Is this a disordered eating thought?

Options
hararayne
hararayne Posts: 261 Member
edited October 2017 in Motivation and Support
I've been on mfp quite awhile but I took a break. Found out I have PCOS. Lost about 10 lbs, finally after being on metformin for a few months. Got down another 5 by watching what I ate and now, I'm bouncing around at that 5 lb weight loss, I gain and lose it every week or so.
Today, after going to a football party at a bar and having the buffet there, a few hours,later, I asked my boyfriend if he wants to get ice cream. He asked, why do you want to get ice cream?
I know he wants me to lose more weight. I want to lose more too. But he is constantly talking about Dr Greiger's How Not to Die. He works out daily, often twice a day because he's not working. He isn't losing any weight. He is probably around 190lbs at 6'3".
What I heard, when he asked me, "why do you want ice cream?"is "why do you want ice cream, when you're so fat? "
He didn't actually say this. And when I told him how he was making me feel, what the question sounded like, he said I have mental problems.

Replies

• MarieTrees23
    MarieTrees23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First, I just want to say that you are not wrong in the way you feel. What he said is hurtful.

As someone who has PCOS (and hypothyroid, insulin resistance, etc) I know it’s a pain in the *kitten*. It makes the journey harder. We all know getting started and keeping with it is already hard enough. I just want to reassure you that it’s possible.

When I started, I hadn’t had a period for 5 years (thank you, PCOS). I’m 25. Last year I had my first period for the first time in literally all of my young adult life.

PCOS is motivation in itself. If you have the regular symptoms of fatigue, hair everywhere you don’t want it, hormone craziness, and all the goods... these get better as you lose weight. It’s a reminder everyday that you are becoming a healthier version of yourself.

As far as your conversation with your boyfriend I think it’s best to keep reminding him of how that sort of comments make you feel while also keeping in mind that he just wants you to be the healthiest you can be. You know? It doesn’t excuse *kitten* comments by any means. Sometimes people say dumb things, not to be hateful, but because they’re trying to help. They just don’t know how.

I hope that moving forward you receive support from him rather than what you described in your post. Keep going at it, don’t give up.

• hararayne
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate hearing from others about their pcos stories. So I have been looking for old threads about that. And I really appreciate hearing that it's not just me that would have taken the comment that way.
    Today, after work I'm planning to put together a weight bench in the basement and take a look at this, starting strength program. I'm going to keep plugging away, and I will be starting logging again today using tdee and "in place of a road map".
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people don't think before they speak. I had a very similar thing happen to me with that and her reasoning is "well your always complaining about not losing weight or gaining weight, why should you blow it with this" I get it, BUT that doesn't mean once in a while I don't want something special to treat myself with. Maybe he was just trying to be helpful in a way he thought was right even though we don't agree. I don't at all think this is mental problems and if it is considered mental problems then I'm in the same boat as you! Best of luck!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I get this with my husband sometimes, however I know that is because I was overweight for so long I am self conscious, and its something I am working on. I think I read into what he is saying more than I should at times. But I think its great you just asked him about it and told him you felt, I do the same thing and typically when I understand why he said what he said I feel better.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What you have described does not suggest to me that you have a mental problem. Regardless of how your boyfriend intended his question, I can see how you might feel this way. It sounds like you tried to discuss this with him in an open, honest way, which is healthy. Honestly, what this does sound like to me is your boyfriend gas lighting you.

Working out multiple times a day and constantly talking about Greiger's How Not to Die could suggest an unhealthy preoccupation with weight/health/healthy eating.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    He asked it insensitively but the question still stands and you need to answer it to yourself. You're choosing what you want now over what you want most.

And it might not be that he thinks you're fat, he might've been disappointed. When I see people (I'm including myself in this, so don't think this is self righteous!) short change themselves on their goals, I'm disappointed in THAT, not the actual action. Disappointed that I'm CHOOSING to have ice cream, not so much the actual EATING of ice cream. Does that make sense? Think of it in the converse; if you had said "I'd REALLY love some ice cream right now but nope; I'm gonna stay on track." that would have been something you both could've been proud of.

To answer your question...I don't think that indicates a disorder, maybe just misreading his intentions due to his poor choice of words.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him to help support and motivate you?

Mrs Jruzer very occasionally asks me why I'm eating something, or points out that I'm maybe going a bit overboard. But I know she does it out of love and concern.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First, his response that you have mental problems was wrong.

His response to your question about getting ice cream might have more to do with how he felt about food at the moment; than it had to do with you, your goals, or your relationship with food. I am assuming that you both went to the bar for the football game, in which case you and he spent 3 - 4 hours with access to a buffet. How much did he eat during the game? Personally when I go to a buffet it affects my food choices for the rest of the day (ex. Lunch buffet = light supper & small or no bed-time dessert, Supper buffet = no bed-time dessert). After leaving a buffet I am uncomfortably full and a few hours later I would still feel full and have no desire to eat. If someone asked if I wanted ice cream I would turn them down. His reply with a question might have been based more on his own feeling of being full/overfull and not wanting to think about eating yet.

It is also possible that he observed how much you ate during the game and was trying to trigger some mindfulness as to at that moment why you wanted ice cream. Were you actually hungry? Did you eat too much salty food and needed something sweet to counter the salt?

You have given a partial snapshot of the interaction between you and your boyfriend, from your perspective. However none of us were there to actually observe everything that was said or how it was said, so we are at best playing Monday morning Dr Phils.

Keep in mind that nothing can destroy a relationship quicker than when one or both people assumes bad intention in statements that could have multiple interpretations. His response to your ice cream question could have been 1) self-centered I'm not hungry so how could you be, 2) playing Sigmund Freud and trying to get to the reason for wanting ice cream, or 3) worst-case "why do you want ice cream, when you're so fat? ". His reaction when you expressed how you felt could be 1) indignation because his response was due to his own feeling, 2) guilt at being caught trying to play psychoanalyst, or 3) defensive guilt because his mean thought was picked up on. Based on your history with him which is the most likely reason?

As to the question in your title "Is this a disordered eating thought?". There just is not enough info to answer that. This really seems to be an interpersonal communications issue that might be tinted by your feelings about yourself and your weight.

It would be a good idea to try to discuss this at a time when you are both calm and can discuss it rationally. This should be a give and take. If you feel that you might have jumped to conclusions or let your own baggage color your interruption of what was said, then be truthful and admit it. During the discussion keep yourself in check so that you don't give him an easy reason to shutdown or say you have mental problems. After the discussion review how it went. Was he open and participating in the discussion, or was he hostile, or closed off? Do you feel like you could have future discussions. If you feel that he is closed off or hostile, it will not get better with time or just because you lose weight.

Ultimately this is about your own journey through weight-loss and through life.
  • hararayne
    Options
    First thing, we did not eat lunch that day. We considered lunch to be the buffet, which we didn't have until halftime of the Packer's Cowboy game. I had stuff from the veggie tray, a burger and some French fries. I considered the ice cream later to be kind of a substitute for dinner. And I wanted to get a small soft serve sundae with strawberries from DQ. I don't subscribe to the idea of ice cream being "off track" because I did that for years, and calorie counted for years and have had disordered eating patterns and thoughts.

Secondly, we only had access to buffet for the halftime part and they put most items away after except for the veggie tray, which I did not go up for more. BUT I did have a couple of drinks which made this a pretty heavy meal when counting those in as well.

But trswallow, you are correct, he did state as well, later after his mental disorder comment that he was not hungry after eating 3 brats and tons of fries and potato chips. He also drank several more beers than I did, but he's also a guy so it's easier for him to put that away. But I had already sent my post out, and I did need the reassurance due to my past issues.

Thank you all. I appreciate the input and insights.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    hararayne wrote: »
    I know he wants me to lose more weight.

I truly believe that people often misunderstand a SO that is supportive and wants you to succeed for you from the one that wants you fit for selfish reasons, which is way more unhealthy than eating poorly. It's a very thin line between the two, but this part you need to not worry about. It doesn't matter what HE wants, it's what you want, and that's it. I realize in some cases partnerships are the way to go, such as buying a house or having kids, the other person should want it too or you're gonna struggle. But when it comes to getting in shape it doesn't matter what anyone else wants, it's your mind that has to stress over what to eat and when. Therefore it's your decision to do it and yours alone.

• trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Don't get too hung up on meal times. If you consider the buffet lunch, then it was lunch. It doesn't matter if it was between the mythical 11:30 am - 2 pm lunch time, or if it was after 4:30. It was simply lunch. The only time I would say that I truly did not eat lunch is if I ate at 8 am and didn't eat anything else until 8 pm. If I snacked during the day then I would likely count the highest calorie snack item(s) as lunch. As far as meals come up with whatever flexible definition works for you. I've seen some diaries where the traditional names have been replaced with time blocks (ex. "8am - 12pm", "12pm - 4pm", etc.). It is up to you.

It is good to see that you are not excluding items, since that could set you up for falling off the wagon. When I was losing weight I regularly ate donuts & gourmet cupcakes (think 500+ calories), and adjusted my other intake or my activity level to accommodate it. If I went significantly over then I would try to be moderately under for a couple days to balance out. However if I was losing weight, then I didn't stress too much.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Be careful in ASSUMING anything "between the lines". It's easy to read in things not there.

My response to your SO would have been: "I want some ice cream. Im a little confused by your question...can you clarify?"

It could be he heard you incorrectly or his choice of words were awkward. He might be hypercritical of your food choices. Or maybe he really feels ice cream is death. Or on second thought hed like some fudge ripple.

But stopping and getting clear will often stop a lot of miscommunication.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    or maybe what he was saying was "why do you want ice cream when i know you've been so concerned about your weight" and not know that a single trip for ice cream won't be a problem. if my husband said that, it would be what he'd mean. but what your BF meant depended on him personally.
  • agoodfig
    agoodfig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree clarification can help a lot here. I have these thoughts DAILY. My spouse is extremely supportive and working with me, but sometines things get lost in translation and my thoughts tend to run away with me. Sometimes they have good intentions, but are wording their support wrong.

I do struggle with PCOS and I do fear I might have disordered/binge eating habits that makes my workouts and lifestyle changes a struggle. I have counted calories since high school and hated it, so I ate. I did it until recent years, too, and then decided I should enjoy myself the size I was and stopped counting. And ten two weeks ago I was told I have Type 2 Diabetes. I eat everything I should as a vegetarian/largely-plant based eater. Now my concerns are more cemented and having to monitor even more my moderation is awful. Its a steep learning curve.

I dont think you have problems. I think those thoughts are normal for your history that you've mentioned, and it helps even further for people like us to clarify. I see nothing wrong with treating yourself, and you shouldn't get the side-eye for it. You know your boundaries.