Am I burning off to many calories? I do not want to go into

Options
Let says that you burn about 726 calories on the treadmill at an incline a day. Then you eat 2000 calories is that ok? My remaining calories would be 1274. My BMR is 1444.085. I have always been confused on how many calories remaining you should have left over in order for your body to function properly. I am trying to get pregnant and so I want to make sure that I am not burn off to many calories. Though I do not want to gain weight. I would still like to lose a pound a week if I can. Please if anyone could answer this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    Options
    That's fine. Especially if your body doesn't feel the need to eat anymore food.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    If you are entering all your calories in/out into MFP, just check your homepage. It will tell you what your "net calories" are for the day. Just don't let this number go below 1200 and you'll be fine. You obviously would want to eat more once you get pregnant but just talk to your doctor when that happens! Good luck!
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    You will probably have to cut back on the cardio when pregnant. You only go into "starvation mode" after a long period of eating very few calories. 1200 is fine personally I would do less cardio though
  • jolteon00
    Options
    You definitely won't go into starvation mode at those levels, but if you want to build up that muscle in your legs that you should get from walking at an incline like that, you may want to eat more. It's up to you. Just listen to your body.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The MFP recommendation is for "net" calories - 1200 is what many folks recommend as the minimum amount to consume. Many doctors recommend 1200 calories. I don't know how many of those doctors recommend Camels instead of Marlboro's.

When "starvation mode" is (was) studied, subjects were put on diets of < 500 calories. Consuming that few calories leads to dramatic weight loss as your body consumes fat. Once the body was at the "essential fat level", the body started consuming lean mass. Eventually people would starve to death as in North Korea and various famines in Africa.

You will not keel over and die if you have only 1197 calories. I'd venture to say you'd have to work really hard to get in trouble dieting. My reason for saying that is that your body will send you all kinds of signals (hunger, dizziness, lethargy) to get you to eat.

Many people, myself included, completely disregard the 1200 calorie limit and I'm very pleased with my weight loss results. My diet was modeled after a diet used by a medically supervised weight loss clinic that's been operating here in Southern California for over 40 years. Their approach, which has helped hundreds of thousands of people stay "lean for life", is to put people on a diet of about 800 cals/day (some are at 700). Generally speaking, people will lose 10% of their body weight during a single 10 week program.

Despite the dire warnings from some folks here on MFP (including one poster who wanted me banned because what I was writing was "dangerous") I consumed 800 to 1k cals/day for about 1/2 a year (http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm) I am very pleased with the results. My overall health is "excellent" and the results of my very extensive blood tests are "superb".

My approach to weight loss hasn't sapped my energy. At first, I was working out on the elliptical and using my dumbbells but, after I lost enough weight, I started running. My first training run was June 6, getting ready for a half marathon on August 21. I will admit that the California International Marathon on December 4 will be tough but that run will also be < 1 year from morbidly obese to marathon.

Don't get all stressed out about dipping below 1200 calories/day The human body can has spent millions of years learning to survive and it functions very nicely under a huge range of conditions.