Which scales?

Options
I’d be really grateful for any recommendations, please - I’ve finally decided to buy some scales and I’m wondering if there are any accurate body comp scales out there, or if I should just buy plain old fashioned, reliable, mechanical ones if there’s actually nothing tremendously useful/different in the digital versions apart from their being more compact etc ...?

Replies

• Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I reckon I’ll just get a cheap mechanical one!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Digital scales tend to be more accurate than mechanical. I certainly wouldn't go for an inexpensive mechanical set of scales over an inexpensive digital set. I took my sub digital £20 scales and compared them against a calibrated set in a sports science lab and they were a match.

Omron 4 point (hand & foot sensors) body comp scales gave a reasonable and believable body fat estimation for me. Good enough to see a trend but of course subject to short term variations from things like different hydration levels. Pretty ugly though - model was BF508.

I've also had some simple step on body comp scales and the results were hilarious!
  • Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So perhaps a cheap set of digital...
  • neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought these and they give a 'reasonable' prediction of %BF (I would say about 3-5% [absolute] lower than reality), but with all BIA scales it's best to use them as a long term trend. I weight myself every morning and trend in a spreadsheet / Libra app.... :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FHF9DOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few body comp scales that were all over the place and found them much more frustrating than useful. I like cheap digital scales the just tell me my weight and once a month I measure myself and calculate a general estimation of my body fat. That's just my personal preference though :)

I did splurge and buy a crazy scale that looks like it came directly from a sci-fi movie but I have to wait until April for it to ship to me. So excited! Its really expensive but seems absolutely amazing!!!!! (Google naked scale)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So perhaps a cheap set of digital...

Don't go too cheap. You should be able to find a good one in the $25-$50 USD range. Find a place to put it and don't move it unless you really need to. I like the glass-top ones because there are no crevices for gunk and dust to get in and throw the measurement off.

I have this one, but in black.
    71HkeXilxhL._SX522_.jpg
  • alexandriashelby89
    alexandriashelby89 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few body comp scales that were all over the place and found them much more frustrating than useful. I like cheap digital scales the just tell me my weight and once a month I measure myself and calculate a general estimation of my body fat. That's just my personal preference though :)

I did splurge and buy a crazy scale that looks like it came directly from a sci-fi movie but I have to wait until April for it to ship to me. So excited! Its really expensive but seems absolutely amazing!!!!! (Google naked scale)

Is it this one? https://naked.fit/
    Or something else?