Died and Reborn

Options
My name is Mike and I joined a few days ago. For the first time in my life I'm driven to get my life (diet and exercise) in order for myself and my kids.

Up until a week ago I was fine with things the way they were. Sure I was morbidly obese and my back hurt all the time but life was good. Until, my wife decided to walk out on me and the kids. Rather than falling back on old habits I decide to change my life forever. Since then I've been either going to the gym and using the tread mill or walking with my kids at night. My 16 year old daugther has been amazing through this pushing me to do the right thing. My weight wasn't the reason my wife left but it did contribute to the problems we have. But I am not losing weight to get her back.

I want to lose the weight because I need to be here for my kids and I need them to be proud of me. I never felt fat or was bothered by the stares of others until this last week. I am disgusted with the man I was and this is my chance to be the man I should have been. I have a long road ahead of me but I know I can do it.

Replies

• mgeek40
    Options
    My name is Mike and I joined a few days ago. For the first time in my life I'm driven to get my life (diet and exercise) in order for myself and my kids.

Up until a week ago I was fine with things the way they were. Sure I was morbidly obese and my back hurt all the time but life was good. Until, my wife decided to walk out on me and the kids. Rather than falling back on old habits I decide to change my life forever. Since then I've been either going to the gym and using the tread mill or walking with my kids at night. My 16 year old daugther has been amazing through this pushing me to do the right thing. My weight wasn't the reason my wife left but it did contribute to the problems we have. But I am not losing weight to get her back.

I want to lose the weight because I need to be here for my kids and I need them to be proud of me. I never felt fat or was bothered by the stares of others until this last week. I am disgusted with the man I was and this is my chance to be the man I should have been. I have a long road ahead of me but I know I can do it.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    HI, welcome to MFP! This is a wonderful site and it is really helping me. It sounds like you are off to a great start and the fact your kids are supportive and helping is wonderful. One tip that you will find here that is really important is to drink the water. It really helps! :smile:
  • mgeek40
    Options
    I've come to love water. I don't even crave the cokes that used to be my staple. I could do 5-10 on a weekend day.

Thank you :happy:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    mgeek0 - good for you for coming here to get going on this. You will find that this site is very supportive every moment of the day........save maybe at 11pm California time, but other then that all is good. I am sorry to hear that your life has been so rough, and sorry to hear that your marriage did not work. I am really impressed that you are putting your children first and you really are doing something great here. This place can help you, ask a question and watch what happens.

You are going to do this, you are going to get healthy..........all of us are going to get healthy together.

We are all here for anything you wanna chat about...use the big losers for guidance, they are a wealth of knowledge........

Good luck and hope to see you around often..........

:flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hiya!! Welcome Aboard its addicting here so beware ......:drinker:
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    Welcome Mike:flowerforyou: As was said water is the key and eating right of coarse. You got some great kids and they are great for support. :bigsmile: Good luck on this journery with all of us :blushing:
  • mgeek40
    Options
    Thanks. I saw on one post that a woman comes here instead of snacking so thats that kind of thing I could get addicted too.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to come instead of snacking!!!! You sound very motivated and for the right reasons!! Congratulations on making the choice to love yourself to a healthier life! Every little success will feel so great - just wait and see!:flowerforyou: Welcome to mfp - you'll love it here!
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am just so proud that you are choosing to channel your negative feelings into exercise instead of eating them, good for you! Your strength amazes me! You will do well. Welcome!
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Welcome !!
    It's very inspiring to hear that you have chosen to be the best you can be for yourself and your children.
    Bravo !! You will go a long way with that attitude and create a fabulous life for yourself.
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Welcome and wish you the best. Sorry to hear you're going thru a tough time and glad to hear you're choosing to empower yourself with fitness and health. Do it for you. That's the best reason. Fitness and health. Have you tried a pedometer it's good, logs the number of steps. Good luck and see you on the boards. :happy:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to myfitnesspal. This site is so awesome, motivational, supportive and helpful. You will love it here if you don't already. I so love it here, everyone is so nice. I hope you have good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    So glad you found us! :smile:

Good luck, you have the attitude that succeeds around here! :smile: :drinker: