HOT YOGA- yay or nay?

Options
I started taking hot yoga classes, I usually try to go at least once per week maybe twice. They are very expensive classes so for now I only pay per class. However, I am thinking of purchasing a membership. I love the way I feel after. Lot's of stretching and moving from one pose to another. Not bikram, just warm flow classes. I am usually drenched in sweat after. I am aware that the calorie burn is not as much as one would think, as yoga is not very cardiovascular. Being a warm flow class, there is a fair amount of movement in the class.

I train at the gym 3-4 times per week, and try to attend a yoga class once, maybe twice a week.

Since MFT doesn't have hot yoga included in exercises. I am wondering if anyone know approx. how many calories are burned during a warm flow class? I don't have a fitbit or watch to count calories.

Thanks for the input.

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think most estimates are around 500-550 for a 1hr vinyasa flow class. You can use https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc for something more tailored to your individual circumstances.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think most estimates are around 500-550 for a 1hr vinyasa flow class. You can use https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc for something more tailored to your individual circumstances.

Really? I think I get about 270-280 calories for a hour of vinyasa. 500 seems really high. I tried the calculator and it gave me 562 calories. I wouldn't trust that, personally. One of the instances where I'd eat 50% calories back for sure.

Hot or not, calorie burn will be about the same. Unless you can't do as much in the hot class...
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think the estimate is only counting the active time spent flowing, so it's probably quite inflated relative to a typical class.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga for all the reasons you mentioned.
    According to my Garmin I burn anywhere between 120-180 calories in a 1-hour class, depending on the intensity of that hour. It's about the same as I'd get in a regular yoga class.

Point is...yoga is great, but the calorie burn is low.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I think fitbit gave me about 200 calories for an hour class, but really, I love it enough not to care what I'm burning. I do it for its other benefits.
  • charlenegrichard
    charlenegrichard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I enjoy hot yoga for the stretching benefits alone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't bother logging yoga, as it's only 200 calories per hour or so for Astanga

Temperature has no effect.

I'd also observe that anything measured on a fitness tracker is utterly meaningless as there is no reliable way to measure it.