72 - Trying to tone up

Options
Dyrx
Dyrx Posts: 2 Member
I am a Vietnam Vet and I modified Body Beast for long term and my age - 72. I had a heart attack 7 years ago (5 stents) and had been doing cardio (treadmill/elliptical) regularly since then.
My Cardiologist told me that my good cholesterol readings would be much better if I incorporated weight training into my schedule. He was right, the cardio exercises lowered my “bad” and Body Beast raised the “good”.
I was over-weight and out of shape when I did the first set of Body Beast “lean” almost 2 years ago. I was constantly sore… sometimes to the point where I found it difficult to move in the morning. It was a “good” sore, but one cannot continue that for too long… well… maybe some can… but I cannot. I lost a little weight but gained it back, so I did another round of BB about a year ago… again… lost a little weight but gained it back. In my opinion, if one does not adjust diet too…permanently….the weight will not stay off.
Toward the end of July this year, I changed my routine to incorporate a modified Body Beast “lean”. This is still in process but looks like something that can sustain me moving forward. I am 6’1” and have lost about 15lbs …227 down to 212 and feel great… a touch of “good” sore once in awhile (mostly after “legs” ).
Here is what I do….
Every morning: Stretch and core – Stretch all parts of body, including fingers, for 10 breaths (~15 sec) Interspersed with that I do (15 reps ea); Leg lifts on the bench (55lbs); Arm lifts (55lbs); Sit-ups on the bench; Butt lifts with feet on a 70” ball; Twist-Twist with 2lb weights on wrists; Superman stretch with wrist weights; Push-ups (vary arm position each day). More detail about all the stretches later or if asked. In all, this takes less than 30 minutes with no strain.
I alternate cardio with BB….
Cardio days – if weather permits, I ride my mtn bike…. Did 20 miles yesterday for instance. I have a heart rate monitor – Solar H10 , that records my rate and I post that online. Yesterday, for instance was worth 1500 calories according to the recorder and my heart rate was “in the zone” for over an hour. I have other cardio plans for bad weather/winter… will elaborate later.
Body Beast days – BB is a great program for those who want “no impact” weight training. I have also tried 5x5 squats and others but found they were too hard on joints … at my age, I cannot afford injuries! I modified BB by using less weight (obvious) and doing fewer reps! This is what is working for me and I am almost half-way through this time… doing it every other day. So.. when it is Arm day, instead of 15-12-8 …. I do 12-9-6 or 12-9-6-6-9-12 as required. I am still adjusting the weights but mostly down so that I am not overly sore the next day (my last “leg” session I was very sore for 3 days – NOT what I want).
So, now the 90 day program takes more like 6 months and I can repeat over and over! I do take some days off… like when I was working on my roof… that was enough exercise, IMO!

Replies

• oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'm going to check out Body Beast for sure.