I seem to have lost 12kgs...well I definitely can't find it that's for sure (no body change!)

Options
mazmataz
mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
From my highest weight on MFP (which I was around seven years ago - but I did get close again about one year ago), I've lost 12kgs (26.5lbs). I've lost the last 4-5kgs (9-11lbs) over the past six months or so.

From my highest weight until now (my lowest weight since I was in my early teens), I really can't see or feel much difference.

I feel that I have a flatter stomach - but I'm still wearing the same size I was at my highest weight. I haven't taken deliberate progress pics, but looking at old a newer photos...I can't really see any changes. I've lost literally an inch and bit from my waist and from my hips - and that's all I measure.

None of my friends have made any comments either (although my friends I live nearby see me pretty much every day, so I guess it's more difficult to notice - the rest of my family and friends are overseas and I see them a few times a year at most - but I still Skype them and they can see my pics on Facebook).

I'm more than happy to keep plugging away, and I'm getting a huge buzz from seeing the numbers go down...just looking back it seems weird that I've actually lost a fair chunk of weight (more than I ever have before), but can't figure out where it's coming from!
Anyone further down the line experienced similar? Very odd!

Edit: Oh and just for the record I'm 168cm/5'6" tall, started at 96kgs and now I'm 84kg - so I'm not hugely tall or anything.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    An inch is a lot. I'd say you are losing proportionally, which makes it hard to see. It's a hard win though, so own it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulations! I've lost 32 lbs so far and am still wearing much of the same clothing. I don't know about you, but as I gained weight, I moved towards more stretchy and loose-fitting clothing. I was also right at the edge of getting too big for a lot of my clothes when I started losing weight, so I suppose that's another reason most of them still fit.

As for your friends, if they see you every day they probably didn't notice at first, and then if/when they did notice, they probably felt awkward about saying something. So it goes. You know that you're doing the hard work!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The more you have to lose the longer it takes for the weight loss to physically be seen...keep plugging away though and you will be rewarded. Congrats on 12kg lost so far.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 20 lbs so far (SW 213) and the only people who noticed were my BodyPump instructor and a few people in the gym classes I attend regularly. Oddly enough, none of my close friends have noticed at all. I haven't been taking measurements regularly. My old jeans fit well enough. Like you, I'll keep plugging away.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's not until the last 15-20kg that you will dramatically drop dress sizes. I've lost 10kg and have about 10kg to go and have dropped from size 14 to size 8, but there are many people that lose the same amount and don't drop, particularly size 18 range and up, I think clothing manufacturers put a larger difference in sizing between the higher sizes.
    If you look at clothing patterns you can see this in the area you cut out to make a garment. There probably is an exact formula for it.
    People don't always notice or are too scared to say anything as it is a sensitive subject and don't want to offend you.
    Don't despair, the next 12kg will definitely show, and all of a sudden you will have to spend money on new clothes!
  • mazmataz
    Options
    I appreciate the responses guys! I've just never actually gotten this far before (which is ludicrous given how many times I've started over, just look at my MFP join date!), so I realised that I don't really know what to expect from here on in, in terms of there where and when of noticeable changes.

I probably have previously been squeezing into clothes that may have been a tad too small - I wear lots of stretchy tank tops, fitted t-shirts and jeans with good stretch in them, I don't wear any tailored clothes...although I look forward to being able to one day. So my clothes now probably actually fit me properly or have gone with me.

I guess the upside is not having to spend money on new clothes every time I drop a few kilos ;-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, the size difference accelerates the closer you get to goal weight.
  • mazmataz
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's not until the last 15-20kg that you will dramatically drop dress sizes. I've lost 10kg and have about 10kg to go and have dropped from size 14 to size 8, but there are many people that lose the same amount and don't drop, particularly size 18 range and up, I think clothing manufacturers put a larger difference in sizing between the higher sizes.
    If you look at clothing patterns you can see this in the area you cut out to make a garment. There probably is an exact formula for it.
    People don't always notice or are too scared to say anything as it is a sensitive subject and don't want to offend you.
    Don't despair, the next 12kg will definitely show, and all of a sudden you will have to spend money on new clothes!

14 to an 8? Nice! Definitely looking forward to those days! I'm actually wearing a UK size 16 at the moment, and have been pretty much all of my adult life...sometimes I can squeeze into a 14 depending if vanity sizing has been implemented or not...but again this has always been the case, nothing new.

It's funny you say about people not wanting to offend - I lost some weight (not as much as now) a few years ago and guy I worked with said to me 'Have you lost weight?' before getting really awkward and spurting out 'Please don't take that the wrong way!". I was like 'why on earth would I be offended, that's awesome!'. But yeah - I guess it is a touchy subject!

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    mazmataz wrote: »
    From my highest weight on MFP (which I was around seven years ago - but I did get close again about one year ago), I've lost 12kgs (26.5lbs). I've lost the last 4-5kgs (9-11lbs) over the past six months or so.

From my highest weight until now (my lowest weight since I was in my early teens), I really can't see or feel much difference.

I feel that I have a flatter stomach - but I'm still wearing the same size I was at my highest weight. I haven't taken deliberate progress pics, but looking at old a newer photos...I can't really see any changes. I've lost literally an inch and bit from my waist and from my hips - and that's all I measure.

None of my friends have made any comments either (although my friends I live nearby see me pretty much every day, so I guess it's more difficult to notice - the rest of my family and friends are overseas and I see them a few times a year at most - but I still Skype them and they can see my pics on Facebook).

I'm more than happy to keep plugging away, and I'm getting a huge buzz from seeing the numbers go down...just looking back it seems weird that I've actually lost a fair chunk of weight (more than I ever have before), but can't figure out where it's coming from!
    Anyone further down the line experienced similar? Very odd!

Edit: Oh and just for the record I'm 168cm/5'6" tall, started at 96kgs and now I'm 84kg - so I'm not hugely tall or anything.

We are the same height. I started at 186 pounds and I weigh 172 now. Once I reached 176ish I started to noticed for real. I lose weight all over at the same time, not just one area.
    I am pretty straight , not much of a waist. It just takes longer for people to notice on me.
  • mazmataz
    Options
    We are the same height. I started at 186 pounds and I weigh 172 now. Once I reached 176ish I started to noticed for real. I lose weight all over at the same time, not just one area.
    I am pretty straight , not much of a waist. It just takes longer for people to notice on me.

I am now pretty much exactly the same as your starting weight - so yeah that helps a lot, thanks!

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm also the same height as you. If you look at my pics in my profile, you'll see you can definitely see the difference once you're at a lower weight. The three photos in the same outfit show 77, 72, and 67 kg, the one in the dress I think I was around 65, so 12kg across those four photos (really must get around to doing a new one in stretch black things for the 'official' progress pics...).
  • Tariq_1997
    Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well it also happens to me, i have lost 26 KG so far and i can't see changes in my body, parents and friends tell me that i look different but i can't see it.
    My weight was 141 KG and now it's 115 KG, height 190 cm.
    And yeah i'm still wearing the same clothes i used to wear when i was 141 KG but it's wayy bigger now. Keep the good work up and you'll get to your goal.
    Good luck mate all the best
  • mazmataz
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    OP, I'm also the same height as you. If you look at my pics in my profile, you'll see you can definitely see the difference once you're at a lower weight. The three photos in the same outfit show 77, 72, and 67 kg, the one in the dress I think I was around 65, so 12kg across those four photos (really must get around to doing a new one in stretch black things for the 'official' progress pics...).

Nice one, thank you! You sure can see a huge difference - nice work, you have an awesome figure!
  • mazmataz
    Options
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    Well it also happens to me, i have lost 26 KG so far and i can't see changes in my body, parents and friends tell me that i look different but i can't see it.
    My weight was 141 KG and now it's 115 KG, height 190 cm.
    And yeah i'm still wearing the same clothes i used to wear when i was 141 KG but it's wayy bigger now. Keep the good work up and you'll get to your goal.
    Good luck mate all the best

That's an amazing loss, well done! And your clothes are too big so time for a new wardrobe ;-) Thanks for the response and good luck on your journey too! :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    mazmataz wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Nice one, thank you! You sure can see a huge difference - nice work, you have an awesome figure!

Aw thanks :)
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Also you might not be measuring where you losing it from, depending on your shape. I am an apple and my waist shrinks only after my hips and thighs have lost quite a bit. I spend a fair amount of time in pants with what I call drop crotches, waiting for my waist to lose enough to go down the next size.
  • megbrewerr
    megbrewerr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar experience to this one! I feel like most of my clothes could have fit me pre and post weight loss - but as many said, it was because I was in denial and wearing clothes that were either very baggy or too tight. They fit me now in a looser way but are still wearable - which is a blessing and curse, because I LOOK better since losing weight but when I am dressed I don't FEEL better because my clothes aren't fitted in an attractive way. Financially, I don't have the money to buy new clothes, but I find that when I do, I am sometimes able to go for the smaller sizes! Thank god for Goodwill for letting me try on clothes I can afford and feel good in some smaller sizes