if I craved it) then I would just end up eating everything at once.

It wasn't easy, but it is much easier than going cold turkey and thinking about sugar the whole day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The taste for sugar is a learned behavior and the only way to retrain your palate is to stop eating sweets. Go for a month and eat no cake, candy, cookies, ice cream, and sugary coffee drinks. Enjoy any fruit. You will be surprised how quickly those things will taste too sweet for you. Even oranges are too sweet for me so I eat grapefruit instead.

Remember, if you don't buy them you won't eat them.
  • cjsacto
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    cjsacto wrote: »

Incorrect. All sugar will increase your blood sugar. That's why diabetics aren't allowed to have loads of them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, of course you can't have loads of them. I typically have one-three servings of fruit per day. No one is saying you can have unlimited fruit sugar, just that those of us who find that refined sugar and traditional desserts trigger cravings and addictive feelings can still have fruit, it doesn't have the same effect of a rapid sugar rush and crash and craving and binge.

You talk about eating behavior -- that's exactly what we are talking about, struggling with this behavior.
  • cjsacto
    Options
    I stand by my statement that fruit doesn't spike your blood sugar. I didn't say it doesn't raise it at all.

"Fruits contain some simple sugars like fructose and glucose, however they also contain longer chain carbohydrates that take longer to digest and absorb."

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2014/09/white-sugar-vs-fruit-sugar-theres-a-big-difference/