Losing my motivation

Options
I've been doing really well since I started seriously focusing on losing weight and getting healthier a few months ago. In the last few weeks, however, I've had a really hard time keeping on top of things. For a couple of weeks I couldn't get myself to go to the gym and just get my workout in, plus I was really struggling with my food. Now, I've been back to the gym consistently since Monday which feels great, but the last two days I just totally overdid it with eating. Friday night I was hanging with a good friend and last night SO and I were putting the den back together after having to get new carpet. So I was having some drinks and snacking.

I've been hovering around the same average weight even though the daily numbers fluctuate in about a 3 pound range.

I guess I just want some encouragement. Something to make me realize that I'm not doing anything but hurting myself. Rationally, I know I'm not going to get anywhere if I don't stick to the plan, but I just keep giving in to the temptation of eating like a "normal" person lately. And usually I start the day OK, and then fall off in the evening.

Anything helps. Thanks.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    all i can say is that its a lifetime of diligence. I wouldnt rely on motivation alone for the long haul. Its great when you have it, but motivation is a fickle drive. You have to rely on habits, routine and finding the will to make decisions without it. Your "normal" should be healthy, smart decisions sprinkled with "abnormal" bouts of recklessness.
  • ljbutler1000
    ljbutler1000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all the healthful improvements you've made in your life!! Don't overlook all of your progress when thinking about your stumbling blocks.

What plan are you trying to stick to? If you're completely depriving yourself of your most favorite foods, or if your diet is missing some key nutrients, or both, in my experience, your body will rebel and you have not much control over what happens. Same is true if you let yourself get too hungry.

I do have the same issue as you with eating more food when I'm with other people. Sometimes it helps me to consciously think about WHY I am out - it isn't to eat, its to spend time with friends, and I can do that with just an iced tea, or a salad. I find it hard to resist a platter of tortilla chips that shows up in the middle of the table, but if I just don't ever have 1 chip, its much easier to ignore it the rest of the night.

If you have a favorite food, have it once in a while, but not just because it's in front of you - plan a night and go to your favorite restaurant and let the food be the reason for going out, and really concentrate on enjoying it while you have it.

I have some trigger foods that I simply never keep in the house because I would binge, so, for instance, if I want ice cream, I'll get a single serving in my local ice cream parlor. I completely avoid the ice cream aisle at the grocery store.

Perhaps the best piece of advice I can give is to cut yourself some slack. Forgive yourself for not being perfect, and try again the next day.

I lost 70 lbs, but it took about 3 years of on and off the wagon. I've kept it off for 3 years. Right now I'm on this site because a new relationship helped me to regain 10lbs, but I'm sure I'll get it back off.

Best of luck!
    Linda
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I, too, almost completely fell off the wagon for the umpteenth time. I lost all the weight I needed to lose (60#), rewarded myself with a trip to Maui where I indulged to my heart's content. Then for some reason just started doing everything halfassed. I managed to gain about 8 pounds and just couldn't seem to get back with the program. I was pissed at myself as the scale continued to creep up. Then I began to focus on the things that have improved in my life, low cholesterol, no acid reflux, no aches and pains, size 8 jeans in the closet instead of size 16s. I realized I do not want to go that direction and admit to myself that I had failed yet again. I'm back to logging very diligently and trying to get back to my exercise routine. Being older I don't have much leeway for calorie intake if I don't exercise so unless I step up the program I can't eat much, which sucks! Hang in there, focus on the positive and take it one day at a time. You can do this!
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hear you sister! The last couple of weeks for me have been awful. It was my partners birthday then a friend's wedding, but instead of just being "naughty" on those days, I allowed it to ruin the entire week...big mistake! I'm cross with myself and I feel rubbish. Tomorrow is the start of a new week, so I'm going to hit the gym hard and really pay attention to what I put in my body. I also really need to start getting in my fruit and veg and plenty of water.

We will get over this. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other.

Good luck...don't beat yourself up, we'll both get our mojo back