Holding off on the scale

Options
Hi everyone,

You sorta take a chance every time you download a free app to your mobile device so I didn't expect a lot. Downloading myfitnesspal was the best such choice I've made in months. I eat better when I keep a food journal, even without counting calories, so knowing exactly where I stand nutritionally helps me make better choices.

I'm easing my way back to fitness consciousness with the food diary and fitting in some exercise. I don't have a scale and think one would just make me anxious and crazy. My next doctor's appointment is in October and if I get on one between now and then I'll update my weight so the progress tracker doesn't look too pitiful.

Good health to you all! :flowerforyou:
FloraJoy

Replies

• colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't weight myself for years, and it had definitely crept up on me. Once I lost a few pounds over a couple of months (clothes were looser) then I felt brave enough to face the scale because no matter what it said, I knew I already looked and felt better. That was last week! I was shocked at first but felt better knowing I was already on my way, and now it feels good to know exactly where I stand because I can make specific goals! (I still don't have a scale at home and just weight myself at the gym.)

Cheers and Welcome!
  • FloraJoy
    FloraJoy Posts: 24
    Options
    Cupcakes, me too! I always went by how my clothes fit and then found sweat and yoga pants, which are way too forgiving for way too long. I can see how a scale will be a good thing to have for maintaining a set weight. Once I've incorporated good eating and accommodated exercise into my days again I might actually think about picking one up.

Thanks so much for the welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

Personally I found it discouraging without a scale :\ Well we had one but not one that went up high enough, and I was too embarrassed to tell anyone that I had gone that far overweight :(

Without seeing number progress I never could stay motivated very long :\ But now I have one that shows mine :) And MFP is the best thing I ever joined :D
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome Flora! I'm new too! I stayed off the scale too....now I find it makes me accountable! I only get on Sundays though. there's too much fluxuation day to day to be accurate. Once a week and then it goes back into hiding under my bed until next Sunday!
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I am with you on this one. I don't have a scale either. When I was in my teens and early 20's I took dieting to an extreme and weighed myself several times a day. Now (at 30 yrs.) I just do it once a month while at the gym. Good luck in your health journey. :-)
  • FloraJoy
    FloraJoy Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi everybody!

It feels good to be among people who know what it's like to have to pay attention to food and fitness. And, soon I can figure out if weighing once a week or once a month works best for me.

Thanks for the encouragement and welcomes!

:flowerforyou: