What do you like to do with kimchi?

Options
bobbigirl83
bobbigirl83 Posts: 37 Member
Let's talk about kimchi. I have never tried it, but it seems like something I would really enjoy.

How do you use it in your meals?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's great just as a side dish but works wonders in many dishes to provide a counterpoint to fat. I've put it on grilled cheese, egg sandwiches, or my personal favorite, kimchi fried rice.
  • Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Which type? There are 100+ types. Do you mean cabbage? (most popular) Cucumber kimchi is a great side dish and turnip as well. I agree with the above poster, kimchi fried rice is awesome :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Mix it into soup or rice dishes, put it on a sandwich, eat it just as a snack.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    +1 for kimchi fried rice! 90% of the time I just eat it plain as a snack though
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Kimchi fried pancakes (similar to chinese scallion pancakes but with kimchi instead of scallions) are also ridiculously delicious.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I put it on my eggs.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I like it with rice, but I've even had it with a burrito
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I prefer it in the garbage can! Sorry.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My current kimchi combination right now is Kimchi and tofu. Toast your tofu in a nonstick pan and then just eat it with your kimchi and if you like dip it into tamari soy sauce. YUM!
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Throw it out. That stuff is gross! :P
  • CassAndRah86
    CassAndRah86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love kimchi. I eat it by itself as a snack or I pair it with some rice.
  • Jazznit
    Jazznit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We often make bibimbap for supper. Quite simple to make actually and top it off with Cabbage Kimchi.
    I will also make Kimchi ramen with a poached egg when I am sick. Korean food is very healthy and uses a lot of fermented gut healthy seasonings and sides. I really like "Korean Food Made Simple" with Judy Joo. It is very potent and releases gas because of the fermentation. So I usually only buy what I need.
  • bethstadnicki
    bethstadnicki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kimchi and scrambled eggs.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Just had a new one this weekend. Deviled eggs topped with a touch of kimchi and bacon. It was awesome.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Ramen or udon (or hell, leftover spaghetti)
    + chicken broth w/ garlic, ginger, and scallion (or the ramen flavor packet, or miso)
    + leftover protein (pork tenderloin, sliced steak, shredded chicken)
    + kimchi.
    (Throw an egg on it!)

Rice, soft boiled egg, avocado, kimchi. Soy sauce to taste.

Sliced cucumber, top with kimchi.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I put my kimchi on top of a scallion pa jun from Trader Joes, and then top with two basted eggs.
    Runny yolk + kimchi = YES
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just have it as a small side dish...I'm eating some right now with my eggs for breakfast.

If you heat it, you will lose the beneficial bacteria if you don't know that already...
  • GoodnightJulia
    GoodnightJulia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What DON'T you do with kimchi?

Really it's the best. I mix it up with some eggs and rice in the morning, eat it all by itself, make Kimchi Jjigae (a stew with pork, tofu, and kimchi), have it on burgers, put it with steamed fish.

If you're looking to mix things up, check out some Korean recipes (kimchi is either a side or ingredient in like 90% of Korean meals), or learn how to make your own kimchi -- it's very easy, cheaper than buying it, and there are hundreds of different variations you can do.