Gained 17.3 LBS in 1 month

Options
When I started counting calories it was because I was unhappy at 160. I lost 5 LBS counting calories and jogging but then I moved residences and during the move I stopped excercise and counting calories. I also started a great relationship with my significant other. I just started a new job which I’m good at. Life is good...except I’m really unhappy with my body/weight at 173. I hate seeing myself in pictures and I feel disappointed in myself. Not sure how to tackle this new obstacle in my battle with food and weight loss. I’ve had a hard time since about age 28 so right around my 30s maintaining a healthy weight for my height (5’3”). I’ve gone up and down so many times in the past 6 years (I’m 34 now) that I’ve given up on my ability to be at a consistent and reasonable weight. I want to lose this weight fast and it seems to be so stubborn. Does anyone have any advice around how to quickly reverse rapid weight gain so that I can start losing instead of gaining? Especially interested in knowing what people who are avoiding sugars carbs and dairy are doing to stay on track. Thank you for reading.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    There is no losing it fast or better. Just start your calorie deficit and this will reverse the gain once you start. 17.3 in a month is a quite unhealthy and an aggressive gain, so you want to lose it in healthy fashion.

Since you stated you have gone up and down over the years, now is a great time to learn about how to work with food/nutrition so that you can adopt proper weight management and leave the 'lose gain' behind.

No need to avoid sugar, carbs or dairy, these are not bad foods, they are simply food. If you have been eating them before, you just want to eat the proper amounts of these foods that allows you to lose weight.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's great that you've had some positive changes in your life! I'd draw inspiration from them and start taking responsibility for my weight. Often people talk about their weight as if it is under someone else's control and they have to suffer the consequences. The truth is, you have full control. Responsibility means power. It means control! You can do whatever you wish with your body!

To lose weight all you need to do is eat less calories than your body burns but you already knew that. You can't lose your extra gains fast. There is no ctrl-z unfortunately. Weightloss takes time. A lot of time. 4lbs per month at your stats is the healthy and reasonable goal to aim for.

Good luck!
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Nearly 20 lbs in a month is a lot. If you're really sure that's due to overeating, ok. BUT, you might think about a visit to your doctor. Assuming it's really eating and drinking to excess, there aren't any quick fixes. I mean there are, you can completely eliminate sugar or carbs or fat from your diet, and you'll probably lose lots of weight quickly. The problem is, next month you'll gain it all back when you go back to your "old" eating habits. I would recommend tracking every bite and sip (I know, it can be a little tedious) for at least a week, including at least 1 weekend. And I mean measure and/or weigh it. You may be surprised by how much a serving actually is. Don't worry about losing weight for this 1st week or even 2. After you have a baseline, set yourself a small deficit to allow for 1/2 -1 lb weight loss a week. Eat the foods you like, but try to make one change for better health. Most of us don't eat enough fruit and veg, so commit to eating an extra serving or 2 every day (for example) After that's a normal part of your routine, commit to swapping out 1 serving of white rice or pasta for a whole grain variety. (again, just an example. I don't know what your diet really looks like.) Do you feel deprived without a glass or 2 of wine? Grumpy if you don't get chocolate or cinnamon gummy bears? Or chocolate covered cinnamon gummy bears? (yes, it is a thing) Work them into your diet. And I'm using the word "diet" in the sense of foods you eat, not in the restrictions to attempt weight loss sense. If losing 1 lb a week feels too hard, try for 1/2 lb. If 1 lb feels easy, try for 1 1/2 lbs. The goal is to get to your desired weight while still enjoying your life. Don't force yourself to eat things you hate, or completely avoid things you like. If you over indulge one day, it's ok. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking fast weight liss, start thinking sustainable changes.

Is there a medical reason you want to cut out carbs and dairy?
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If I had eaten a small, manageable calorie deficit the first time I tried to lose weight and stuck to it through the years, I would be at my goal and then some by now. Instead, I tried to do it quickly many many times - and cut out food groups, often thousands of calories and guess what? Six years later I was no skinner for it - pretty much exactly the same in fact.

The last 26lbs have taken a year to come off and it has been so, so much easier to do it and so much more difficult to gain it back (I was off travelling for two months in that time - drinking, eating, having fun. Also I didn't hold back over the Christmas holidays!).

It sounds boring, and long...but it really is the secret...small, manageable changes. Good luck OP!
  • BadWolf93O
    BadWolf93O Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We just moved across country in Feb. This resulted in me gaining 9 lbs and then spending the next 4 months just maintaining. We joined a really great gym with interactive classes and now I am finally down 22lbs. It took a while though. I had slipped into bad eating habits with the move. We ate out A LOT and it was really hard to break that cycle again BUT it is doable. You can do this! Try to think lifetime changes, not fad dieting. I hope this helps!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Presuming this is all true, my first bit of advice is to stop eating 2,000 calories a day more than you need.
    Track everything you eat and hold yourself accountable.

Second, educate yourself about proper diet, exercise and nutrition. It will take months and years to reach your goals.

Third, follow a sensible diet and training program that focuses on compound lifts for at least 3 months.
    Every 3 months re-evaluate your goals and progress.
    Discipline over the long-term is the key to success, not quick fixes and definitely not "motivation".

I always recommend "Thinner Leaner Stronger" to the women I coach. It is on sale for $4 on Kindle for a short time.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Just a guess, but during the course of moving, navigating a new job, and starting a new relationship - you started eating out at restaurants a lot. Is that accurate? That's how it works for me, simply because I'm trying to figure out new schedules, may not know where all of kitchen tools are, lack of time, and wanting to have new dates/experiences with your partner, etc. That's a lot of change at one time, even if it's positive change. (I had similar changes this spring, so I'm working on getting rid of the 14 pounds I gained.)

Highly caloric foods paired with a lot of sodium are easy to get at restaurants, even if you think you're making "good" choices, and that equals added body fat and possibly quite a few pounds from water retention. (Baked fish, starch, and veggies at my house is 530 cals vs. 980 at a chain restaurant. WTF.) If you have been eating restaurant-prepared food multiple times per week, reigning that in might help you drop the first few pounds very quickly. Instead of trying to lose a lot of weight in a short time frame, I'd recommend getting into a routine, making sure you can track what you're eating, and cutting back on meals you didn't prepare yourself.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You want to lose the weight fast. But faster isn’t always better, especially in weight loss. In my experience, because I yo-yo’d a few times, weight lost fast comes back fast ... and then some. Instead of looking for a lose-weight-quick solution/diet, try a more sustainable approach. Think “lifestyle change” vs “a diet”. Think small changes that you can keep instead of drastic changes that you only plan to keep up until you get to your goal, only to go back to “normal” and possibly regain weight.

If you can, grab a food scale and weigh everything. Even prepackaged food that says it only has a serving, because it’s entirely possible that it’s more. If exercise is something you plan to keep up in the long run, add that to your routine. If you hate exercising with a passion, don’t do it. You can lose weight without exercising, just make sure you’re eating in a deficit (input your stats into MFP). You’ll lose the weight gradually. There will be fluctuations. If you weigh and you’re up a pound despite making sure you’re in a deficit everyday, don’t get discouraged.

Also, if you like carbs and such, keep them. They’re not evil. I lost 23 pounds, and have been maintaining it for over a year, eating my favorite chicken and shrimp alfredo made with white noodles (because I seriously can’t stomach that whole grain stuff) and making sure to squeeze my Breyers strawberry cheesecake ice cream in after dinner. Even now, I swear I eat white bread like it’s going out of style. It’s all about that deficit.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You can do this! Best of luck in your journey :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @YepItsKriss Right, I'm not trying to argue against the math or the possibility that there are medical issues that could be contributing. I was (somewhat poorly) suggesting that she could be experiencing substantial water retention due to change in diet/exercise/new stress that's responsible for some of her weight gain. For example, having Chinese takeout plus pizza in the same week can put me up 6-7 pounds.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Carbs and dairy carry a lot of calories for the quantity eaten. Cutting back on these can help reduce total calories in. Eliminating 5 pieces of bread, rolls, crackers and 5 oz of cheese per day can save 500-1000 cals if they're not replaced with other high cal foods. I'm not saying to eliminate all carbs and dairy, but do eliminate the excess. I cut out lots of high carb foods and still eat 50% carbs within my calorie goal. I focus on eating enough protein, fruit, veggies, very little bread , potatoes, crackers, and still get lots of carbs but easier to control calories that way. I must have been eating 70-80% carbs when overweight!