Are nuts good for weight loss?

Options
Tariq_1997
Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My question is simple,
Are walnuts and cashews good for the body if i'm on a strict diet and losing weight?
I had like 30 grams of walnuts and like 40 grams of salted cashews so it's more than 30 grams of fat

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes because I managed to lose weight while eating cashews, almonds and walnuts on a regular basis. However, as they are calorie dense I made sure I limited them to a small handful and weighed every single one eaten. They are too easy to overeat though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You need dietary fat. Unsaturated fat is recommended over saturated. Nuts are a good source of unsaturated fats.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Walnuts are an excellent Source of fibre, protein and Omega 3.
    And yes, hugely Caloric Dense.
    So eat only 30gm portion at the maximum as a snack.
    As part of a healthy nutritious diet, nuts can be enjoyed, like any other food.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    sure!, if its just a handful

do you have any idea how many calories could be in a "handful" of nuts??

See post above yours for the answer.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruits are go-tos if I’m looking 100-150 low on my calories, but they are definite very carefully measured. A single portion of cashews or dried apricots looks tiny, but I find to be massively filling once I get my brain out of volume-eating mode.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    30 grams of walnuts is pathetic looking and 200 calories gone in a few bites. 40 grams of cashews is 200+ calories. If you have room in your diet for 400-500 calories of nothing but nuts it's up to you, but personally that amount leaves me wanting, and at the end of the day I don't feel like I had enough nuts to be happy yet I'm 500 calories short.

Are they good for weight loss? Depends, do they help you not eat too much? Then yes. Do they make dieting harder? Then no.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Only if you weight them and make sure that they are really 30 or 40g - meaning pre-defined portion or use of a scale.

Eating them in quantities is not a free pass to weight loss...
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    30 grams of walnuts is pathetic looking and 200 calories gone in a few bites. 40 grams of cashews is 200+ calories. If you have room in your diet for 400-500 calories of nothing but nuts it's up to you, but personally that amount leaves me wanting, and at the end of the day I don't feel like I had enough nuts to be happy yet I'm 500 calories short.

Are they good for weight loss? Depends, do they help you not eat too much? Then yes. Do they make dieting harder? Then no.

But 10 grams of walnuts added to your breakfast or 10 grams of cashews added to a piece of fruit with greek yogurt adds a nice bit of texture and makes the meal more filling.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yes. And also no. For all the reasons listed above. Any food in moderation that fits your goals is good for weight loss.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Raw nuts are generally a decent snack choice but they are calorie dense.

Raw nuts often suffer from the 'olive oil' effect in people's minds. Many people think of them as 'vitamins' that should be eaten regardless of the calorie load because of their health benefits. This simply isn't true. Don't eat them if you wouldn't eat anything otherwise but if you want a snack you could do worse than to eat nuts.

Also, try to eat raw nuts instead of roasted if you can. Depending on how they're processed, roasted nuts will sometimes lose some of the health benefits of raw.
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've lot 60 lbs in the last year with a lower carb diet, which consisted of 1-2 serving of nuts per day. You just have to work the calories into your food plan. Unless you have medical issue that requires you to restrict fat intake, I wouldn't worry about the fat in nuts at all.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Raw, unsalted almonds are one of my favorite snacks to carry in my car and purse in case I get stuck somewhere without food. 1 ounce at 160 calories is filling (for me) enough to get me through a couple hours until I can eat. I'm careful to pre-portion, though!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use them more to garnish than eat plain.