What are your must-haves (supplements/protein/viatmins/etc)?

Options
natruallycurious
natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone! I am working on filling my PrimePantry box, and I am wondering what things you all would recommend looking in to? What do you find to help properly fuel your body, or aid in muscle growth/repair?

Replies

• mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you need.

For example, I have joint pain and fatigue, so I take gingko (memory/brain fog), glucosamine (joints), turmeric (joints), and a probiotic in addition to some essential oils (Endoflex by Young Living for internal consumption, peppermint for bloating). I also take biotin and B12 after the doctor discovered some hair loss was related to a vitamin deficiency.

If you need help sleeping, melatonin is wonderful, too.

If it's just general well-being, calcium for women is a good one, as well as a reputable daily vitamin tailored to women's needs.

I would ask your doctor before ordering anything, as too much of anything could cause more problems instead of helping.

Here's a link with some common supplements, too: https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/vitamins-and-nutrients-for-women/slide/11
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with MightyMinerva about specific to one's needs. If you're young and healthy you may not need anything. For a postpartum woman who's breastfeeding, I need a daily multi, plus Flax or Fish oil, and occasionally I take a B12
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I agree with MightyMinerva about specific to one's needs. If you're young and healthy you may not need anything. For a postpartum woman who's breastfeeding, I need a daily multi, plus Flax or Fish oil, and occasionally I take a B12

Agreed. As a post-menopausal woman living in the frozen North I need a multi and Vitamin D3. Otherwise healthy and I get enough calcium in my food so I need nothing else.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The macros first. Protein, Fat, and Carbs. Exercise is critical to muscle growth, and rest critical to repair. If you are getting a varied diet, you are getting all you need from that.

I recommend Folic Acid to all women of childbearing age, and Vitamin D to everyone in the northern hemisphere.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    First assess your diet. Where are you deficient? I knew I was deficient in protein so I added in a shake to up my protein intake. I also realised I don't get enough zinc magnesium and iron through my diet so take a multivitamin containing these. I've recently started taking creatine to give my CrossFit a boost. It's one of the safest supplements on the market as it's been so heavily researched. It's really helped me achieve my goals.

Try some things and see if they help. I found fish oil did nothing for me so I just added extra actual fish to my diet. I'm thinking about vitamin d supplement but I am outside twice a day with our dog so not sure it would benefit.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Try some things and see if they help. I found fish oil did nothing for me so I just added extra actual fish to my diet. I'm thinking about vitamin d supplement but I am outside twice a day with our dog so not sure it would benefit.

Has your doctor ever tested your D levels? Not everyone processes UV light properly. On the other hand, not everyone who stays indoors needs D. Only way to tell is through testing.

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I take a women's multi and magnesium 3x a week and fish oil every day.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use prenatals as a daily vitamin and also take probiotics every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I take D3 in the winter, but not the summer. I used to take fish oil, but I eat a lot of fatty fish, so don't bother anymore. Other than that I just try to eat a nutrient-dense diet (lots of veg, etc.) and get enough protein in the food I eat. I use various spices like turmeric in cooking, of course.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D because I'm deficient otherwise. Magnesium because it was recommended to me by my trainer because I was cramping up a lot at the gym and on the bike...seems to have fixed that problem. I occasionally use whey, but I typically get plenty of protein just eating my meals...
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Supplement-wise, it depends on your own needs and if you have a deficiency that causes medical problems (like not enough iron leading to anemia).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The #1 supplement above all which helped the most and is responsible for all my muscle gain and growth, fuel and repair...

More food.