Gaining weight even though I’m running?

Options
I’m 5’4 115 lbs and I eat around 1200 cals a day. I also am running about 4 miles every other day, yet I seem to be gaining fat around my stomach and thighs. Is this normal??

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    You "seem to be" gaining fat.

To you have objective evidence of this fat gain like the scale going up?

Is there a reason you're only eating 1200 calories a day? You're very near the bottom of the recommended weight for your height.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Or everywhere else is getting smaller and it just seems like those areas are bigger in comparison?

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Or everywhere else is getting smaller and it just seems like those areas are bigger in comparison?

That would be my guess. Running can make your hips and thighs get tighter and more muscular, appearing more narrow. If the upper part of you didn't change, you might feel more poochy. But your stats are tiny--can't imagine it looks bad!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If the scale is going up, More than likely water retention. Your muscles retain water to help them heal
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    remmus102 wrote: »
    I’m 5’4 115 lbs and I eat around 1200 cals a day. I also am running about 4 miles every other day, yet I seem to be gaining fat around my stomach and thighs. Is this normal??

Plus I can't imagine you losing anymore weight. You're near underweight. I'm 5'4 and 129.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    "seem to be" is probably your issue. Don't "seem" - measure.