Gaining on a plant based diet

Options
Hello,

Having recently transitioned to a pure plant based diet I have noticed weight loss. Any idea of the quantities and specific foods I should be consuming to gain weight?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    maruk42 wrote: »
    Hello,

Having recently transitioned to a pure plant based diet I have noticed weight loss. Any idea of the quantities and specific foods I should be consuming to gain weight?

if you are losing weight you are in a deficit which means you need to eat more food if you want to gain.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The number you are looking for is total calories. You have to get your total calories higher than you burn during the day. Try adding plants with extra fat. This would include all nuts and seeds, avocado, Edamame. I just mention these because fat has twice the calories per gram compared to carbs or proteins. But you can gain on any food if you eat enough of it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat more plant based food.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Drink Miracle Grow plant food.
  • aprilemt
    aprilemt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah you’re probably just not eating enough pure volume of food. Keep in mind that plant foods in general are much less caloricly dense than meat. Therefore you have to eat about twice the amount of food than you’re used to eating. Look up Brian turners channel on you tube or also Jon Venus channel. It’s very helpful.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Add more vegetable oil to everything. Thats all i got.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Better choke back some peanut butter and avocados. If you're drinking shakes, start adding in oils.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Does "purely plant based" mean vegan? Nuts, seeds, dried fruits, nut butters, avocado, olives, oils, and even grains can be pretty calorie-dense and are vegan.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for muscle gains, there is evidence out there that vegans need more protein than omnis by something like 20% since plant-based protein is harder to digest. Add more legumes and whole grains to your diet, as well as nuts and seeds and their respective butters.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, lentils, quinoa and seeds are all high in protein, fat and calories so eat more of those.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    More calories...