I'm deciding to end my Vegan journey after 1 year.

Lavelle1980
Lavelle1980 Posts: 374 Member
So after a year of going strong with plant based, trying raw, high carb-low fat/protein, and other strategies, I have decided to add Fish into my diet. I noticed that I do not process grains very well and I believe it's the reason for my Chronic Fatigue. Most of the foods causes bloating, and it's a back and forth trying to find the right foods. Yes I still believe it's the healthiest lifestyle, but my body is not accepting it as I like.

I've read and heard several testimonials of high energy and this is something that I Just don't get. I want to be as natural as possible, but B12 is not found in any plants or foods, unless it's fortified. So it makes me think, about how our ancestors really managed. Fish will only make up about 10% of my protein and the rest is plant based.

I have read tons of books and researched everything possible so, nothing is new to me. I just came to the conclusion that our bodies are jacked up from centuries over time.

Any thoughts.
«13

Replies

  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Enjoy!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,563 Member
    Keep experimenting until you find what's best for you. I am sure a lot of our ancestors ate plenty of meat and eggs. And let's not forget until recent times our ancestors didn't necessarily live long lives either.... I say do what's good for you keep experimenting till you find the right eating plan.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I think most of the ocean is a garbage dump and too much fish is dangerous these days.

    Isn’t there b12 in brewers yeast? I thought I read that once, could be wrong.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2017
    I could never go vegan because all protein plant food and many grains severely impact my Crohn's. For some people it helps, just not for us!That's cool that you were willing to try it, and I hope you find what works for you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,755 Member
    Bloating, poor digestion and a lack of energy doesn't sound like a healthy lifestyle to me. I would recommend doing more research in to diets that incorporate a wider variety of foods
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Lavelle, I hardly post (as you can see) in the forum, but as a vegan I would think it a shame for you to giving up a plant based lifestyle (no judging though)
    Have you checked your vitamin d? is your b12 low? B12 is just something you'll have to supplement, it is not bad to do so. And don't forget that even omnivores and vegetarians can have a b12 deficiency.
    If you have any questions you can message me or I can point you in the direction of some awesome groups.

    I hope you'll find whatever works best for you.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Look in the mirror and smile and you'll see two reasons why you should not be vegetarian

    1). Your eyes are in the front of your head. You're a hunter. Plant eating animals have eyes on the side of their heads.

    2). You have canine teeth. Used to bite and tear meat, not plants .



    Monkeys have canines and front eyes and they don't eat meat. Do they?

    Just whatever bugs they scritch out of their buttholes.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,459 Member
    chrissi_k wrote: »
    Lavelle, I hardly post (as you can see) in the forum, but as a vegan I would think it a shame for you to giving up a plant based lifestyle (no judging though)
    Have you checked your vitamin d? is your b12 low? B12 is just something you'll have to supplement, it is not bad to do so. And don't forget that even omnivores and vegetarians can have a b12 deficiency.
    If you have any questions you can message me or I can point you in the direction of some awesome groups.

    I hope you'll find whatever works best for you.


    Why embrace a diet that requires supplements to be considered healthy or worthwhile?

    It's really pretty easy.

    Eat / Live Clean
    Train Hard
    Manage Stress
    Sleep Well



  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I think most of the ocean is a garbage dump and too much fish is dangerous these days.

    Isn’t there b12 in brewers yeast? I thought I read that once, could be wrong.

    Brewer's yeast (and nutritional yeast) only have B12 if they are fortified with it. There are no plant sources of B12, so supplementing (or eating fortified foods) is essential for vegans.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,459 Member

    Being tired all of the time must wear on you...I would want a really REALLY good philosophical reason to make myself be tired all of the time if you suspect diet is the culprit.


    a philosophical reason to justify a diet?

    gotta love 1st world issues, right?
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 374 Member
    chrissi_k wrote: »
    Lavelle, I hardly post (as you can see) in the forum, but as a vegan I would think it a shame for you to giving up a plant based lifestyle (no judging though)
    Have you checked your vitamin d? is your b12 low? B12 is just something you'll have to supplement, it is not bad to do so. And don't forget that even omnivores and vegetarians can have a b12 deficiency.
    If you have any questions you can message me or I can point you in the direction of some awesome groups.

    I hope you'll find whatever works best for you.

    Trust me, I understand that I will upset most vegans. I do supplement with Jarrow B12, also their multi b complex and Garden of Eden Raw multi vitamin (added multi vitamin 2 weeks to see if any improvement)... None helped, and I felt miserable with brain fog. Then I'm thinking. If our ancestors couldn't get B12 from plants then they had to obviously get it from fish or meat. However, they didn't eat meat at a high consumption as we do today. I also understand the ethical reasons as well. I loved the grains but hate the feeling it gave me.

  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,459 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Look in the mirror and smile and you'll see two reasons why you should not be vegetarian

    1). Your eyes are in the front of your head. You're a hunter. Plant eating animals have eyes on the side of their heads.

    2). You have canine teeth. Used to bite and tear meat, not plants .



    Monkeys have canines and front eyes and they don't eat meat. Do they?

    Just whatever bugs they scritch out of their buttholes.
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Look in the mirror and smile and you'll see two reasons why you should not be vegetarian

    1). Your eyes are in the front of your head. You're a hunter. Plant eating animals have eyes on the side of their heads.

    2). You have canine teeth. Used to bite and tear meat, not plants .



    Monkeys have canines and front eyes and they don't eat meat. Do they?

    Just whatever bugs they scritch out of their buttholes.

    Forgot about *kitten* bugs...you'd think the side eyes would make that venture easier

    [ but your Buttholes is ok


    well now......