P90X Question

Options
What comes after P90X?

I know that it is not good to fad diet because we are not learning how to eat healthy and to maintain weightloss. But what about exercise programs like P90X. Now I am not here to criticise. I have been thinking aobut investing in P90X at some point, but am curious about how those who have completed the program (once or twice) transition to a routine toning/strengthening/building program. Does P90X give guidelines for this...is it meant to be used as a quick results program in addition to what one is already using...???

Incorperating weights into my weight loss program has always been a struggle for me, cause I have no clue where to start. Will probably get P90X at some point (like I said), but once I am finished it then what?

Replies

• stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i think there's a p90x +, and there's insanity.....
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Skip P90X, invest in Insanity. It will get you better results faster and the investment is less since all the cardio, strength and conditioning exercises use your own body vs weight and chin up bars etc. for P90X, which you have to buy seperately.
  • anton73
    anton73 Posts: 6
    Options
    P90X is a great program. I have a few friends that have repeated it a few times.

Personally for me, it doesn't fit my schedule. Some of the workouts are about an hour plus warmup and plus ab ripper. I just don't have that much free time at home due to family needs unless I get up and do it at 4 am (sorry, not that dedicated)
  • rohitseth
    Options
    There are 3 variations of the P90X program - Lean, Classic and Doubles. I'm doing the Lean program right now to lose about 10 lbs. Once I'm done, I'll do round 2 with the Classic and then maybe the Doubles.

Beyond that, you can do the classic routine as your regular workout - Trust me, it's intense enough.

Hope this helps.

Ro
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week 4 of P90x. To me, I feel that even when it's over I will never see it as the end, I am already planning what I will do after. I don't see it as a quick fix, more like just a exercise routine that I will probably continue in the future around my current schedule. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week to use the free weights and on most of the days I'm not there I do P90x (I'd never do it everyday as gym is more important to me) so I usually do it 2-5 times a week.

I plan afterwards to either do ChaLean Extreme, or (more likely) another round of P90x but switching from classic to doubles.
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What's after P90X? Another round! :) Or as a hybrid with Insanity.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I loved P90x. I am a trainer now, so I do my own thing, but P90x does work if you put in the time. I didn't always use the cardio options-though they are great I was just doing so much cardio on my own. Insanity is a good program too, but I would invest in one of Chalenes programs before insanity.
  • FatUglyFatHead
    Options
    I found myself in a similar place not long ago. The thing about P90X that I love is the fact that it can be customized. My wife and I are 2 months into it, and we already have our favorite workouts that will continue to be a part of our workout regimen for a very, very long time. P90X has worked muscles that I didn't know I had....but I sure felt the next day! It has been such a great way to mix things up. We invested in a few light barbells, and then a few more as we've gained strength.
  • jboothfsc
    Options
    P90X is a great program. I have a few friends that have repeated it a few times.

Personally for me, it doesn't fit my schedule. Some of the workouts are about an hour plus warmup and plus ab ripper. I just don't have that much free time at home due to family needs unless I get up and do it at 4 am (sorry, not that dedicated)

I totally agree with you regarding P90X. Single people with no children might have the time it takes (not me).

As for the question, there are statistics that I can't exactly remember, but something like "you only need to work out 3 times a week to maintain what you have gained as far as muscle or cardio endurance." Maintaining the P90X schedule for longer than 90 days would be difficult. Heck...90 days is difficult!!!!!!!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I am doing P0X right now...Most people either repeat it, or get Insanity or the newer programs by Beach Body. It isn't meant to be a quick fix solution (none of the Beach Body programs are), it takes a lot of work and its HARD. It pushes you every single time you push play.

What I think is the best thing about P90X is the fact that while you are doing it, it makes you want to plan things after the program is over so that you stay just as active as you are while doing it.
    So for me, my plan is to do another round of it, then buy the Kettleworx program and do a hybrid. That will take me through about next March. The my goal is to do P90X and start training for the Warrior Dash next September.

This is the first time in my life that I have fitness goals for a year...and it is all thanks to the fact that I bought P90X and it pushes me to challenge myself. You can do it!

Another note - Insanity is more cardio based and P90x is more strength training based. Consider your knees, etc. when deciding which to buy. I can't do the Plyo video included in the P90X program, so I swtich it out. I don't think my knees and feet would let me do Insanity.

Good luck in your decision!
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt suggest getting Insanity if you are just starting to workout. I did P90X and then got Insanity, and it was a challenge. There are a lot of great beachbody programs out there, I am a team beachbody coach, feel free to message me for other information.

Good Luck,

Dara
  • rohitseth
    Options
    Yup, that's my plan. I'd like to take a stab at Insanity after P90X. Why? Coz its there! That's a good enough reason, right?