Bipolar and Weightloss

Options
Mveler
Mveler Posts: 274 Member
Or anything for that matter!

Hello, I am Melissa. I am 38. I have been here for a few weeks and have really been doing...ok. But I am Bipolar. I am rapid cycling if anyone is familiar. I do take a medication for depression and one for control of mood swings. Actually I am on Lithium (which causes weight gain) and Wellburtrin. Among a few others including birth control which causes weight gain :(

Anyhow, I am extremely LOW right now and have no support to keep my head up.I feel like I am battling so much and so alone. I quit smoking last August (which my doctor says is wonderful and I am the first Bipolar he has seen be successful) I really NEED this weight off. I don't expect miracles by any means but I feel that my medication is against me and I hate to take it. If I stop taking it, I am a danger to myself and I cause problems within my home.

I am sinking fast and feel so alone.

I cry to you, Please, are there any other Bipolar people out there that knows what I am going through?

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Prayer and Im not even joking. This is something bigger than what you can handle.

Also, do some exercise and get those endorphins going. My mom has it and I have to talk her off the ledge sometimes. Just focus only on the awesome things in your life.

Hope that helps.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I am Bipolar although after 10 years of over medication I have decided not to take meds anymore and have been off them for over a year..I also quit smoking 10 years ago and that was hard on the body....if you ever wanna talk feel free to message me xxx
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hey Melissa,

We are here to help you but you have to stay on your meds until the Doctor says otherwise. Exercising is a good help to stimulating you and preoccupying with benefits. Feel free to hit me up any time. I have quite a few family members that are Bipolar as well. Some of them should be on meds and aren't. Have a great day.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    And I have every sympathy for you, esp with the rapid cycling. Other than a mixed state, that's the closest thing to hell I've ever experienced. HUGE hugs.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hang tight.....you've made a great start! You might try researching foods that help the brain and help us feel good. For example, potassium-rich foods, omega-3s, and lots of water. You can see a potassium chart here: www.krispin.com/potassm.html

Every day I aim for at least 3500mg of potassium. Low-sodium V8, lots of veggies, sweet potatoes, fruits. And every day I have a few walnuts and some flaxseed to get my Omega-3s. Fish oil is great, too.

I never would have believed that food could have such an impact on my mood swings and depression, but now I know it's true. Cut out "empty" calories like white flour and sugar, cut back on salt, drink more water. These things along with potassium and Omega-3s have helped me gain control of myself for once!

Good book on nutrition: Eating Well for Optimum Health by Andrew Weil, M.D.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My mother is bipolar, so I have experience helping her cope. I think that this website is a great step to keeping going. Please, stay on your meds if they work for you and you know that going off will put you and others you love in danger. It may be harder, but it is still possible to lose weight and be healthy.
    I encourage you to come to the message boards whenever you're down. This community is, in general, very kind and helpful and will do their best to help you through the downs.

Good luck!
  • a_vandyke
    a_vandyke Posts: 1
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, STAY ON THE MEDS!!! I can't stress that enough...and like jb_2011 stated OMEGA-3's & potassium really play a big role on mood. I really noticed this with my daughters who both suffer from ADHD. Removing empty calories such as the white flours and things with high fructose corn syrup help too. Caffienated drinks can make the bipolar symptoms worse and are usually high in sodium which leads to water retention and weight gain since most are empty calories. If you mood is down and the meds alone aren't working trying adding a Vitamin D supplement. It helps to increase your seratonin levels which also play a role in your mood. If you have a MP3 player try putting some upbeat music on it and just hitting the pavement (running I mean) for a mile or so...it can really help get rid of the extra pounds and I know, for me at least, it really helps boost my mood because you can rock out to your music while burning some extra calories and clearing your head...also, when I am feeling blue a zumba class really helps boost my mood (the music is upbeat and the dancing involved is so much fun)...just some thoughts and tips. Good Luck!
  • Mveler
    Options
    Thanks to all . I am in no way giving up. I appreciate the tips and offer of support. It is nice to know there are some who know exactly what hell this life can be. I have a great husband and three wonderful children yet the struggle is there and very real. I am blessed in so many ways. I will not stop taking my meds, I spent over 6 months on the edge of death last year from that.

It just gets really upsetting at times. I am doing everything right (meds, life, etc) and just to get beat down is off putting.

Again I appreciate it. I spend 25 out of 30 days a month on the ledge. I would love that to be 5 days on 25 days off!
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I suffered from bi polar disorder, that is until I stopped taking those medications. THis is me and in NO WAY meant for you to try, i'm just relating my experience.
    It was horrible, I was always changing medications or increasing doses. I finally found meds that worked and evened out for about 1.5 years, then they just stopped working and it was back to the drawing board. I finally just said I can't do this anymore and quit with no real plan. ( not suggested EVER ) It's been 5-ish years since I quit and I am doing good. I have ups, and I have downs but I have learned to get the ups and downs a little closer on the graph. I quit smoking 3 months ago and doing good with that. Since i've been working out so much i've noticed that my moods are even more level. I've also noticed that I cry at everything though. Not a bad cry, you know that * happy emotional girl cry. It's not something I'm used to dealing with but I'm learning lol

You can do this. I know wellbutrin made me gain a lot of weight, so did lithium. The only meds I ever took that took off the weight was topomax. That is the one that just stopped working on me. I wish you the best, you will stuggle, but you will make it if you keep after it. I am proud of you and all the effort you are putting out there. Every day that you wake up and say i'm going to try something better for me is a good day!

I have a feeling that the more you work out the more your moods will level out also. Maybe not a drastic change, but when you are dealing with a disorder like that, even the smallest change is welcome.
    Best of luck to you, so many of us are here if you need someone
  • Mveler
    Options
    Thank you, I too have been down the medication list three or four times. I gave up meds for over 4 years but I was a true nightmare. My family has videos of me threatening to kill myself and going absolutely nuts. It is not a pleasant film.

I am the most stable I have been since I was 11 years old. But the weight gain is a downer and I mean that in a way that noone other than a Bipolar can mean. It literally makes me sick to fell this way.

So the meds will stay. I am feeling better with the exercise and try to keep myself level.

Sometimes I wish I could just ball up and disappear. Those are the times I will seek help. I can not count on one hand how many times the house's medications and knives have been locked up.

I cannot quit trying or the others (splitting) will win.

I know I babel, it is something I do when on an Up. Sorry.
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's not about loosing weight though girl, it's about feeling better. The more you work it the it feels. right? You are doing great, keep reaching out and we will keep replying! :)
  • michaelynj
    michaelynj Posts: 29
    Options

Hello, I am Melissa. I am 38. I have been here for a few weeks and have really been doing...ok. But I am Bipolar. I am rapid cycling if anyone is familiar. I do take a medication for depression and one for control of mood swings. Actually I am on Lithium (which causes weight gain) and Wellburtrin. Among a few others including birth control which causes weight gain :(

Anyhow, I am extremely LOW right now and have no support to keep my head up.I feel like I am battling so much and so alone. I quit smoking last August (which my doctor says is wonderful and I am the first Bipolar he has seen be successful) I really NEED this weight off. I don't expect miracles by any means but I feel that my medication is against me and I hate to take it. If I stop taking it, I am a danger to myself and I cause problems within my home.

I cry to you, Please, are there any other Bipolar people out there that knows what I am going through?

I can understand where you come from. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder 3 years ago and been struggling with mood swings since. I have more lows than highs and I was taking lithium as well as Lamital, Geodon, and Seroquel. Just the lamital alone blew me up to about 300 pounds and the others turned me into a zombie so I stop taking the meds and try to stay as busy as possible.

My weight fluctuated alot in 2009, I went from 300 to 210 and back up to 280 and now 267. I'm having an issue with my weight going up and down and its depressing. Hopefully losing the weight will make me feel better, but you are not alone in this.
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am bipolar also. I am very sensitive to medications and have never found a great combination for me. Right now I'm on the Wellbutrin only, but it has made a huge difference. I had taken it several years ago and had a really bad reaction to it right after the birth of my youngest son. I decided to give it another try after trying topomax among others and it helped a lot and worked this time... I have no idea why. It's really hard to lose weight on medication, so i really feel your pain. Wellbutrin seems to not have the same effect as other drugs as far as weight gain goes. The last time I was rapid cycling I forced myself to go to spinning classes at the Y several times a week. It really helped to elevate my mood and make me feel better. I tried to do as many drop in classes as I could for the mood boost and it sort of wore me out so that I didn't have a lot of time to think. I agree that what you eat is super important. It's not for everyone, but I am a vegetarian and that has been a really good choice for me. Fish oil, vitamin D and Super B complex help a lot. Do you go to regular counseling? I found that really helpful in sorting out what was happening, and learning how my mind works and how to dissect it if that makes sense. I am now pretty good at troubleshooting myself as I phase in and out of bouts of extreme ups and downs. Take care of yourself! You are definitely not alone.
  • aallen8599
    aallen8599 Posts: 73
    Options
    I don't have bipolar disorder but I do have panic disorder and I've been on and off medication (depression meds) for a few years. I tried too to battle it alone, or use herbal remedies and nothing helped. I went to work crying for a few days because my anxiety was so extremely bad-so I finally got on meds. It has also made me gain 15-18lbs. since I've been on it and being only 5'3", that is a LOT! I'm very active and work out regularly. I eat healthy too but the scale never budges, I mean not even 1 pound! So I started this app on my iPod and I am determined to kick this weight somehow! I'm telling you all of this because I know how I felt never being able to lose the weight, so I can definitely sympathize with you. I've had family members say "I just don't understand why you can't lose weight" which makes you feel even more defeated.

Just know you are NOT alone and there are people here who have similar issues. Don't give up and like someone else said, Pray (which I myself need to do more of), workout to build endorphins, log your foods and talk to the people on here when you feel low-and it doesn't matter if you babble, we all do it sometimes. :-) It's a journey, not a sprint. That's what I have to keep telling myself. Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Curves is a great place to work out and get support..I rapid cycle and am now sliding into depression ... I talked to the Curves manager and she so wants to help me..If I don't show for 2 days she is going to call my house and "encourage" me to get to curves...(Complain...nag..coerce even!!)..LOL..We CAN do this...but...because of bipolar..we can''t do it alone...we would like to think we are strong enough..but in reality..we are not when we are sliding ...Reach out..get support from those you trust!!!..lean on people .. til you are stronger again...they can always lean back when they need to!!!...
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I am not Bipolar, but my mom is, and I've had some friends over the years that were, so I have seen others go through what you are experiencing.

First of all, congrats on the smoking cessation! That is really hard to do, and I agree with your doctor that it is even harder for Bipolar folks!

Secondly, the fact that you are reaching out is awesome. You don't have to go through your emotions alone.

I am really impressed that you are working so hard to take control of your life, rather than letting your circumstances control you. Know what I'm saying? I admire your strength based off what you've written so far. It's easy to feel down from time to time, but when you look at the big picture, you seem to be handling it really well.
  • eviegirl1
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is an interesting topic to me also. There are lots of helpful posts here - thanks everyone.

I am bipolar type 1, mixed state, rapid cycling. I take my meds - Sodium valproate, cymbalta and edronax (this one helped me lose about 5 kg, then stalled). Sometimes I need to have a week of zyprexa if I am too high, and for sleep I have temazapan only 3 times a week.

Before I was diagnosed bipolar, I came off my antidepressants (for major depression) as I was feeling so good (probably a huge manic episode in hindsight). Within a few months I was hospitalised. I have never gone the self harm path for which I am thankful. But my bipolar swings do affect the state of and strain on family life. My marriage didn't survive.

My give-up habit was alcohol, even though I never drank much, even a little was not good for me, and was bad for bipolar. Haven't had any alcohol for 2 years, 4 months.

About 6months ago a GP told me I was obese - that shocked me into action to stop the weight gain. The first 5kg went off by starting Edronax (in my meds),, I joined mfp around that time and have not lost much weight since, but I also have not gained.

I have been through a difficult time mentally, with alot of depression, over the past few months. This involves lots of sleeping and binge eating. Not enough exercising. And not doing food or exercise diaries on this site.

I am having a couple of weeks of Lite n Easy meals at the moment, and exercising a bit more. Seems to be helping me towards my goal. Also, my kids are away on a vacation, so I have some precious me time. Its very good.

I babble on too, especially if I am a bit high!

I hope through mfp we can help each other through the tough times so each can stay on the path towards weight loss and health goals.

Eve
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar type 2. I am currently taking Lamictal, Geodon, and Pristiq. I have been on this combo for awhile now and have seen good results. The Geodon leaves me groggy in the mornings, so I take Ritilin to counteract this. So far, the meds haven't caused any weight gain. I have been on MFP for two weeks and have lost 6 pounds, so it seems to be going well...so far.
    It is hard battling mental illness and weight. Sometimes it does seem overwhelming. The support you receive on here should help a lot. I have also found that my moods are better and more stable since I have started exercising every day. If you would like, you can friend me or message me!
  • theygowild
    Options
    No one can complain until they have experienced rapid cycling or a mixed state! I have Bipolar II, and I understand how rough it is for us. The meds seem to work against us, and it is incredibly frustrating, especially because they are out of our control.

For me, it's all about focusing on what I have control of: making good use of my support system, watching what I eat, exercising, and keeping on a schedule as much as possible (especially when it comes to sleep!). When I do these things (I call it my Wellness Plan,) I like how I feel. My cycles seem less severe. I tend to be more confident (I also have Social Anxiety Disorder).

It's all about finding what works for you. My advice: Accept that you will stay on your meds.....but don't dwell on it! Look at how you are working on managing your Bipolar, and be proud that you are helping yourself. Hang in there! We are here for you!

Anyone feel free to add me. I'm always looking to give or get support. :)