Do I stick to what they give me or add more if breastfeeding

Options
Hey I had a baby 2 weeks ago and have lost over a st whilst pregnant. But now he's here I'm breastfeeding and was wondering do I stick to the 1200 cals mfp have given me or do I add more

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Add more. You probably shouldnt be eating so little 2 weeks after giving birth. You need to let your body heal.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Congratulations. If you are exclusively breastfeeding you should be adding around 500 calories a day to what MFP gives you. If your milk supply is diminishing then increase this amount by 50-100 calories and if you are not losing weight, decrease it by the same amount.
  • GaryMilan2017
    GaryMilan2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations first of all.I would say more as you need to keep your body strong.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at maintenance
    Change your setting in mfp. You should not be in a deficit at the moment, your body needs the fuel to make milk for baby and now is the time when your supply is being set up

• katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd set your goal at maintenance, and possibly eat above that, because breastfeeding will create a deficit. If you cut too much your milk will suffer. Give your milk a few months to really become consistent, then start adjusting your calories down while watching your supply. I personally can not cut calories while nursing, or I dry right up.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I breastfed and needed to eat ALL the time, I didn't gain weight whilst I breastfed either. You need to eat at least 500 calories per day extra for your body to produce the milk for your baby. I used to eat in the night whilst I fed baby too I was always starving! I would be tempted to aim for closer to 2000 calories per day, just eat the right foods and stay healthy and active and see how you get on with weight. But for the time being you will need the extra calories to establish your milk supply x
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eat more. I set my goal to maintain while nursing and didn’t add any “exercise” calories by breastfeeding. I lost weight
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why woman think it's okay to lose weight while pregnant and/or breastfeeding.

This is the health of your child we are talking about.

OP you lost 14lbs while pregnant???? and your doctor was okay with that?

As for breastfeeding if you don't eat enough calories your milk will have too little nutrition for your child...

Eating at maintenance and then adding in the calories for the breast feeding is the way to go...you will lose the weight later..now you should be concentrating on the health of your new born...
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Def add more! I think there's a way top put breast feeding in so you know how much more to eat.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    At 2 weeks, you're still establishing your supply and bf'ing relationship. Eat at your regular maintenance plus some.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's been a long time since I was breastfeeding. My memory is an extra 300 calories for that, but I see a couple of comments saying 500. Check with your OB, pediatrician or lactation consultant. Don't try to be overly restrictive while breastfeeding. Any nutrients you aren't getting in your diet, either baby doesn't get either, or milk production "robs" it from your stores. After you've recovered from childbirth and breastfeeding is well established (at least 6-8 weeks) then you can think about whether you need to lose weight. We see public figures bopping around after childbirth as if they've returned to pre baby weight and fitness magically 2 weeks after the baby is born, but that's not normal or realistic for most of us. Night nurses, personal chefs, personal trainers, and spanx is how they pull that off. Be kinder to yourself and your new baby than that. And congratulation!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    maryannprt wrote: »
    Be kinder to yourself and your new baby than that. And congratulation!

Cosigned. I hate the unrealistic expectations I see so many new mothers holding themselves to. Don't let it rob you of the joy of your new little one!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - you just created a whole human - don't punish your body! Eat those extra calories! 1200 + breast feeding calories is likely way too low as it is...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

OP you lost 14lbs while pregnant???? and your doctor was okay with that?

If she was obese, probably. She also could have had a difficult pregnancy that made it hard to keep food down that led to weight loss regardless.

OP - first, congrats on your babe! Eat maintenance for that first 6-8 weeks. Your body needs fuel to not only make milk for your little but also to heal you. Girl you just grew a human - you wreaked havoc on your body!

After your supply is established, then you can play a little. The usual advice is 500 calories for exclusive BF and 300 once you're supplementing formula or solids.

Also, one thing to consider is that a lot of women - more than you will be led to believe - can't lose weight without compromising their supply. When I was exclusively breastfeeding, if I dipped below a net of 2000ish calories, my supply tanked. I gave up on actively losing until I was done. Now that Nugget is about to be 1 and is eating more than nursing, I'm back to losing.

Yes I understand all the reasons it might be okay...I am a mom and lost weight as well but my doctor was not okay with it as I wasn't obese etc.

and put me on a special diet...

hence why I asked the Poster to clarify.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    consult your doctor as to how much you should be eating for better health and also to support the baby