3 day per week workout

Options
Hi all,

I have been on this site for a number of years now, fallen of the wagon a few times, but also had some good successes. Now unfortunately a little weight is creeping back on, so decided to get back on the wagon.
My main exercise has always come from running, but have now started to go to the gym as well, and was after opinions on this 3 day a week workout in the gym, to compliment my running of around 30k per week.
So would appreciate all thoughts on the below I have been doing, considering only want to spend approximately 45-60 mins in the gym 3 days per week.

1000 metres on concept rower
Chest Press 3x12
Incline Chest Press 3x12
Shoulder Press 3x12
Lat Pulldown 3x12
Seated Cable Row 3x12
Dumbbell Squats 3x12
Bicep Curls 3x12
Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions 3x12
Another 1000 metres on concept rower

Thanks, this site has always been a great source of information.

By the way, not sure if it matters, but turn 50 in a few months sadly!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Any reason you decided to pick a 3x12 for all your lifts? Not criticizing, just wondering.

You'll definitely want to add some more lower body work. All I see are dumbbell squats which probably won't cut it.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into strong lifts 5x5?
  • David___D
    David___D Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @MrsBeccaM5, thanks never heard of that one, just downloaded the app, will give it a go. Have you had success with it?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of programmes you could follow. Have a read through this thread and choose a programme that meets your goals.
    3x 12 has you leaning towards hypertrophy, 5x5 is strength.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.

50 is still young in my eyes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    In all of that there's just squats? I'd use an established full body programme if I was you.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been on this site for a number of years now, fallen of the wagon a few times, but also had some good successes. Now unfortunately a little weight is creeping back on, so decided to get back on the wagon.
    My main exercise has always come from running, but have now started to go to the gym as well, and was after opinions on this 3 day a week workout in the gym, to compliment my running of around 30k per week.
    So would appreciate all thoughts on the below I have been doing, considering only want to spend approximately 45-60 mins in the gym 3 days per week.

1000 metres on concept rower
    Chest Press 3x12
    Incline Chest Press 3x12
    Shoulder Press 3x12
    Lat Pulldown 3x12
    Seated Cable Row 3x12
    Dumbbell Squats 3x12
    Bicep Curls 3x12
    Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions 3x12
    Another 1000 metres on concept rower

Thanks, this site has always been a great source of information.

Can't help with the weights bit but the bolded part made me sad. Please don't be sad you are turning 50, celebrate and be grateful. Many aren't so lucky to make it that far...
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I'm no expert.

With those 2 caveats out the way, I'll offer you my thoughts and experience...

I go nuts doing the same thing day after day. I also only get 30 mins in the gym each day. I love to measure my progress in anything.

For all those reasons I made myself a 4 week program of a different workout each day, which I track so I can see if I'm improving each 4-week cycle.

I think rowing is a fantastic all-over body exercise, and I see you've including some in your proposed workout.

I'd suggest doing some HIIT rowing in a gym session every now and again - something like:-

8 x 100m row as fast as you can, with 10 seconds off in between each go. That'll take up as much time as your 1000m row warm-up.

I'd also possibly consider some more compound exercises instead of the isolated movements like bicep curls. - Maybe you could sub them out and replace them with pull-ups or chin-ups. Same goes for tricep extensions - you could replace them with dips for example.

Just some ideas for you to consider and look into perhaps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In general it's better to pick a routine rather than design your own. But that's complicated for you by having a running commitment too. (I'm a cyclist and in summer I do very little leg work in the gym - my legs are either being "abused" on the bike or recovering....)
    But think you would do better to take an established program and modify it (if required) rather than start from scratch.

Also in general it's best to focus on compound lifts rather than do a load of isolation lifts which are very inefficient (especially on a 3 day routine).

Third and last (!) generalisation - suggest you build strength before going for hypertrophy.

Why 3 x 12?

I can see why you might want to do a quick rowing warmup (I prefer warmup sets myself but that's just my preference). Can't see what benefits you get from doing another row after your weights TBH, seems a bit of a waste of valuable gym time.
    Time to give up on exercise then, maybe a nice little stroll to the library might be appropriate instead of hitting the gym.... ;)

BTW - I'm 57. Age does have some bearing on rates of recovery and progress but it shouldn't have any bearing on the ambition to make the best version of you possible.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    @MrsBeccaM5, thanks never heard of that one, just downloaded the app, will give it a go. Have you had success with it?

Yeah, it's a good program. I did it for 8 weeks, the only reason I stopped was because I wanted to change to a 4 day split. I did make strength gains, which was my goal!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of pre-exhausting yourself with cardio prior to lifting. Do some rolling and stretching and warm up sets before you lift and do the rowing last. I've been lifting for years and I have never once done cardio prior to lifting.
    sijomial wrote: »
    In general it's better to pick a routine rather than design your own.

Agree 100% with this.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're running 30k a week you might want to think about adding dedicated core exercises. The rower will help a bit but it's something to consider. It'll help tremendously with your running.
  • David___D
    David___D Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much good advice, thank you.
    To add a few comments to my original post:

Why 3x12...no particular reason, just thought was best so happy to take any alternative advice.

I do not want to particularly get bigger and stronger, just a whole lot leaner, currently around 25% body fat, but guessing the added strength will just be natural.

Finally the "sadly" after the age thing was just lighthearted, I added my age to see what difference it makes to training.

Anyway thanks again for all the advice, that's why I have been on this site for so long, and still follow.

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a good program. I did it for 8 weeks, the only reason I stopped was because I wanted to change to a 4 day split. I did make strength gains, which was my goal!

I also opted for a split..but I still do 5x5 for my squats and deadlifts once a week for strength purposes.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    BNY721 wrote: »
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

I also opted for a split..but I still do 5x5 for my squats and deadlifts once a week for strength purposes.

Me too! Also the OHP and BP
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ^^ I need to incorporate OHP back in. I'm not moving up in weight at all. I don't know why I excluded it in the first place! Nice job!

OP - It's a great program to look into. So hope you enjoy the program and gain some success!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The routine is too busy and involves too many isolation lifts for me.

Stronglifts (5x5) or Starting Strength (3x5) doing just DLs, SQTs, BPs and OHPs (really no need for Rows or Powercleans but do them if you like) plus pushups, pullups & dips (PPD) on alternate days is all you need to do for "lifting."

Add one 30 min (or two 15 min sessions) on off days w/PPD and that's alI you really need to do.

At least that's all I needed to do to drop 38# and increase my strength to the advanced and elite levels for me my wt and age (67 & 158#).
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually do x8 lifts of something I find quite heavy, then gradually increase reps till I get to 15, then up the weight and drop the reps again. Or do pyramid sets. Sometimes I do high volume on a lighter weight including barbell complexes which are a killer! My trainer based what he taught me on something called German Body Composition..I have read about it but I don't really understand most of it lol.