Big NSV for me! Pics of my climb to the summit

Options
So, I started my journey here in Feb of 2010 and to date have lost 80 lbs (yay me!). I'm working on my last 20 now to reach my goal. Last year in the summer of 2010 I had already lost almost 50 and made it a personal goal to climb to the summit of a mountain known as "flat top" in Anchorage, Alaska (where I spend 8 weeks every summer). I did not get the opportunity to attempt it last year because frankly, I couldn't find anyone willing to go with me. Bummer. On looking back, I honestly don't know if I would have made it last year or not if I *had* attempted it. But, I digress.

So, this year, I had a party of 4 going - myself, my dad, his new wife and her son. About midway up, new wife didn't want to proceed and would not allow her son to proceed as she thought it was "too dangerous" (people of all ages do this all the time and son is 19, but that's another story). So, my father didn't want to leave her alone either so all of a sudden I am completely abandoned, left to finish on my own or quit. I honestly was a little hurt that my dad didn't proceed with me and actually cried for several minutes after they headed back down, but sucked it up and proceeded on my own. That was my first mini NSV :smile: Prior to this, I would not have even considered going forth on this trek from that point by myself.

So, here is the mountain looming ahead (already halfway up the 3500 ft mountain side by this point):
flattop002.jpg

Most of the trail was great and it was not a difficult climb at all, even for an inexperienced climber/hiker such as myself. As I got nearer the summit, however, the difficulty increased as did my trepidation lol:

Looking up toward the final climb to the summit
flattop018.jpg

Looking down
flattop017.jpg

I almost quit then, not from being tired, but being chicken :blushing: I am - never have been nor will I ever be - an adrenaline junkie. I just wanted to do this one thing and accomplish a personal goal. So I waited for some other people to start the climb so I wasn't by myself completely (you know, so someone could notify my next of kin should I slip or misstep and plummet to my death on the rocks on the way down the mountainside, lol) and up I continued.

Well, about 20 feet from the summit, I made the mistake of looking down and got lightheaded, dizzy and MAJORLY PANICKED. I mean, I froze on the spot, couldn't go up, couldn't start down and honestly thought someone was going to have send a rescue helicopter for me because I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to move to continue. Just paralyzed with fear. Thankfully, another woman climber noticed my trepidation and asked if I was ok. I told her no, I didn't think I was, lol. I said this is not me, I don't do this kind of thing, I should not be up here and I need to get down. LMAO. She was very kind and I thank her immensely for her encouraging words. She proceeded to tell me how far I had come, how close I was and really encouraged me to continue. I finally took a deep breath and continued. For about another 10 feet. And panicked again. My wonderful new friend encouraged me some more, pointed out how very very close I was and how much I would regret it if I turned back now. I don't know how I managed to overcome the sheer terror I felt, but I was definitely encouraged by this woman and did manage to summon the will to press on.

Victory was mine!
flattop006.jpg

All thanks to Tracy without whom, I know I could not have done it:
flattop011.jpg

The view was amazing:
flattop016.jpg

flattop007.jpg

But even more amazing was the fact that I accomplished my goal (even though I needed a little gentle prodding lmao) and I am so proud of myself for that! I could not have done it at the weight I was before, nor without the self-confidence I have gained along the way of my journey.

I have to say, I was just as nervous on the trek back down, but I made it and am thankfully still here to share the story with all of you here at MFP :happy:

Replies

• hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    well done you!! And that last picture is absolutely stunning!
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    GREAT JOB!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    All I can say is............WOW.
    I'm in awe.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    That is a great story and something you won't forget. Good for you! You know you can do anything now - with a little encouragement.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    AWESOME NSV!!! How cool is that! and the pics are great! And congrats on your weight loss!!!
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! That's amazing! And I'm proud of you for making it to the top, alone! Wow!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Way to go. Now I want to come up there and hike this mountain. Putting it on my bucket list. Thanks for the great success story and I'm glad you made it to the top.
  • bambam78
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You are awesome.
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great job! And thank you Tracy wherever you are!
  • simplysara9
    Options
    I love your story! Sometimes all it takes is a few kind words from a stranger to help push us to our goals.

The view is absolutely amazing and I am super jealous!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Love it! Love this Tracy too! Way to go!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    woot go you!! looks like one heck of a climb :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great pictures!

I would have freaked out about the height too. I get scared climbing a ladder lol.
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! (...on so many different levels!) Thanks for sharing and inspiring us all!!!
  • khgraves
    khgraves Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    what an amazing accomplishment and great story! Congratulations! I need to choose a mountain to climb myself. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How awesome!!! Pics are wonderful too.. but knowing you can do whatever you want now is the best!!! You are an inspiration!!
  • jessik980
    jessik980 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    VERY INSPIRING!! :wink:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    HUGE Way To Go!!! So happy for you for accomplishing your goal! Seems like Tracy was sent to be your guardian angel!

From the looks of the pictures, I think I might have been just as scared to go down as to go up. Wow - that is quite a mountain!

Congrats!!!!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    GREAT job!! I am so happy for you!! I have recently taken up hiking myself and it is such a great feeling to reach the summit. As for your family...shame on them for leaving you. Nobody should ever leave a hiker to hike by themselves. I am glad there were other people there for you to cheer you on and look out for you.
  • tomorrowisnotpromised
    Options
    Nothing can stop you now....AWESOME JOB!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!