Sudden weight gain of 4lbs/2kgs

Options
k2max67
k2max67 Posts: 11 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and weight 129.7 kgs (286 lbs)
I had started my diet around 20 days ago, following the recommended calorie count . In the first week I lost around 2 kgs. In the second week I also did cardio , but had no weight loss, so I stopped cardio after which I started losing weight. Overall I had lost around 4 kgs (~8 lbs) till this Friday. However, on Friday I ate white rice after which I suddenly gained back 2 kgs on Saturday. I had also reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories 4 days earlier, instead of the recommended 1790 calories. I want to understand the cause of weight gain, is it because I lowered my calorie intake from the recommended amount or is it related to white rice/glycogen increase or some other cause.

thanks!

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's glycogen. Don't worry about it.

Also, your weight gain around exercise was normal and would have smoothed out. It had to do with water weight as well. You should keep exercising.

Try using a weight trending web site or app like weightgrapher or trendweight and ignore the fluctuations and pay attention to the trends.

Give yourself a month of data to see how you're doing and don't judge things on a daily basis. If your calories are in check and your logging is accurate, water weight/glycogen fluctuations aren't fat gains/losses.
  • soccer121998
    soccer121998 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Our bodies naturally fluxuate in a range from 1-5 pounds. There is no need to worry about a 4 lb gain as you will most likely lose the weight if it is due to water or food weight. If you weigh yourself at the same time everyday(ex. in the morning before any food) , you will get the most accurate reading of your actual weight
  • k2max67
    Options
    Thanks for your inputs!
    So basically my glycogen store was empty and i ate rice which made the body retain glycogen.
    Any idea if cardio would help get rid of glycogen?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    k2max67 wrote: »
    Thanks for your inputs!
    So basically my glycogen store was empty and i ate rice which made the body retain glycogen.

Cardio uses glycogen, yes. But as GottaBurnEmAll said, it's not fat. Losing fat should be your aim, not trying to manipulate your body just to have a lower reading on the scale.
  • iconick
    iconick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    k2max67 wrote: »

Yes, cardio will reduce the glycogen amount...until the next time you eat. But thinking it like this is totally wrong. It's like saying you'll quit drinking water because you'll get heavier.
    You need glycogen in your system to be able to function. You want to reduce fat, not glycogen.

• k2max67
    Options
    Got the point. Thanks all!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Understand that as you gain glycogen, you gain water. For every gram of glycogen, your body retains 3-4 grams of water. So an increase of glycogen, offset by an equal decrease of fat, will show as weight gain from the water involved.

But it has no bearing on how much fat you have lost. So go back to doing cardio and add some weight training. Expect your weight to bump up and down as you lose weight.