Absolutely Discouraged - Venting

Options
I thought my weight loss was going well (I have lost 40 lbs so far). This weekend was Thanksgiving (Canada) and I decided that I would eat a little more (but not overdo it). My FIL commented (on more than one occasion) that I was eating in excess (I ate about 1600 cals. a day). He also told me that I would NEVER get that bikini body back. I SWAIR I feel like I should eat 600 cals. a day now. I have always struggled with eating disorders (too little or excess), and now those self deprecating feelings are back. I'm NEVER eating in his presence again. I don't care if I STARVE!

Replies

• Kerriann1083
    Kerriann1083 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand where your coming from... I do everything to the extreme... Especially dieting or overeating... But don't give up... You can do it..
  • rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are beautiful. Second of all, he's old (or oldish) with no filter. I do know exactly how you feel, though. My MIL once bought me a 4X dress (I was about a 14/16 at the time) because she was a size 6 and "didn't know the difference" between the sizes in the women's section. We know that the thought of eating or not eating for revenge is so ridiculous but it's so hard to be rational when someone hurts us! Hang in there.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My MIL once bought me a 4X dress (I was about a 14/16 at the time) because she was a size 6 and "didn't know the difference" between the sizes in the women's section.

OMG!

I would have punched her if I were you.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I thought my weight loss was going well (I have lost 40 lbs so far). This weekend was Thanksgiving (Canada) and I decided that I would eat a little more (but not overdo it). !

Your weight loss is going well and, not only that, your attitude to eating is going well too. Don't give your FIL the power to change that. You and all the effort you have put in are worth far more than that.

I can understand your need to vent, though. His comments were waaaay out of line...was he drunk or something?!
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try and let his words bounce off you. I know its hard to do. My mothers words caused me to have an eating disorder in highschool. Now her words don't bother me anymore. I just say whatever and i don't care. I know who i am and thats all that matters. Just do what you are doing. He doesn't know you. Don't let him get to you. You are beautiful.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    He’s a jerk. I’d tell him your weight nor what you eat is up for discussion
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Youre doing great!! People who havent been through it just dont get it! Let the ignorance go.in one ear and out the other side. You look great! Keep it up!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Don't give him power over you.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Who the heck are these people that think making such comments are ok? I was always taught if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Geez.

Ignore the jerk and prove him wrong. You can and will do this!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%. Your FIL commenting on your "bikini body" is very creepy. Even creepier if he wasn't drinking.

I've been maintaining a long time. I very rarely discuss weight loss with anyone. Just leads to nonsense like you're talking about.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I dunno, seems a bit overstepping for a Father in Law? I would just call him on it, let him know it's your body, you'll eat what you want, when you want, and it's none of his business whether you get into your "bikini body" again or not. You are not married to him you're married to his child, and even then it would be unacceptable for the child to speak to you that way. Anything other than encouragement is unacceptable.