Hit new low then back again?

Options
Hey-
How do you deal with this? Or am I doing something wrong -
I hit a low for me yesterday of 152.6 - haven’t seen that number in 6 years. Today right back to 153.8. I am aware that water fluctuations are involved, but looking for advice: when you hit a new low or a goal weight, what do you do to ensure you will see a similar number the next morning?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's well within the bounds of normal weight fluctuations. Stick with your plan and focus on the long term.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    megbrewerr wrote: »
    Hey-
    I hit a low for me yesterday of 152.6 - haven’t seen that number in 6 years. Today right back to 153.8. I am aware that water fluctuations are involved, but looking for advice: when you hit a new low or a goal weight, what do you do to ensure you will see a similar number the next morning?

Don't consume anything until next morning. I don't recommend doing this but this is just about the only way you can ensure your weight won't go up.

Nothing else can be done. Why do you want to see the same number? You are a living organism, weight goes up and down. Your body has been doing this your entire life. You just weren't aware of it.

Edit: Weight is not equal to fat. Your body is made of water. It needs water to function. It retains as much as it needs to balace your bodily functions.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    megbrewerr wrote: »
    Hey-

Nothing. Water weight fluctuations will happen every day for the rest of your life. It's how your body works. You will never be one weight, most people fluctuate up or down at least 5 lbs or so.

If I see the same weight 2 days in a row, I assume my scale needs new batteries!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    perfectly normal. I usually gain after reaching a new low. A week later I reach another new low. At maintenance this number bounces around as much as 5 lbs during the week. I wouldn't panic unless the number trends upward.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal. There is nothing you can do to “ensure” that you don’t have fluctuations.

What you can do, is use a weight trend app (Happy Scale for iPhone or Libra for android) so that you don’t get so freaked by fluctuations, and instead can focus on the overall downward trend. It has helped me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It doesn't work that way.

Just stay on a healthy course, relax, be patient, and you'll see that low weight again. If you're on a losing trend (calorie deficit) overall, you'll eventually see an even lower weight.

Two years ago, I lost over 50 pounds - around a third of my bodyweight - and have stayed at a healthy weight since. Throughout, my weight trend app's graph of my daily weigh-ins is all spiky like a heart rhythym EKG, but irregular. While losing, all the spikes were above and below a downhill slope. Now they're above and below a horizontal line. That's how it works.

Stress and compulsion burn no calories. They can even be counterproductive.
    Instead, understand the weight loss process - daily up and down spikes in weight, with an overall downward trend over weeks and months - and relax. You'll be fine.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It could be something as simple as amount of food from the day before that you haven't eliminated yet. As gross as that sounds!
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There is no guarantee I will see my new low tomorrow. With hormones and weight fluctuations from day to day I use a weight trending app daily so I don't drive myself nuts. I've also learned to me I'm more concerned with my measurements because sometime that darn scale doesn't move!
  • megbrewerr
    megbrewerr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The worst thing is I KNOW the answers to these questions but just needing like-minded people to calm me down. Thank you for telling me what I'm doing is okay - sometimes I need reassurance