Lean Cuisine

Options
mynika
mynika Posts: 312 Member
I just wanted to see if the Lean Cuisines are ok? I know that they are high in Sodium, but I don't ever add much salt to my food. They are inexpensive for the days that I don't have time to pack a lunch, and green beans from a can sometimes can get a little old. What do you think?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    There is more then just salt in those things. They are Processed and still full of chemicals
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I eat them at work sometimes because they are cheap, easy and something I have time to prepare.

Most of them are pretty good nutrition wise but just high in sodium but that's not a big deal for most people.
  • lisamerida
    lisamerida Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • roseheart79
    roseheart79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the Healthy Choice and the Smartones. But they are full of sodium and several chemicals and additives. I dont really use them anymore. Maybe once a month, but I get the pizza one only. Seems better than rest. Sorry its hard especially when you bring your lunch as do I too.
    I have grilled chicken with green beans, or a salad and put hard boiled egg in it. But I always try to do a protein and veggie.
  • cece62002
    Options
    I eat them sometimes. I think everyone's body is different. What works for one person may not work for you. I like to make homemade meals but sometimes for work I just grab that. I do watch the sodium and I have managed to lose weight eating these sometimes. Of course I think working out helps me too!

Just see what works for you! If you balance your meals out and don't eat them daily I think you will be ok.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat them:

LANCHED ENRICHED LONG GRAIN PARBOILED RICE (WATER, RICE, IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID), CHICKEN ENCHILADA (CORN TORTILLA (CORN MASA {CORN FLOUR, CELLULOSE GUM, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, TRACE OF LIME}, WATER), COOKED CHICKEN MEAT (CHICKEN, CARRAGEENAN), TOMATOES (TOMATOES, TOMATO JUICE, SALT, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, CITRIC ACID), ONIONS, WATER, GREEN CHILES (GREEN CHILES, CITRIC ACID, SALT, CALCIUM CHLORIDE), MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, GARLIC POWDER, JALAPENO PEPPERS (JALAPENO PEPPERS, WATER, SALT, ACETIC ACID, CALCIUM CHLORIDE), PAPRIKA, SPICES, SALT, CILANTRO), WATER, SKIM MILK, ONIONS, CORN, RED PEPPERS, 2% OR LESS OF BUTTERMILK POWDER, GREEN CHILES AND CITRIC ACID, CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO), APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, DEHYDRATED SOUR CREAM (SOUR CREAM (CULTURED CREAM, NONFAT MILK)), MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, GARLIC PUREE, BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, CILANTRO, SALT, SPICES, JALAPENO PUREE (JALAPENO PEPPERS, SALT, ACETIC ACID AND CALCIUM CHLORIDE), SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, YEAST EXTRACT, CHICKEN FAT, LIME JUICE CONCENTRATE, SEASONING (CORN MALTODEXTRIN, MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NATURAL FLAVORS), SEASONING (WHEAT STARCH, EXTRACTS OF ANNATTO AND TURMERIC COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR), DEHYDRATED ONIONS.

Mmm, dehydrated cheddar cheese and medium chain triglycerides! I cook with those all the time ;)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Actually, I don't think they're that high in salt when compared to other microwave meals or going out. Canned soup seems to be the worst when it comes to salt.

Try the Healthy Choice meals. 480mg of sodium (20%). I also like those Steamer Bowls.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think they have less sodium than other frozen meals. Of course, eating whole foods, and not processed, is better for you, but if your choice is between a Lean Cuisine or fast food, then Lean Cuisine is likely the better choice for both your waist and your wallet. :)
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 lean cuisines a week. Just because its easy at work and cheap.

Yes, they are heavily processed and contain a lot of sodium. But I will take the trade-offs compared to going to Mcdonalds or some other fast food. The sodium is high but not really any worse than other processed frozen foods or eating out for that matter.

I prefer to pack fresh lunches like salads and fresh fruits and veggies and an occasional sandwich. But sometimes a Lean Cuisine is the best alternative to other available choices so I don't mind an occasional one.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like them. The meat grosses me out, the texture, everything.

They are full of chemicals... I actually cook a bunch all at once at home and just put them in my own containers to freeze. Tastes real and it's healthy! :D
  • angimarie
    Options
    I personally love them and eat them about twice a week. They are quick, affordable, and decently good (:
  • thomasdyre
    thomasdyre Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat them for lunch when I need a fast lunch. They are cheap, and better than fast food. The sodium is higher.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    try the kashi frozen entrees instead.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i would lean toward the healthy choice naturals dinners instead. they are delicious. around 300 calories. filling. and the ingredients label is not scary at all. they do contain about 25% of your daily sodium but that isn't so bad if you are watchful elsewhere.

my favorite is the pumpkin squash ravioli. toss in a bit of grilled chicken or fish and you are set. the ingredients are:

Cooked Pumpkin Ravioli Pasta (Water, Wheat Semolina, Pumpkin, Ricotta Cheese [Wheat, Milk, Cream, Vinegar, Salt, Carrageenan], Brown Sugar, Bread Crumbs [Wheat Flour, Sugar, Yeast, Salt], Salt, Molasses, Honey, Spices, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Iron, Folic Acid), Water, Asparagus, Butternut Squash, Apples, Salted Chablis Wine, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cream, Corn Starch, Olive Oil, Carrot, Celery And Onions, Evaporated Cane Juice, Tomato Paste, Garlic, Salt, Spices, Yeast Extract, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Natural Flavoring. Contains: Wheat, Milk.

the only not readily identifiable ingredient is carrgeenan which is an extract from red seaweed that acts sort of like a gelatin.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Kashi frozen meals are delicious - my favorite is the Mayan Harvest Bake.

I can't remember who it was, perhaps it was Dr. Oz, but when it comes to frozen meals it's recommended that you follow the 2-4-8 rule: at least 20g of protein, less than 400 calories, less than 800mg of sodium.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat them pretty often for lunch.. yes, they have processed ingredients but given the choice of how many day old cafeteria food vs a portion controlled, reasonably tasty frozen meal - I will go with the latter everytime. If you are looking for frozen alternatives that are less processed, you could check out Amy's or Michael Angelos .. bottom line, do what works for you..
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Agreed about the Kashi meals!! I love them but try not to have them more than two or three times/month.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat them because they taste like $h!t
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Wow - we certainly have a broad range of opinions, don't we? :laugh:

I guess that is just an indicator of how different people are, and there is nothing wrong with that. Personally, I am of the ''moderation" school of thought . I always keep a few in my freezer and they are a lifesaver on days when I don't have fresh ingredients for lunches, or don't have time to do more than grab one out of the freezer. I guess I eat a lot of foods with "chemicals", and although I continually try to eat healthier, more nutritious food, I am never going to be a organic fruit, wheat germ and tofu kind of person (or whatever). I actually find some of the Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones and Healthy Choices are pretty tasty.

It's all relative - if your habits were atrocious before, any improvement is good. You also have to find what works for YOU, and if that's quick and easy (and cheap), it ain't gonna kill ya, that's for sure. :noway: