Not eating enough??

2»

Replies

• tiffanymarie0429
    tiffanymarie0429 Posts: 11 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Might I suggest a visit to the doctor to get a full blood panel done? Ask to have iron/vit B12/vit D checked, as well as Thyroid and blood glucose. An imbalance in any of those can cause lethargy and extreme tieredness.

Eating too little can also cause that effect but best to rule out any possible underlying medical problems.

That description of "heavy" is exactly what I feel like when I'm iron deficient.

Once that's all checked out and if nothing is out of whack there, go over your logging and be honest with yourself how much you are eating (estimating portions vs weighing them on a food scale).

Good call on the iron. I forget because now that I supplement regularly I don't have to worry about it!

Wow everyone is so helpful.
    Thank you!
  • tiffanymarie0429
    tiffanymarie0429 Posts: 11 Member
    It's not that. If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much. To lose weight, you need to eat less. You may be losing weight without knowing it - water weight fluctuations can mask fat loss for a while. But if you consistently eat less than you burn, you lose weight.

But you can't starve yourself. That will make you sick if you do it long enough. Hungry for a long time first, to deter you, so hopefully you'll stop.

So what gives? You have to eat less, but not too little. That's what MFP is telling you. But if you aren't losing weight, you're still eating too much. If so, it's your logging. You have to log everything you put in your mouth, using correct entries with all the nutritional values for that exact item, and in the exact amount you actually ate, so you need to weigh it, and do it every time, and not leave anything out, not forgetting anything, not estimating anything, and no cheating.

Then you just have to be patient. If you've set your calorie goal right (weightloss approx. 1% of total bodyweight per week), it should be fairly easy. Eat food you like. You'll want to take taste, nutrition, work, family and social life into consideration. Prelogging is a neat trick.

I feel like I eat. I’m not starving myself.. I mean I’m 148lbs and 5’4”. Could it be that I’m not active at ALL. I’m so Lethargic all the time.. and that’s why I’m gaining? I’m trying to do it with diet plus take care of my 3 year old.. I’m horrible with management.. maybe..
    I was trying to say that if you're not losing weight, you're not eating too little, your logging is off. If you're not hungry, that another vote for "incorrect logging".

Taking care of a child is work. Maybe you are stressed. Maybe you aren't eating or sleeping well. Maybe you need to do something fun and interesting. Planning takes an effort, but it's supposed to save you net time and effort.
    I’ve been over my app thing and it’s definitely set right. I think I need help with what foods are good and bad.. I know fruits and veggies are great but what else?
    Foods aren't good or bad. Foods are just things we eat that have nutrients. We need a wide variety of nutrients every day, but not too much of anything over time. Food groups is a useful tool. Every day, eat some food from each group, and from several for each meal, and different foods through the day and from day to day: 1) fruit, 2) (non-starchy) vegetables, 3) meat, fish, eggs, beans (protein foods), 4) dairy, 5) grains and starchy vegetables, 6) nuts and seeds, 7) fats and oils. You will see that a balanced meal and a balanced diet looks very similar to what you grew up with, that there are no need for fancy ingredients or fads or contraptions.

Treats are fine if they are eaten occasionally and in moderate amounts. It's consistent overeating that makes us gain weight.

Thank you. I know my sleep is wayyy off because I’m tired and bleh all the time..
    I do agree that I need to do more fun stuff.. I do have a major flaw... PLANNING! Im awful at it hah

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I’ve been over my app thing and it’s definitely set right. I think I need help with what foods are good and bad.. I know fruits and veggies are great but what else?

Please don't fall into that mindset that there are good foods and bad foods. A calorie is a calorie (I won't get into the argument that there are healthier calories, because there are. But taken down to the very basic, a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from). I eat a handful of M&Ms a day and am losing. It's all about eating at your calorie goal.
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Wow and I thought homemade meant cooked at home. Thank you so much for this info
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited October 2017
    I feel so tired and heavy all the time.. not like heavy weight wise but I feel like I’m pulling 10000 pounds
    1. Weighing food is important for accuracy, you may be eating more than you think
    2. Tiredness/low motivation and sleep dysfunction are common with depression and other medical issues. Have you brought these issues up with a doctor lately? Low iron, low vitamin D and a bunch of other minor but correctable issues could be checked with a blood panel.