loose skin

Options
What are the chances of someone needing to lose 97lbs will get loose skin.
How can i prevent this

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Lots of exercise :happy:
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Its not gonna be a perfect solution - but lose weight slowly so your body has time to adjust - 1lb/week is suggested. Drink lots of water. I also use BioOil to help with skin issues and stretchmarks. Best wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • Bells32
    Bells32 Posts: 15
    Options
    strength training, loofah and lotion, and don't lose to fast
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Its not gonna be a perfect solution - but lose weight slowly so your body has time to adjust - 1lb/week is suggested. Drink lots of water. I also use BioOil to help with skin issues and stretchmarks. Best wishes. :flowerforyou:
    You have lost a good amount of weight do you have any loose skin.
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find out about that, too. Unfortunately, everyone has their own opinion and there are a lot of "quick fixes" for sale that don't work. The best advice I've found is to make strength training a priority. Do it at least 3 times a week. Building muscle under the skin will keep it (somewhat) from sagging.. I don't speak from experience, because I haven't reached my weight loss goal yet. Just passing along the info from the majority of the articles I've read on this topic. Oh, also, don't try to lose more than 2 lbs a week, or you'll def end up with saggy skin.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm nervous about that too.. I started off needing to lost almost 30 lbs..but my belly hung a little down before I lost weight.. I'm hoping once I lose it , it will get smaller..good luck.. I've read lose weight slowly too..
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You have lost a good amount of weight do you have any loose skin.

I do not have a lot of loose skin - there is a little on my inner thigh and tummy - i do have stretch marks but the BioOil is helping with that. I also do strength training which i'm sure helps....
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    After i dropped 80lbs i was droopy around my legs and on my belly when i go on all fours but after time went by it does adjust. I was never perfect and neither is anyone else. it doesnt bother me that much.
  • urbanhomesteader
    Options
    i've lost 60 so far and have had issues with loose skin...pilates is my best friend in respects to this.
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ive been losing half to 1lb a week. also been doing lots of exercise dvds with weights in.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Exercise, lots of exercise
    I've lost nearly 60 lbs so far and I noticed the sag right away
    I started adding weight training 3 times a week, to fill in some spots
    It works for the most part, but I still get a bit of sag around my waist
    Hope that just goes away
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I lost 107lbs. in about an 18 month time span. I however gained 30 of it back, currently down 11lbs. though, and this time my skin is much more tighter in my stomach than when I lost before. Exercise a lot. However, you just may be one of those unlucky ones where sagging skin is just genetic. There is nothing you can do about it. After 3 c-sections, and losing all that weight I don't expect to look perfect (that's what the plastic surgeon is for once I'm done, of course I know this isn't an option for everyone).
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    lots of water and lotion... I use Vaseline intensive care coca butter (it's in a brown bottle) with straight vitamin e liquid after a shower...( vitamin E after shower still wet let soak in the towel off; then lotion) I know a couple people who have lost 100+ lbs and they were okay with skin...
    Also POSITIVE THINKING that the skin WILL contract! when I get all done I'll have lost 120 lbs so I'm with ya :)
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. That's an impossible question to answer.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Pinch the skin on the back of your hand. That is what lose skin looks like.

People who lose weight too fast, and do not exercise; are falling prey to two dististince issues.

1. Losing weight too fast
    2. Not exercising.

So, let's look at this logically - when you go on a diet, you are depriving your body of food. Connective tissue and muscles are EXCELLANT sources of protein - your body will search for protein sources - and will digest what it can find. When you lose weight rapidly - you are dropping the weight quickly because your body is forced to digest itself. Sometimes, this is faster than your skin can shrink. Now, couple that with the fact of little or no exercise - and you have fat laden skin, with gobs of fat clinging to it - and little connective tissue to hold it in place. What do you suppose it will do? Yup, it's gonna drape off of you - ugly.

What can you do to prevent this? Slow, consistent weight loss. This is a lifestyle change - not an overnight cure. This allows you to develop habits you intend to keep the rest of your life, while allowing your skin to shrink. Light walking at first, gradually getting more and more intense - will build muscles, and that vitally important connective tissue will be strengthened.

If you have saggy skin, what can you do about it? Well, surgery is the 'quick-fix'; but if you want to bypass the $15,000 operation and 6 week recovery - you can keep losing weight. The skin is sagging, because there is fat underneath it, and that fat is pulling the skin down, more than your connective tissue can keep it in place. So, keep dropping the weight. Remember, the lose skin on the back of your hand, is what skin with little subcutaneous fat looks like.

Eventually, with slow weight loss - and exercise - you will trim out. Patience. We didn't get big over-night; we won't get thin overnight either. Those of us who rush things (Biggest Losers) can have surgery as a prize; but for the rest of us, constant work and constant diet will get us to the same place. There are no fast and simple answers - pills just don't work.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I too have loose skin between my legs and on my lower stomach, but it is getting better as time goes on.
  • LKLDALLAS
    Options
    I don't really have that much weight to loose, but I have done extensive research on this topic for myself and for a friend of mine who has had gastric bypass and ended up with extensive loose skin. Here is what I learned:

1. Loose weight slowly - this gives your skin a chance to "snap back." Your skin is elastic, to a degree. Incrimental weight loss will give your body, mind, and skin a chance to adjust. Not only might this help with the appearance of your post-weight loss body, but you are likely to be more succesfful at keeping the weight off.

2. Water - lets keep our bodies and skin hydraded. Is your skin more elastic when hydrated? I don't know...but doing things to keep it at optimum health/functionality can't hurt.

3. Antioxidants - think of the things that are good for your skin, in general. Antioxidant rich foods (berries) and green tea. Let's set our skin up for success by giving it all the nutrients it needs to perform its functions at optimal levels - including maintaining elasticity.

4. Protein - this goes along with water and antioxidants. Protein is absolutely essential for tissue repair and it is the building blocks for amino acids (which are important natural moisturizing factors for your skin). You are likely using the Protein you eat in your diet already towards muscle repair after your workouts...so eat extra for your skin! Have a Protein shake directly after each workout to give your body ample supplies to repair muslces AND support essential skin cell functions. CVS makes a GREAT whey Protein shake in vanilla that you can blend with ice, strawberries (or blueberries) and a banana. It makes a super delicious and satisfying smoothie very similar to the Protein Berry Workout at Jamba Juice. I absolutely love it!

5. Weight Training - As you loose fat, you will want to increase muscle, so you will be "filling out" the gap somewhat. Having a nice, toned physique for your skin to cling to can only help your appearance after weight loss.

IF I had to choose which of these was most important, I'd say loosing weight slowly to give your body, mind, and skin time to adjust to your new exercise, calorie, fat level.

I hope this helps!