Lunch Packing Ideas

Options
I pack my lunch for work and can never think of what to pack anymore! I'm tired of boring stuff like sandwiches. Any suggestions for quick, easy, and CHEAP ideas?

Replies

• JeanWalker109
    Options
    A lot of times you can find great, healthy microwaveable meals on sale (3/$5, etc.). Also, what about leftovers from a healthy dinner, or a homemade salad? Even different types of sandwiches with different sides can be a great idea.

I hope you find something you like.

*smiles*

Jean
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Mine are mostly left overs. Yesterday was a big salad with left over steak, today is spaghetti and meat sauce with french bread. Tomorrow is kung pao shrimp. No boring lunches for me! LoL
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i make a lot of "grain salads" like pasta salad, couscous, taboulleh, quinoa with black beans, etc. It is cheap and makes alot! If you get sick of the same thing though, it can get a little boring unless you find new ingredients to throw in :)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    so many options..of course there are frozen meals with a side of fruit or veggies just higher in sodium, leftovers are a great idea, grilled chicken is perfect, it can be eaten hot or cold, cut up, as a sandwich, shredded with bbq sauce, in a salad, etc. i frequently use leftovers. Also have you spiced up your sandwiches? use flat out wrap or low cal tortillas instead of bread, use different spreads, hummus or guac, instead of mayo or mustard, eat it in a pita with lots of veggies tucked in, or the bagel or sandwich thins, use different breads like toasted rye, changes the whole taste of the sandwich. also salads-fill them with veggies and some black beans or chickpeas for protein. sometimes my "lunch" isn't really a meal as much as it is a lot of snacks, a black bean and light shredded cheese on a mini tortilla microwaved for 45 seconds or so, thtas really cheap, not enough to fill me though, so also some fruits and or veggies with it.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i struggle with this so much. Usually i take a frozen meal for lack of what else to bring. Though when i can focus, i do come up with things that i like.

Use last nights leftovers (like when i have fajitas or some type of stir fry) in a "wrap". By adding fresh tomato, cucumber, lettuce and some type of sauce (seasoned yogurt or salsa), it changes it up quite a bit!

Add a cup of soup to my sandwich - makes it feel more like a "meal" and less boring.

Sometimes i do cheese with fruit and veggies, nuts, etc, kind of like a healthy appetizer platter. I feel decadant!

I'm the queen of salads because i can have as much leafy green as i want! I might do a crumble of blue cheese and some fruit and a bit of nuts one day, the next i throw in a scoop of beans and some cilantro and add a little bbq sauce to my vinegar/oil.

I love shrimp, whether on salad or on a wrap.

I also like tortillas and pitas, you know, if i have to have a sandwhich, mixing up the bread or making it unique help with the boring!
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This may not be the season for it, but a bowl of healthy turkey chili or a bowl of chicken stew goes a long way! You can make it for dinner and have it for lunch the next day or maybe the next two days. You can have it with a small side sale, a bowl of fruit or something else to offset the warmth of the meal.
  • tttanyah
    tttanyah Posts: 14
    Options
    I just made a batch of hummus in the crockpot after learning it freezes well. I'm putting it in ice cube trays for a pre-portioned, easy-to-grab snack.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I like a cup of soup (homemade) or left overs from last night's dinner. Plus some fruit or veggies and a good book!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Just made some couscous with rasins, peppers, onions. I served it for dinner with mackrel but put plenty in a tub (without the mackrel) for lunch. Pop it in some pitta bread with some lettuce, or eat it out of the food tub as it is. You can mix any leftover chicken, fruit etc in it from each day. Lasts a coupel of days that way.

"I just made a batch of hummus in the crockpot after learning it freezes well. I'm putting it in ice cube trays for a pre-portioned, easy-to-grab snack. "

Tanyah, this sounds interesting, do you have a recipe/times for the crockpot at all? I've only ever used mine for stews and such.
  • tttanyah
    tttanyah Posts: 14
    Options
    Just made some couscous with rasins, peppers, onions. I served it for dinner with mackrel but put plenty in a tub (without the mackrel) for lunch. Pop it in some pitta bread with some lettuce, or eat it out of the food tub as it is. You can mix any leftover chicken, fruit etc in it from each day. Lasts a coupel of days that way.

"I just made a batch of hummus in the crockpot after learning it freezes well. I'm putting it in ice cube trays for a pre-portioned, easy-to-grab snack. "

Tanyah, this sounds interesting, do you have a recipe/times for the crockpot at all? I've only ever used mine for stews and such.

This is the one I used. It's sesame (tahini) free so I can use it for school snacks for the kids, too: http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/slow-cooker-hummus-recipe-and-tips-on.html
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers. I always cook big batches of food so we have plenty of leftovers.

When I don't have leftovers, I fall back on seasoned black beans and rice with a side of veggies, or cheese and crackers with celery, or a can of vegetable soup if I'm in a pinch.

I keep canned soup, oatmeal, and whole wheat crackers at my office so I don't go for fast food if I forget my lunch or don't have anything planned.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options

This is the one I used. It's sesame (tahini) free so I can use it for school snacks for the kids, too: http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/slow-cooker-hummus-recipe-and-tips-on.html

Thanks Tanya, will give it a try!
  • stephijim
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!!! Sometimes I get in a creativity rut! I make a lot of whole grain pasta that I heat up. I ate it too much and now it's time to move on. I should experiment with the wraps. I LOVE soup! I'll have to try to make big batches and freeze them in easy to pack portions. Thanks!!!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can make some lovely cold salads with quinoa-filling and high protein.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I make my own yogurt parfaits. 1/2 cup of yogurt (I like tilimook vanilla bean), 1/4 cup granola, 1/4 (or 1/2) cup of some sort of fruit. Today its strawberries. It keeps me pretty full till my afternoon snack!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I
    I keep canned soup, oatmeal, and whole wheat crackers at my office so I don't go for fast food if I forget my lunch or don't have anything planned.

I do that too!!