Help I feel like crying!

Options
penola
penola Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys, I desperately need your help. Since my 20's I have done so many different diets with limited success. I made the decision not to do anymore fad diets and just stick to exercise and MFP. I have stuck to 1500 cals with a average 40/30/30 ratio. I have upped my exercise from 1 weight based pt circuit a week with 2-3 jog/walk/jog sessions (30-60mins). I have lost zilch, zero, nothing!!!!!! I am 41, 5'4 and weight 178.5lb. I know I need to drink more fluid but not sure what else to do. X

Replies

• Dustin6047
    Dustin6047 Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for? If it's been two weeks, then you're overestimating calorie intake. If it's been less than two weeks, give it time. You may have burned fat but not lost weight because of water retention.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Are you using kitchen scales to weigh all your solids and measuring cups and spoons for liquids? This includes prepackaged food which can weight up to 20% more than indicated on the package.
    Are you using accurate database entries when logging? Check everything against package labels and the USDA database.
    How are you working out exercise calories? Many exercise machines and even MFP can overestimate calorie burn.
  • penola
    Options
    4 weeks. My pt wanted me to eat 1800 but if I'm not losing a 1500, there's no chance at 1800. X
  • penola
    Options
    How long have you been doing this routine for?

Do you weigh all of your food?

yes i either scan bar codes or weigh ingredients if I make from fresh x
  • penola
    Options
    Dustin6047 wrote: »
    How long have you been dieting for? If it's been two weeks, then you're overestimating calorie intake. If it's been less than two weeks, give it time. You may have burned fat but not lost weight because of water retention.

4 weeks. My pt wanted me to eat 1800 but if I'm not losing a 1500, there's no chance at 1800. X
  • penola
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Are you using kitchen scales to weigh all your solids and measuring cups and spoons for liquids? This includes prepackaged food which can weight up to 20% more than indicated on the package.
    Are you using accurate database entries when logging? Check everything against package labels and the USDA database.
    How are you working out exercise calories? Many exercise machines and even MFP can overestimate calorie burn.

I have a fitbit blaze that has an hr monitor x
  • penola
    Options
    penola wrote: »
    How long have you been doing this routine for?

Do you weigh all of your food?

yes i either scan bar codes or weigh ingredients if I make from fresh x

Packaging is often wrong so chances are you're eating more than you should.

And you're probably holding onto some water. You're not that far from the start of your new routine. Just keep with it and it'll start to come off.

Thank you x
  • Dustin6047
    Dustin6047 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1500 calories a day may be less than a pound a week for you (even with exercise), and if you are counting calories honestly then it's possible you actually have lost 3-4 pounds of fat but you can't see it on the scale because of temporary weight retention (maybe you're gaining some muscle). More likely there are some food items that you are worse than you think, and you may be measuring portions incorrectly. You should assume this before anything else.
  • samisobel
    samisobel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't add calories back in when you exercise.
    Try your chosen 1500 calories for 5 days of the week and have one day with an extra 200 and one day with an extra 500. These indulgence meals help me stay on track. I weigh everything I eat on a scale and stick to 1400 calories 5 days a week... but that works got me! I am steadily losing weight this way.
  • fatand54
    fatand54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The scanning of packages is a big mistake unless you check the nutrition on the side also. I was under the impression the the scanned information was input by the manufacturer, this is not the case and it is us users who put in the information which in a lot of cases is not correct. Some entries can be way off so best to double check
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You have to weigh EVERYTHING. Accurately tracking your intake is of supreme importance.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As per all of the above. Key points:
    1) weigh and measure everything
    2) read packages carefully -- look at the serving size
    3) log every bite, lick and taste -- the smallest thing counts
    4) don't eat back all of your exercise calories

CICO works. Be patient and persistent. It will pay off. Good luck!
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If pt wanted u to try 1800 perhaps u should. Weigh and measure everything, dont forget to log and good luck to u.