Do you follow BMI guidelines?

Options
13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way: who is statistically at more risk? A woman with 20% bodyfat in the normal BMI category or the same woman with 20% bodyfat in the overweight category?

If this is what the BMI suggests, then it is inappropriate. Do you have any studies that would suggest being "overweight" at 20% fat has higher health risks? Because I'm finding that hard to believe.

You would have higher health risks compared to yourself at the same body fat and lower BMI, not compared to the population at large. Elite athletes, for example, have generally lower mortality rate than the general population, but endurance athletes score best in that regard and athletes over 30 BMI score worst.

I guess I'd need to see research on health risks from carrying additional muscle. I honestly don't buy it.

The risk is not for carrying additional muscle and honestly that applies only to a small % of outliers. Same with the short and the tall. The BMI does not generally apply to elite athletes but how many of us fit into that category really?? ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Let's put it this way: who is statistically at more risk? A woman with 20% bodyfat in the normal BMI category or the same woman with 20% bodyfat in the overweight category?

If this is what the BMI suggests, then it is inappropriate. Do you have any studies that would suggest being "overweight" at 20% fat has higher health risks? Because I'm finding that hard to believe.

You would have higher health risks compared to yourself at the same body fat and lower BMI, not compared to the population at large. Elite athletes, for example, have generally lower mortality rate than the general population, but endurance athletes score best in that regard and athletes over 30 BMI score worst.

I guess I'd need to see research on health risks from carrying additional muscle. I honestly don't buy it.

The risk is not for carrying additional muscle and honestly that applies only to a small % of outliers. Same with the short and the tall. The BMI does not generally apply to elite athletes but how many of us fit into that category really?? ;)

The example is a person with 20% fat and normal BMI vs over the BMI, due to added muscle.

• hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am using my BMI and waist size to get to a healthier weight. When I hit that 175 and waist smaller than 36 inches then I will re look and decide where I should be from there. 40 more pounds to go and 9 inches! I am down almost 16 pounds and 5 inches and the 18 will be month 2 complete.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    BMI is a calculated number with factors only for weight and height; BMI = Weight (kg) / (Height (m))2. So, if you're not still growing and you're not shrinking, changes in your actual weight give you just as much information as do changes in your BMI. Better indicators of how you're doing with weight loss and fitness include body measurements, how well your clothes fit (or don't fit as you get smaller), body fat percentage, and even changes in how you feel. BMI charts don't consider factors like body type, bone structure, and muscle mass...just weight and height.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

The example is a person with 20% fat and normal BMI vs over the BMI, due to added muscle.

Understood. And I would say that person does not have higher risk based on their BMI. They are an outlier.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Yes I follow BMI guidelines and I weight train regularly. But from what I've learned of the stats of professional female physique athletes most of them fall in normal BMI ranges. And I know for a fact I will never reach that level. So it can't automatically be scrapped because you pick up a weight.

This is exactly my thought as well.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly the original pioneers of BMI developed purely as a tool for measuring large populations and never intended such a blunt instrument to be applied to the analysis of individuals.

It's a very basic formula so I'd expect it to be inaccurate at one or both ends of the bell-curve if not throughout the whole thing.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I personally do because I look/feel better pretty much exactly in the middle of the range but its not a one-size-fits-all formula. My husband is the same height as me and very muscular so there is no way in hell he would ever be less than "overweight" even with a low body fat %. I agree with the other people who mentioned tracking body fat %. If you are comfortable where you are now, I dont think 1lb is going to increase health risks a whole lot ;)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yes I follow BMI guidelines and I weight train regularly. But from what I've learned of the stats of professional female physique athletes most of them fall in normal BMI ranges. And I know for a fact I will never reach that level. So it can't automatically be scrapped because you pick up a weight.

This is exactly my thought as well.

Agreed. I am always confused when women say BMI doesn't apply to them because have "above average" muscle mass. I've been lifting weights for a little over four years now and my BMI is 20.4.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I do being over-muscled enough to be an outlier is not as good as being well-muscled within a normal weight. Now, I'm not saying being under-muscled is a good thing, in fact I believe it's much worse even if body fat is not high. My opinion is built on research on bodybuilders (which is sadly confounded by performance enhancing drugs), and by heavier elite athletes having on average the lowest survival rate among athletes. Sprinters, for example, are heavier but a lot of that weight is muscle, yet their life expectancy is on average lower than athletes whose sport requires a lower weight.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had a biology professor who said the bmi charts are pretty inaccurate. There's so many things it doesn't take into account.

I don't follow it. I'm 4'11 and should be around 100lbs. I will never be around 100lbs and that's fine with me. Hopefully one day I'll get to 130-135 and I'll be happy. I also do a lot of strength training so at 100lbs I'd just be skin and bones.

I rather go with body fat percentages than BMI
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ditto.

Frankly, if you are overweight or obese, you may not want to admit it but you already know it, based on your appearance, your clothes and the scale. Mirrors, photos, clothes that don't fit and scales don't lie.

I certainly knew it when I was 196# and "overweight" and borderline obese with a BMI of 29.8. In that case, the BMI was extremely accurate for me.

However, now that I weigh 160# with a BF of 10.9% (as most recently measured hydrostatically), BMI now may not be as accurate for me.

At this weight my BMI is 24.3, barely normal despite a BF level of 10.9% and, if I gain just 5#, my BMI would be 25.1 and classified as overweight, if all of the additional weight was fat, even though my BF% would still be below 15%.

So, while I take note of my BMI, I consider my BF level and my blood test results as more relevant indicators and predictors of my health status.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I had a biology professor who said the bmi charts are pretty inaccurate. There's so many things it doesn't take into account.

I don't follow it. I'm 4'11 and should be around 100lbs. I will never be around 100lbs and that's fine with me. Hopefully one day I'll get to 130-135 and I'll be happy. I also do a lot of strength training so at 100lbs I'd just be skin and bones.

I'm 4'11 and around 100 pounds. Was happy with 110 which is around the middle of BMI range, but continued to lose when finding maintenance calories. I am not skin and bone but just a bit too skinny for my liking. No way would I want to get back up to 130 pounds though.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Again, as a female, you'd have to be an extreme outlier, even with strength training, not to fall within the healthy BMI range at a healthy bodyfat percentage. Even professional builders who have been at it for decades usually still fall within the healthy BMI range because female. If you want to maintain a higher weight that's totally fine and a personal choice, it doesn't change what's physiologically possible for women.
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I'm 4'11 and around 100 pounds. Was happy with 110 which is around the middle of BMI range, but continued to lose when finding maintenance calories. I am not skin and bone but just a bit too skinny for my liking. No way would I want to get back up to 130 pounds though.

I did not mean it is physically impossible to be 100lbs. Just that I will never be 100lbs because I would never aim for that weight. Regardless if my bmi says that's the weight I should be.

At 154lbs I had 32% body fat. Had a baby recently so I'm sure it's a bit higher now. But I am not that far off from an acceptable body fat percentage. And I don't need to lose 50lbs to get to that acceptable range of body fat %. So for me, I go off of that and not BMI.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 25.1 so you are right on the cusp and only a pound over so I don't think it's a big problem. I think waist to hip ratio or making sure your waist circumference is less than half your height in inches is a good measure also. If your profile picture is you, you certainly don't look overweight and probably have a smaller waist than me and I'm a BMI of 22.4.

Basically they are all guidelines, being a pound outside of the BMI guidline if you're well within other guidelines shouldn't be a problem. I put my weight on my stomach so it wasn't until I had a BMI of under 24 that my waist was a healthy circumference. x