Holy calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You can have a small serve of pasta mixed with zoodles. That way you have a more filling meal and still get a pasta hit without heaps of calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What main meal is 200 calories? Certainly not mine. I, too, would be upset if I had to settle for 200 calories of anything for a main meal. If I'm having pasta it's in the realm of 500-700 calories which is pretty reasonable and filling (to me). It is possible to bulk things up with vegetables. I mean, if you REALLy want pasta and you like it in large amounts you don't have to do all zoodles, it can mix the zoodles into real pasta.
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What main meal is 200 calories? Certainly not mine. I, too, would be upset if I had to settle for 200 calories of anything for a main meal. If I'm having pasta it's in the realm of 500-700 calories which is pretty reasonable and filling (to me). It is possible to bulk things up with vegetables. I mean, if you REALLy want pasta and you like it in large amounts you don't have to do all zoodles, it can mix the zoodles into real pasta.

Not the whole meal. Just the pasta without the bolognese sauce which is around 400 cals per serving if I use 90% lean ground beef.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @TeacupsAndToning
    It’s actually really good! You should try it! The sauce is what delivers the flavor; noodles don’t add much. I usually put it over raw spinach.
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There were a lot of things that I pretty readily gave up once I started counting calories, because I didn't like them enough to make it worth the calories they contained.

That's exactly how I feel
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    fjpatten wrote: »

Not the whole meal. Just the pasta without the bolognese sauce which is around 400 cals per serving if I use 90% lean ground beef.

Oh, that makes sense. 200 calories of pasta is a reasonable portion for me but I can understand how it wouldn't be for others. If it's not worth the calories for you and you're happy without it you don't have to have it, but if you really want some you could do marinara and bulk it with veggies.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I never eat pasta and haven't for years because it's just not worth it and I don't even really like plain noodles its the sauce I like so I am with you on zoodles. My favorites are zucchini and carrot.

Dont try those tofu noodles the are terrible with pasta sauce by the way. Only good in stir fries and soups.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    I don't even use noodles anymore. Whenever I want that spaghetti taste I cook up some meat, add sauce, then eat it with a slice of toast. I've noticed that whenever I am after that pasta or pizza taste it is really the sauce that I am craving most.

I do this too, but instead of toast I melt fresh mozzarella on top. I’m on a doctor prescribed low carb eating plan and this is great for that.

• smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love pasta. I make 4 portions of Bolognese out of 500g mince beef for around 200 Cal's each and have 250-300 Cal's pasta.
    Once upon a time my portions of both were double at least but I usually find this fine now. If I'm feeling really hungry I might have a salad starter first.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use the bagged Tri-color shredded cabbage mix as a substitute for spaghetti. Actually, I use it to replace many starches - with pot roast & gravy instead of potatoes; with chicken curry instead of rice; etc. adds great nutrition, fiber, flavor for far less calories!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a great base for sauce, too
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    I don't even use noodles anymore. Whenever I want that spaghetti taste I cook up some meat, add sauce, then eat it with a slice of toast. I've noticed that whenever I am after that pasta or pizza taste it is really the sauce that I am craving most.

I wish that would work for me! When I crave spaghetti, I crave the whole thing. Texture, mouth feel, etc., meaning I need the pasta component. And not whole wheat pasta either...the oft vilified stuff :-). There are certainly "spaghetti-like" dishes I make, eat, enjoy, and even crave at times, but when the want is spaghetti, it is real thing or nothing. That said, my version if spaghetti has lots of veggies and protein so it isn't really all that awful.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I actually got a pretty good sized portion of spaghetti noodles for like 330 calories. Then again I also eat like 6-800 calories for dinner
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can also do sweet potato noodles and butternut squash noodles. As well as the good ole favourite of spaghetti squash. They all taste great as a pasta replacement. I had butternut squash myself tonight, and had spaghetti squash last night.

Spaghetti squash shrimp scampi. Google it. Amazing. I'm celiac, so I can't even cheat with pasta. :)
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used to do this too! Plus I thought pesto was healthier than tomato sauce because it was green... smh

I think of noodles as a side dish now, I won't cut them out but I also won't have them as my main. I can live with that. :)
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I never feel guilty about eating pasta. I weigh 100g dry and eat that with whatever sauce I make. I want it so I make it fit my goals #simples